Deer Tick Bite

Old May 29th 2014, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deer Tick Bite

Originally Posted by kodokan
Hubby's been scorpion stung twice, my 10 yr old daughter twice (the first when she was 7) - we're quite casual about scorpions now! Which is lucky, as we currently have one in the sticky trap in my bathroom, and one in the trap in my daughter's bedroom (she has an external door).
Well understandably not casual. Having a 7 year old stung by a scorpion can't be nice. I remember seeing kids stung by weaver fish at the beach in the UK.

I wonder do you live near the base of a mountain? or near a wash? Those locations are prone to scorpions apparently.
Old May 29th 2014, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yeah, I knew there was a reason I pay someone to spray the house every two months.
To keep the moose down?
Old May 29th 2014, 10:41 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
We have plenty of deer, hoping to pull a tag this year, came across 3 walking the dog today, but I have never heard of Deer Ticks being an issue.

We came across a couple of Moose last week, big and fast buggers, Moose Ticks would probably be more interesting.
Yes, you're lucky. Living in Colorado the biggest tick danger is Colorado Tick Fever from the Rocky Mountain wood tick (they like large game like moose) or the American dog tick.

This gives you a bad case of flu lasting a few days but rarely any other complications. (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, despite its name, is supposed to be rare in CO.)

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05593.html
Old May 29th 2014, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
To keep the moose down?
Moose bites can be rather nasty you know. My sister was bitten by a moose once...
Old May 29th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Moose bites can be rather nasty you know. My sister was bitten by a moose once...
ROFL
Old May 29th 2014, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Well understandably not casual. Having a 7 year old stung by a scorpion can't be nice. I remember seeing kids stung by weaver fish at the beach in the UK.

I wonder do you live near the base of a mountain? or near a wash? Those locations are prone to scorpions apparently.
She seems to get stung by everything - a wasp before she was even one, a couple of bees so far, and now scorpions; she's consequently quite casual about it now. My 14 yr old has never been stung once!

My cross streets are McDowell and Val Vista, so it's an 'edge of the desert, former citrus groves' thing. Although her first scorpion was in the middle of Gilbert, when we first came over to look around the area prior to moving and had only been in AZ for a week. Like I said, if there's a stinging thing nearby, it'll find her!

I do my own spraying using CyKick, and it does help. There's a startling difference on our black lighting after a spray bout (every 1-2 months in summer, maybe once during winter). I've found simply wetting the ground in a mist has little effect, but squirting the stuff in a fine jet into the block wall cracks is miraculously effective.
Old May 30th 2014, 4:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I got an email that my tick has been received by the lab, and that "my" tick was female and was engorged.

She certainly didn't look engorged to me--she was so bl$$dy tiny, I thought she was a spot of dirt. But apparently she had drunk blood (probably mine) for a little while at least. They're testing for three diseases, and the results will take 3-5 days.

Meanwhile I've not felt well, but maybe that was because of the doxycycline dose, which is only now leaving my system (strong stuff). The bite has hurt now and again, but it and the bruise/rash are slowly fading. Both legs are somewhat swollen and have itchy patches that come & go, which I can ignore during the day but which become irksome at night. Again, I don't know if this is the doxy (some people report itchy skin from it) or possible Lyme, or some other possible disease the tick could have had (anaplasmosis, babesia).

Wish me luck. I'd love to have this tick turn up negative for Lyme, but I think I might go have the test in a few weeks anyway. False negatives aren't unheard of..........
Old May 30th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I got an email that my tick has been received by the lab, and that "my" tick was female and was engorged.

She certainly didn't look engorged to me--she was so bl$$dy tiny, I thought she was a spot of dirt. But apparently she had drunk blood (probably mine) for a little while at least. They're testing for three diseases, and the results will take 3-5 days.

Meanwhile I've not felt well, but maybe that was because of the doxycycline dose, which is only now leaving my system (strong stuff). The bite has hurt now and again, but it and the bruise/rash are slowly fading. Both legs are somewhat swollen and have itchy patches that come & go, which I can ignore during the day but which become irksome at night. Again, I don't know if this is the doxy (some people report itchy skin from it) or possible Lyme, or some other possible disease the tick could have had (anaplasmosis, babesia).

Wish me luck. I'd love to have this tick turn up negative for Lyme, but I think I might go have the test in a few weeks anyway. False negatives aren't unheard of..........
Oh dear...good luck.
Old May 30th 2014, 11:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
A tip, if you are bitten by a tick it is better, if you can, not to rip it off forcibly but to burn it with the end of a lit cigarette. So it retracts its jaws and can be removed with minimal force.
I thought that was a myth.
Old May 31st 2014, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought that was a myth.
It ith...
Old May 31st 2014, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
It ith...
Along with covering the tick with hair spray, nail polish remover etc.
Old May 31st 2014, 3:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Along with covering the tick with hair spray, nail polish remover etc.
In the UK, the RSPT* are dead against all those strategies.

*Royal Society for the Protection of Ticks.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH DEER TICKS.
In my opinion and in that of some doctors, if you have a deer tick bite at all, you should take the antibiotics just to be safe. But this is controversial.

There is no human vaccine, the one that was in development did not work enough to be licensed, though approved for animals.
On the first point - controversial because it is a terrible idea for the good of humanity. Ever heard the phrase "post-antibiotic era?" Hopefully, it remains merely theoretical, however every unnecessary antibiotic prescription brings it closer.

On the second point - utter nonsense - there was a safe and effective human Lyme vaccine produced by GSK. They withdrew it from market in the face of poor sales and nonsense lawsuits designed to force them to lose money/pull it from market by the anti-vaccination nutjob crowd.

In the US, the anti-vaccine nuts cannot legally sue over adverse effects alleged from routine childhood vaccines. Instead, vaccines are taxed (which is just sad... but necessary due to the anti-vac nuts) and settlements to their nonsense allegations (and the occasional true adverse reaction) are paid for from that tax fund. Lyme wasn't a routine childhood vaccine, thus leaving GSK open to nonsense lawsuits.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Markie

On the second point - utter nonsense - there was a safe and effective human Lyme vaccine produced by GSK. They withdrew it from market in the face of poor sales and nonsense lawsuits designed to force them to lose money/pull it from market by the anti-vaccination nutjob crowd.
There seems to be quite a clamour to resurrect the vaccine, because of the rates of infection, and the evolved immunity in the tick disease to antibiotics.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markie
On the first point - controversial because it is a terrible idea for the good of humanity. Ever heard the phrase "post-antibiotic era?" Hopefully, it remains merely theoretical, however every unnecessary antibiotic prescription brings it closer.

In the US, the anti-vaccine nuts cannot legally sue over adverse effects alleged from routine childhood vaccines. Instead, vaccines are taxed (which is just sad... but necessary due to the anti-vac nuts) and settlements to their nonsense allegations (and the occasional true adverse reaction) are paid for from that tax fund. Lyme wasn't a routine childhood vaccine, thus leaving GSK open to nonsense lawsuits.
I know what you mean, Markie, about overuse of antibiotics. But people with undiagnosed Lyme disease (because they didn't realise they were bitten by a tick, didn't have any of the typical symptoms, or had such mild symptoms they didn't notice), can much later get dreadful neurological or arthritic or brain consequences that can ruin a life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.