Wikiposts

Deer Ticks!!!!!

Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deer Ticks!!!!!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My wife found a tick on her stomach already this year and has already had her first case of poison ivy. It's really weird, she hasn't been in the woods at all, neither has the dog. Son and I are in the woods all the time and haven't seen any ticks or got any ivy. Her kind of luck I guess. We call the tiny tiny ticks (Looks like a sprinkling of moving pepper) seed ticks. I've been infested with hundreds of the bastards before and they are a real pain. Even after I remove them the itchy reaction I get from the bite is agonizing.

Anyway, when I know I'll be in the woods in tick season, I use Permanone (or something else with premethrin) on my clothes, making sure to coat my socks and boots especially well. This spray DOES NOT go directly on skin, and it's best if you treat your clothers and allow them to dry prior to putting them on. In a pinch I have treated my clothes as I was wearing them, but it's probably not a good idea. On any exposed skin, I use something with DEET, but products with higher concentrations of DEET are not supposed to be used on smaller children. For the dog, Frontline seems to do well. Ours still got some ticks but nowhere near as bad as he would have without it.
Ticks can drop off a pet and live for months and months under base boards, down the side of soft furnishings etc. When they need blood...out they come looking for a new host.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:56 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid that collars aren't much use -- I'd scrap it and use Frontline -- they say once a month, but I usually find that the dogs can go for two to three months between applications, as I don't like to OD on meds. The warm weather we had last Friday will bring out the ticks, I'm afraid. Also, check the children when they have been in the garden or the woods. I use tweezers to remove them from dogs and people, then dab the spot with alcohol. You can save the tick if you are concerned as to whether it might be carrying Lyme and they will look at it under the microscope at your doctor's office and let you know if there is cause for concern. The Lyme vaccine seems to be mostly effective, so your dog shouldn't have any after effects of the ticks.

One of my dogs had Lyme very badly before the vaccine was introduced, but just one has had it (and not badly) since the vaccine. I've had Lyme twice so far -- one has to be careful around here!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

There are tick diseases other than Lyme, in spite of monthly Frontline we had one dog last year nearly died from tick problems. We noticed a rapid weight loss, took him to the vet and she caught it in time. She told us than had we waited a little longer he would not have made it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:12 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
There are tick diseases other than Lyme,
Absolutely -- anaplasmosis (they used to call it ehrlichiosis) shows up a lot in dogs in CT. And the same unpleasant med, doxycycline, is used to treat it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, now I'm totally freaked out!!!! I'm going to go with the frontline suggestion as the collar is not working at all. I've had to pull 2 from the same spot so far this morning, had to phone the vet because he's had really bad diahrea so just hope that the ticks haven't passed something on to him, and the fact that they can drop off and live in your house is making me cringe
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
had to phone the vet because he's had really bad diahrea
Well, I hope your vet gets better soon!

(And your dog, of course )
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:38 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Right, now I'm totally freaked out!!!! I'm going to go with the frontline suggestion as the collar is not working at all. I've had to pull 2 from the same spot so far this morning, had to phone the vet because he's had really bad diahrea so just hope that the ticks haven't passed something on to him, and the fact that they can drop off and live in your house is making me cringe
Don't worry -- he probably just ate something silly as puppies do! The collars are kind of cosmetic, whereas the Frontline works through the bloodstream -- the tick takes a bite and goes yuk! something's not right here, and falls off. As I said, I've never found it necessary to apply it monthly, though you may want to do it for two months to build up the resistance, and then do it less often after that.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

A simple blood test is all that is needed to check for tick borne diseases
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Well, I hope your vet gets better soon!

(And your dog, of course )
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't worry -- he probably just ate something silly as puppies do! The collars are kind of cosmetic, whereas the Frontline works through the bloodstream -- the tick takes a bite and goes yuk! something's not right here, and falls off. As I said, I've never found it necessary to apply it monthly, though you may want to do it for two months to build up the resistance, and then do it less often after that.
Thanks for that Nutmegger, defo going for the Frontline stuff and I'm sure the runs is due to him eating everything and anything out of the yard
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:32 am
Deep in the woods of CT

I'm sure the runs is due to him eating everything and anything out of the yard
Put him on bland cooked ground chicken and rice to give his tummy a rest, then you can gradually phase his usual food back in again. Hope he's soon better -- puppies can "go" enough without any added provocation!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Put him on bland cooked ground chicken and rice to give his tummy a rest, then you can gradually phase his usual food back in again. Hope he's soon better -- puppies can "go" enough without any added provocation!
You can also give him half a Pepto Bismol tablet.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:54 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Move to Seattle

BUT I do frontline my dogs.. it is really good! or another natural remedy is a garlic powder called Bug off - I think that is what it is called...

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product..._garlic_d/dogs

This is a link, I don't use it as my dog is particularly sensitive to changes in her diet - she only likes horse poop, grass and sticks, Garlic would be sure to tip the balance - but I hear good things on it, bearing in mind our tick issues will be minor compared to yours!!

Good Luck!!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

This works for ticks as well its cheap and won't harm you or the pets.

HomeDepot, Lowes etc carry it.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=1022

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 21st 2011 at 2:48 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

We use frontline on both our dogs. They roam around outside most days and "touch wood" haven't found any ticks.
We also don't use it every month in the winter, but tend to every month in the spring/summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.