Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dash Cams - Do you use/have them?

Dash Cams - Do you use/have them?

Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dash Cams - Do you use/have them?

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I recall one like that, and one where the biker was stopped by the police and "asked" to show his footage.
I could be wrong but I thought even in the UK they would need a warrant to see it. If they gave it up without question then 'dummies' still applies.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I could be wrong but I thought even in the UK they would need a warrant to see it. If they gave it up without question then 'dummies' still applies.
Yes, I wondered that too, hence the quotes. Agreed on the latter
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:57 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I got a $10 one on amazon a year ago and a $30 32gb sd card. I actually haven't checked for about 6 months to see if it still records. When I remember to turn it on, it records 5 min segments and should hold 2 hours. So about 2 days of commuting. Supposed to save footage if you get hit, or press the save button.

edit: just checked and it is still recording, and its 32gb and at least 2 hours saved on it.Supposed to be HD but can barely read the plate of the car in front. Good enough for my needs!

Last edited by RICH; Jul 10th 2018 at 9:58 pm. Reason: added info
Old Jul 11th 2018, 4:08 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased A119C's from Amazon for my wife and I. Good price point, very reliable, 1080p, good field of vision, polarized lens for glare, decent night vision, runs via capacitor so heat isn't an issue.
Also purchased a couple of install kits that wire the camera directly to the fuse box, so it's set-and-forget - highly recommend.

I've pulled some interesting footage from it once or twice, but thankfully haven't needed it for any road accidents so far.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I purchased A119C's from Amazon for my wife and I. Good price point, very reliable, 1080p, good field of vision, polarized lens for glare, decent night vision, runs via capacitor so heat isn't an issue.
Can you elaborate on this please? I'm an Electrical Engineer and I don't quite understand the role of a capacitor in this regard, and how it relates to heat ...

Generally, the 'heat' concern would be that the dash of a car is an exceptionally hot place, and anything with electronics inside is going to have to be designed with very heat-tolerant parts - which tends to drive up prices. Also, any plastic case is likely to suffer over time, not to mention optics if they are molded plastic lenses, and any battery that the unit may have.

ETA: I just looked up the item in question .. https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-Version-GPS-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01HN0HBFG ...it does say " There’s no battery to charge, and the capacitor-type connection senses when the ignition is started and shut off, so the video is always recording when you’re on the go. ".Still not getting what this is all about!

Originally Posted by TheLeester
... . Best thing I like about it is parking mode. So long as you use a fuse tap to put it in a fuse way that is always on, it will take time lapsed video back and front. It detects if anyone hits you while you are parked and away from your vehicle and then saves the footage. It has voltage detection so it doesnt drain your battery.
Leaving the unit on the dash while parked does present the rather obvious problem of theft ... not much use having a dash cam in the car to prevent theft if the dash cam itself can be stolen!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jul 12th 2018 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

I've fitted these into my wife's car and mine.
EBAY SELLER

I hard wired ours into the back of the rear-view mirrors, so they are pretty much hidden from view. They use a micro-SD card for storage.

It's good to watch the crazies...
Here's a video snip I captured one morning:
WHEELIE
Old Jul 13th 2018, 1:48 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can you elaborate on this please? I'm an Electrical Engineer and I don't quite understand the role of a capacitor in this regard, and how it relates to heat ...

Generally, the 'heat' concern would be that the dash of a car is an exceptionally hot place, and anything with electronics inside is going to have to be designed with very heat-tolerant parts - which tends to drive up prices. Also, any plastic case is likely to suffer over time, not to mention optics if they are molded plastic lenses, and any battery that the unit may have.

ETA: I just looked up the item in question .. https://www.amazon.com/SpyTec-Versio.../dp/B01HN0HBFG ...it does say " There’s no battery to charge, and the capacitor-type connection senses when the ignition is started and shut off, so the video is always recording when you’re on the go. ".Still not getting what this is all about!

Leaving the unit on the dash while parked does present the rather obvious problem of theft ... not much use having a dash cam in the car to prevent theft if the dash cam itself can be stolen!
I'm no engineer, but my understanding is that standard lithium batteries are much more prone to failure in long periods of extended heat (e.g. inside a vehicle in AZ or Southern California summers etc.).