British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/dear-america-%7C-david-mitchells-soapbox-749021/)

Sue Feb 19th 2012 4:17 pm

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

I've done a search and can't find this in this section ... so apologies, if you seen it before ... but for those who haven't .... enjoy!

I've only just come across it and laughed my head off (not literally)

cluedweasel Feb 19th 2012 4:51 pm

Re: Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

I love David Mitchell. I don't think we're entirely innocent of phrases that make no sense. Can anyone explain "it would be cheap at half the price" to describe something inexpensive? Of course it would be. A $160,000 Ferrari would be (comparatively) cheap at $80,000 but it doesn't mean it's a bargain at $160,000. then again, maybe I'm grabbing the wrong end of the stick :)

CAdreaming Feb 19th 2012 6:08 pm

LOL LOL LOL thanks Sue!! I especially love the 'erbs!! what is all that about!!!
Just played it for DH - he just said the guy talks too much - like all us Brits and that he could care less!!!!! :rofl::rofl: Touchy!!!!

Karrie72 Feb 19th 2012 8:27 pm

That is just too funny!

Bob Feb 19th 2012 8:46 pm

I've seen a few of them in the past and they are great aren't they....one of the few worth subscribing to on Youtube :)

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 19th 2012 10:03 pm

I like this a lot. I get on my soapbox about the use of 'gotten' it's 'got'.:frown:

Rant over:rofl:

Captain Cheesestick Feb 19th 2012 10:08 pm

This belongs here as well then.

fatbrit Feb 19th 2012 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9910500)
I like this a lot. I get on my soapbox about the use of 'gotten' it's 'got'.:frown:

Rant over:rofl:

Gotten is fine.

British English - get, got, got
American English - get, got, gotten

CAdreaming Feb 19th 2012 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex (Post 9910505)
This belongs here as well then.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xUdaPNXC_68

OMG I love this!!! DH is out - cant wait till he gets home to show him!!! Hes going to love it -NOT!!! :eek:

Sheepdip Feb 20th 2012 1:11 am

The one that drives me mad is using 'no' in place of 'not' as in: -

"Did you do that or no?"

WTF?!?

robin1234 Feb 20th 2012 1:44 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9910519)
Gotten is fine.

British English - get, got, got
American English - get, got, gotten

And of course, "gotten" was standard in British English three hundred years ago.

tonrob Feb 20th 2012 5:43 am

Originally Posted by cluedweasel (Post 9910162)
I love David Mitchell. I don't think we're entirely innocent of phrases that make no sense. Can anyone explain "it would be cheap at half the price" to describe something inexpensive? Of course it would be. A $160,000 Ferrari would be (comparatively) cheap at $80,000 but it doesn't mean it's a bargain at $160,000. then again, maybe I'm grabbing the wrong end of the stick :)

I believe the phrase is "would be cheap at twice the price". That makes more sense.

Lord_GG_Byron Feb 20th 2012 5:46 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9910664)
And of course, "gotten" was standard in British English three hundred years ago.

Just like ain't, but we're considered uncouth for using it.

Egg and Cress Feb 20th 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9910142)
I've done a search and can't find this in this section ... so apologies, if you seen it before ... but for those who haven't .... enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

I've only just come across it and laughed my head off (not literally)

Gee, if that's all we have to do to gain the respect of you Brits, I should think we could handle that! I've been browbeaten into saying Herbs by my resident Brit, but it still feels alien on my lips. Now he's working on gair-edge instead of my gar-ahdje. :lol: I really like this clip - guess I'll have to see what else I can find by David Mitchell. :thumbsup: Thanks for my first chuckle of the day! :D

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 2:42 pm

"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" isn't a proper American expression either, it's incorrect here as well. People who say that are generally disreputable types who say "irregardless", spell the possessive of "it" as "it's" and the like.

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 2:43 pm

What the hell has happened to my fellow Brits? 'Gotten' is a ****ing ghastly word. If this was 1702 I'd say the exact same thing ...

njmackem Feb 20th 2012 2:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJQsvoY6VU

I love this one as well..

GeoffM Feb 20th 2012 2:48 pm

I must admit I didn't even know that "gotten" was not a current British word. I guess I've gotten used to it over the years and it's become a bit of a de facto standard.

Oops.

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9911314)
What the hell has happened to my fellow Brits? 'Gotten' is a ****ing ghastly word. If this was 1702 I'd say the exact same thing ...

It's so "ghastly" that I was forced to clutch my perfumed kerchief to my nose to ward off the vapors. Dear me.

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911325)
It's so "ghastly" that I was forced to clutch my perfumed kerchief to my nose to ward off the vapors. Dear me.

That's right, you're the one who thinks anyone who doesn't like something American is directing it at you personally. Do carry on. Or grow up, whichever one you wish to choose.

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9911330)
That's right, you're the one who thinks anyone who doesn't like something American is directing it at you personally. Do carry on. Or grow up, whichever one you wish to choose.

??? It was a joke. You think gotten is silly, I think ghastly is silly. Lighten up a little.

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911337)
??? It was a joke. You think gotten is silly, I think ghastly is silly. Lighten up a little.

Meh. You're spoiling my entertainment now by giving up too easily.

fatbrit Feb 20th 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911313)
and the like.

The like that irritates me with the US population is the seeming inability to form a conditional sentence and--grammatically related--the failure to shift one tense backwards when expressing a wish.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 20th 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9911314)

That is one of the American English words I vehemently refuse to embrace.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911325)

We Brits spell it "vapours", thank you so much. Anyway, what the heck is wrong with ghastly?

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9911373)
That is one of the American English words I vehemently refuse to embrace.

We Brits spell it "vapours", thank you so much. Anyway, what the heck is wrong with ghastly?

Perhaps I should have gone all Belfast and said "****in' mingin'" instead :lol:

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9911373)
Anyway, what the heck is wrong with ghastly?

Nothings wrong with it, I just thought that finding Americans strange for using "gotten" while at the same time using the word "ghastly" was a bit ironic. If "gotten" makes you sound like a moron in the UK, "ghastly" (in my opinion) makes you sound like a bit of a foppish dandy in the States. "Ghastly" is what the Jeeves says when confronted with a white dinner jacket with bright brass buttons. :p

Not that Jeeves is a foppish dandy... it's more that... I mean... ah **** it.

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9911356)
The like that irritates me with the US population is the seeming inability to form a conditional sentence and--grammatically related--the failure to shift one tense backwards when expressing a wish.

Que?

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911626)
Nothings wrong with it, I just thought that finding Americans strange for using "gotten" while at the same time using the word "ghastly" was a bit ironic. If "gotten" makes you sound like a moron in the UK, "ghastly" (in my opinion) makes you sound like a bit of a foppish dandy in the States. "Ghastly" is what the Jeeves says when confronted with a white dinner jacket with bright brass buttons. :p

Geography is not part of the equation - one sounds like a twat for saying "gotten" anywhere in the world. Furthermore, there are worse people to sound like than Stephen Fry, to be perfectly honest. He, for example, knows how to use an apostrophe for a start ... :whistle:

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9911637)
Geography is not part of the equation - one sounds like a twat for saying "gotten" anywhere in the world.

I may sound like a ghastly, beastly brute for saying so but... "says you"!

Furthermore, there are worse people to sound like than Stephen Fry, to be perfectly honest. He, for example, knows how to use an apostrophe for a start ... :whistle:
Yeah but then you sound like Stephen Fry shooting a magnum in that special he did: "My word!"

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911647)
I may sound like a ghastly, beastly brute for saying so but... "says you"!

No, you sound like a big girl.

Yeah but then you sound like Stephen Fry shooting a magnum in that special he did: "My word!"

Being that I own a penis, I don't place much significance on the shooting of guns, magnums or otherwise.

Also, we don' need no steenkin' high commas round these parts.

*sigh*

You should hook up with willmore, the two of you'd get on like a house on fire ...

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 20th 2012 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911626)

Not that Jeeves is a foppish dandy... it's more that... I mean... ah **** it.

"Gotten" fell out of use in "British English" somewhere round the time the Pilgrim Fathers set sail, in the Mayflower, so it's not really surprising it would sound funny to a Brit, is it? Particularly coming from a Brit, on a British forum.

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9911663)
"Gotten" fell out of use in "British English" somewhere round the time the Pilgrim Fathers set sail, in the Mayflower, so it's not really surprising it would sound funny to a Brit, is it? Particularly coming from a Brit, on a British forum.

I think you forgot to say "Oooooooooo" at the start of that, as is the way us Brits speak, as I am reliably informed ...

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9911659)
No, you sound like a big girl.
Being that I own a penis, I don't place much significance on the shooting of guns, magnums or otherwise.
You should hook up with willmore, the two of you'd get on like a house on fire ...

I think there are three options here:
1. You suffer from terminal "inability to sense a joke on the internet, even when smilies are included" syndrome.
2. You are just bored and trying to spark something, anything that will relieve this terminal boredom.
3. You're a jerk.

I began by thinking we were in a "1" situation. Now I'm thinking we're in a number "2" situation (haw). It would be simply ghastly of me to even consider that we're in a "3" situation.

Hiro11 Feb 20th 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9911663)

... populated entirely by people who live in the States. ;) Though perhaps that was ghastly of me to make that comment.

fatbrit Feb 20th 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911630)
Que?

If you'd had a better education, perhaps you would have understood. Bet you wish you had, eh?

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911671)
I think there are three options here:
1. You suffer from terminal "inability to sense a joke on the internet, even when smilies are included" syndrome.
2. You are just bored and trying to spark something, anything that will relieve this terminal boredom.
3. You're a jerk.

I began by thinking we were in a "1" situation. Now I'm thinking we're in a number "2" situation (haw). It would be simply ghastly of me to even consider that we're in a "3" situation.

We're in a number "5" situation - you have mistaken me for someone who gives two shits about the opinion of anyone other than myself unless it suits me to do otherwise ...

That means I'm combining numbers 2 and 3, though I prefer to self-identify as a c***, but that's a matter of preference.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911673)
... populated entirely by people who live in the States. ;) Though perhaps that was ghastly of me to make that comment.

There's a big, wide world outside the USA forums. Being an American, I can excuse you for not knowing that, of course.

:whistle:

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 20th 2012 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9911673)

The fact any of us have decided to frequent this forum, illustrates that we all want to retain our "Britishness", does it not? Some of us (though, obviously, not you), are easily able to employ American usage, when doing business, but lapse back into British usage, when conversing with our fellow countrymen.

Bob Feb 20th 2012 8:37 pm

Oh dear....this is all going a bit pear shaped isn't it.

Do I need to close this thread? Or can we all kiss, make up and take the mick out of the French instead?

SultanOfSwing Feb 20th 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9911855)
Oh dear....this is all going a bit pear shaped isn't it.

Do I need to close this thread? Or can we all kiss, make up and take the mick out of the French instead?

If a Frenchie comes in and starts using English incorrectly, then I'm fully on board with your excellent suggestion Bob, old boy.

:)

GeoffM Feb 20th 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9911855)
take the mick out of the French instead?

Can we do that anyway? :rofl: