Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:38 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Nothings wrong with it, I just thought that finding Americans strange for using "gotten" while at the same time using the word "ghastly" was a bit ironic. If "gotten" makes you sound like a moron in the UK, "ghastly" (in my opinion) makes you sound like a bit of a foppish dandy in the States. "Ghastly" is what the Jeeves says when confronted with a white dinner jacket with bright brass buttons.

Not that Jeeves is a foppish dandy... it's more that... I mean... ah **** it.
"Gotten" fell out of use in "British English" somewhere round the time the Pilgrim Fathers set sail, in the Mayflower, so it's not really surprising it would sound funny to a Brit, is it? Particularly coming from a Brit, on a British forum.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
"Gotten" fell out of use in "British English" somewhere round the time the Pilgrim Fathers set sail, in the Mayflower, so it's not really surprising it would sound funny to a Brit, is it? Particularly coming from a Brit, on a British forum.
I think you forgot to say "Oooooooooo" at the start of that, as is the way us Brits speak, as I am reliably informed ...
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:43 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No, you sound like a big girl.
Being that I own a penis, I don't place much significance on the shooting of guns, magnums or otherwise.
You should hook up with willmore, the two of you'd get on like a house on fire ...
I think there are three options here:
1. You suffer from terminal "inability to sense a joke on the internet, even when smilies are included" syndrome.
2. You are just bored and trying to spark something, anything that will relieve this terminal boredom.
3. You're a jerk.

I began by thinking we were in a "1" situation. Now I'm thinking we're in a number "2" situation (haw). It would be simply ghastly of me to even consider that we're in a "3" situation.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:45 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

... populated entirely by people who live in the States. Though perhaps that was ghastly of me to make that comment.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Que?
If you'd had a better education, perhaps you would have understood. Bet you wish you had, eh?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are three options here:
1. You suffer from terminal "inability to sense a joke on the internet, even when smilies are included" syndrome.
2. You are just bored and trying to spark something, anything that will relieve this terminal boredom.
3. You're a jerk.

I began by thinking we were in a "1" situation. Now I'm thinking we're in a number "2" situation (haw). It would be simply ghastly of me to even consider that we're in a "3" situation.
We're in a number "5" situation - you have mistaken me for someone who gives two shits about the opinion of anyone other than myself unless it suits me to do otherwise ...

That means I'm combining numbers 2 and 3, though I prefer to self-identify as a c***, but that's a matter of preference.

... populated entirely by people who live in the States. Though perhaps that was ghastly of me to make that comment.
There's a big, wide world outside the USA forums. Being an American, I can excuse you for not knowing that, of course.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:01 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

The fact any of us have decided to frequent this forum, illustrates that we all want to retain our "Britishness", does it not? Some of us (though, obviously, not you), are easily able to employ American usage, when doing business, but lapse back into British usage, when conversing with our fellow countrymen.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

Oh dear....this is all going a bit pear shaped isn't it.

Do I need to close this thread? Or can we all kiss, make up and take the mick out of the French instead?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob

Do I need to close this thread? Or can we all kiss, make up and take the mick out of the French instead?
If a Frenchie comes in and starts using English incorrectly, then I'm fully on board with your excellent suggestion Bob, old boy.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
take the mick out of the French instead?
Can we do that anyway?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:51 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by Bob

Close one of Sue's threads? Go on then, Bob ...
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Close one of Sue's threads? Go on then, Bob ...
Well that's why I was giving everyone a olive branch...that and well, everyone takes the mick out of the French anyway
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:00 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by Bob
Well that's why I was giving everyone a olive branch...that and well, everyone takes the mick out of the French anyway
Well, let's just pretend Hiro's a frog then.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I only happened to mention that I hated the word 'gotten' & all hell breaks loose. I seemed to have turned into a troll . How simply ghastly

Now about the Frogs......
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear ... what have I started?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.