data breaches!

Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:21 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default data breaches!

Another day and another letter - this time from Delta.com.
"Cyber incident" = unauthorised access to card details used on their site.

I have to say that I am totally and utterly fed up with all this.
Freeze credit reference accounts and would you believe that they charge you to unfreeze- this absolutely takes the biscuit from bloody experian. Remind them that their ineptitude was the reason for freezing in the first place??

Come on techies, there must be a way out of this. Block chain?

In France, we had to use one time codes issued by the bank to buy anything online. At the time it felt like stupid french overkill but now, it seems totally realistic.

rant almost over....
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: data breaches!

Oh dear, blockchain buzzword alert.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:49 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Oh dear, blockchain buzzword alert.
yes, I know I've already had eldest daughter - CS major- going on about how many much better distributed systems there are.

but seriously, have you nothing useful to add if you are such a techie????
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
yes, I know I've already had eldest daughter - CS major- going on about how many much better distributed systems there are.

but seriously, have you nothing useful to add if you are such a techie????
Wow, harsh.

Unfortunately it's inevitable that companies with outdated IT infrastructure and policies are going to be breached. Many of these companies are just reacting to disaster, rather than proactively checking (aka penetration testing).

I'm struggling for the life of me to remember, but there is a free service that will give you debit card numbers that you can switch out at the click of a button to use online that are linked to your checking account. The idea is that you use a different debit card number for different websites and can either pause them in between or just remove them.

Sometimes I wonder if this is a service banks should start to offer, given how we won't be seeing much improvement in online transacting for a long time to go. That said, how many people still use the same password for every website? I would guess and say the absolute majority.

3DSecure was an okay idea in the UK, but people still chose easy passwords and saw it as an inconvenience.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Note what I said about generating card numbers is similar to how apple pay and Android pay work. They're using tokenised payments.

Basically for all purposes a card number is generated (fits luhn check etc) and that bundled with some other elements is used to process the transaction.

If you have the option to pay online using those it'll be much safer.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

It's so common and widespread that it's not worth even worrying about. Most breaches aren't even found (or admitted to) until a couple of years after the fact.

Freezing is only partially effective anyhow, not to mention inconvenient.

Keep an eye on your reports and that's about it. Always use credit instead of debit .. may as well be inconvenienced with someone else's money instead of your own.

My last (known) breaches were all from in-store register purchases.

/ obligatory <lol blockchain> goes here.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

OK, what's blockchain ... ?
Old Apr 19th 2018, 11:36 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW Capital One have a function that allows you to use virtual credit card and create a new number for each vendor so I imagine all the other cards will do the same at some point.
https://www.capitalone.com/applicati...l_id=EWE_modal
Old Apr 20th 2018, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
FWIW Capital One have a function that allows you to use virtual credit card and create a new number for each vendor so I imagine all the other cards will do the same at some point.
https://www.capitalone.com/applicati...l_id=EWE_modal
Capital One
Bank of America
Citibank

All have options for virtual credit card numbers.

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 20th 2018 at 4:47 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrken30
Capital One
Bank of America
Citibank

All have options for virtual credit card numbers.
Interesting. Didn't realize that mainstream banks have started to offer this.