Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox

What the hell has happened to my fellow Brits? 'Gotten' is a ****ing ghastly word. If this was 1702 I'd say the exact same thing ...
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJQsvoY6VU

I love this one as well..
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I didn't even know that "gotten" was not a current British word. I guess I've gotten used to it over the years and it's become a bit of a de facto standard.

Oops.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:49 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
What the hell has happened to my fellow Brits? 'Gotten' is a ****ing ghastly word. If this was 1702 I'd say the exact same thing ...
It's so "ghastly" that I was forced to clutch my perfumed kerchief to my nose to ward off the vapors. Dear me.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's so "ghastly" that I was forced to clutch my perfumed kerchief to my nose to ward off the vapors. Dear me.
That's right, you're the one who thinks anyone who doesn't like something American is directing it at you personally. Do carry on. Or grow up, whichever one you wish to choose.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:56 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, you're the one who thinks anyone who doesn't like something American is directing it at you personally. Do carry on. Or grow up, whichever one you wish to choose.
??? It was a joke. You think gotten is silly, I think ghastly is silly. Lighten up a little.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:00 pm
I have a comma problem

??? It was a joke. You think gotten is silly, I think ghastly is silly. Lighten up a little.
Meh. You're spoiling my entertainment now by giving up too easily.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and the like.
The like that irritates me with the US population is the seeming inability to form a conditional sentence and--grammatically related--the failure to shift one tense backwards when expressing a wish.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:13 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

That is one of the American English words I vehemently refuse to embrace.

We Brits spell it "vapours", thank you so much. Anyway, what the heck is wrong with ghastly?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:15 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
That is one of the American English words I vehemently refuse to embrace.

We Brits spell it "vapours", thank you so much. Anyway, what the heck is wrong with ghastly?
Perhaps I should have gone all Belfast and said "****in' mingin'" instead
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:10 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Anyway, what the heck is wrong with ghastly?
Nothings wrong with it, I just thought that finding Americans strange for using "gotten" while at the same time using the word "ghastly" was a bit ironic. If "gotten" makes you sound like a moron in the UK, "ghastly" (in my opinion) makes you sound like a bit of a foppish dandy in the States. "Ghastly" is what the Jeeves says when confronted with a white dinner jacket with bright brass buttons.

Not that Jeeves is a foppish dandy... it's more that... I mean... ah **** it.

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 20th 2012 at 6:15 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:13 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The like that irritates me with the US population is the seeming inability to form a conditional sentence and--grammatically related--the failure to shift one tense backwards when expressing a wish.
Que?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Nothings wrong with it, I just thought that finding Americans strange for using "gotten" while at the same time using the word "ghastly" was a bit ironic. If "gotten" makes you sound like a moron in the UK, "ghastly" (in my opinion) makes you sound like a bit of a foppish dandy in the States. "Ghastly" is what the Jeeves says when confronted with a white dinner jacket with bright brass buttons.
Geography is not part of the equation - one sounds like a twat for saying "gotten" anywhere in the world. Furthermore, there are worse people to sound like than Stephen Fry, to be perfectly honest. He, for example, knows how to use an apostrophe for a start ...
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:29 pm
I approved this message

Geography is not part of the equation - one sounds like a twat for saying "gotten" anywhere in the world.
I may sound like a ghastly, beastly brute for saying so but... "says you"!

Furthermore, there are worse people to sound like than Stephen Fry, to be perfectly honest. He, for example, knows how to use an apostrophe for a start ...
Yeah but then you sound like Stephen Fry shooting a magnum in that special he did: "My word!"

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 20th 2012 at 6:33 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:35 pm
I have a comma problem

I may sound like a ghastly, beastly brute for saying so but... "says you"!
No, you sound like a big girl.

Yeah but then you sound like Stephen Fry shooting a magnum in that special he did: "My word!"
Being that I own a penis, I don't place much significance on the shooting of guns, magnums or otherwise.

Also, we don' need no steenkin' high commas round these parts.
*sigh*

You should hook up with willmore, the two of you'd get on like a house on fire ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.