Deep fried turkeys

Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deep fried turkeys

Originally Posted by Bob
There was a thread on this last turkey season...
and the year before...and the year before that...etc....
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:59 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Will it never stop?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Will it never stop?
We can stop it if we all start eating Menudo for TXG
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
We can stop it if we all start eating Menudo for TXG
I had to Google it when I saw it mentioned in the other thread. Tripe stew!!!

Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:08 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I had to Google it when I saw it mentioned in the other thread. Tripe stew!!!

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/ne...n-sick-146.gif
Nom nom nom yummy.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There was a thread on this last turkey season...
Oops! Sorry!

Well, you guys have sealed the deal as far as I'm concerned.

Cons:

*Frying (can't get my head around the frying part)
*Potential fire hazard
*Peanut oil (I'm allergic to peanuts!)
*Possible dry bird
*Wizened old man resemblance!

Pros:

*Him indoors - no, outdoors doing the cooking!

And as for Thanksgiving .. we're going out now LOL
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:13 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mandana
Has anyone either had one, or better still, bought a deep-fat frier and cooked one?

I have to say it sounds utterly disgusting to me, but my OH has been raving about it - so much so he's looked up the frier and is threatening to buy one

So, do they get a or a

It's really good, I fry, smoke and my wife bakes one every thanksgiving. I usually prefer the smoked one, but sometimes I like the fried one the best. And I always eat the skin on the fried one. Use 100% peanut oil
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Plus last year some distant relative kept coming into the kitchen asking how much longer before she could mix her marshmallow/fruit salad (blech!) while I was trying to get the sweet potatoes to finish roasting. I was about ready to roast her.

Yikes, I would have thrown her out bodily along with her marshmellow fruit salad (Ambrosia?????) ingredients. Could you not have handed her a double strength martini and shoved her into a corner in the living room?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
It's really good, I fry, smoke and my wife bakes one every thanksgiving. I usually prefer the smoked one, but sometimes I like the fried one the best. And I always eat the skin on the fried one. Use 100% peanut oil

OMG you found someone to marry you?????????????????????????

And stay married to you??????????????????????????????

I'm aghast. Come on ladies, this poor woman needs an intervention ASAP.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It was probably about 4 years ago now, I think it was our first Thanksgiving after we moved out of the apartment, but anyway - someone on our street managed to burn their house down with one of those things.

Because we were unincorporated fire departments from at least 3 towns showed up, I saw at least 8 appliances going down the road (where they met a dead end and all had to reverse back up again when they were done). The house was at the bottom of a reasonably steep hill but you could see the tips of the flames above the tree line. No-one was hurt, thankfully. After having a yarn with the firefighters on their way back up the street, it seems like they had thrown in a still frozen turkey and buggered off out to the shops, only to come home and find the house ablaze and 3 towns worth of fire engines and water trucks all around putting it out.

I know I don't cook them so I am in no position to talk but I'd miss not having the house filled with the smell of roasting turkey as it cooks, and my wife doesn't seem to mind anyway. I've had deep fried turkey legs outside of Thanksgiving though, they're not too bad but just not the same as roasted.

Deep fryers are for chips, and the associated battered goodies you get from the chippy (and the occasional Mars bar )
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:38 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

If they are good enough for Captain Kirk, they are good enough for anyone.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We had two fried ones last year at various times. The one that was freshly fried was sort of OK, but it turned out a bit greasy. The one that was cooked the day before was disgustingly greasy. Think we'll be back to baking this year, but the jury is still out...a family divided

I was in Home Depot the other day and they are selling fat free turkey friers... huh? Apparently its as quick as frying, but it uses infrared heat instead of hot oil so is supopsed to be both safer and healthier. Anyone tried one? Do they work?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I was in Home Depot the other day and they are selling fat free turkey friers... huh? Apparently its as quick as frying, but it uses infrared heat instead of hot oil so is supopsed to be both safer and healthier. Anyone tried one? Do they work?
My friend in the UK who is on a permanent diet (but loves chips) has had one of those for a long time, she says the chips are fantastic and you cant taste the difference. However nobody who's been there has ever been offered any and didn't people say that about oven chips when they first came out, which I think taste like cardboard.

Lets face it chips taste good because they're fried in fat.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Someone posted a while ago that they had one of those no fat fryers. Said the chips tasted good. I looked at the prices at the time and they were about $300 if I remember correctly.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted a while ago that they had one of those no fat fryers. Said the chips tasted good. I looked at the prices at the time and they were about $300 if I remember correctly.
I think the one I saw was cheaper than that as I thought "hmm..maybe give that shot"...and I'm too tight to shell out 300 on a long shot..$99 rings a bell - will have a closer look next time I'm in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.