Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Dangerous Denture Adhesives - Zinc?

Dangerous Denture Adhesives - Zinc?

Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough
Default Dangerous Denture Adhesives - Zinc?

I just learned about the possibility of zinc in denture adhesives like Polydent or Fixodent causing serious damage to the human body when used over a long period. There are claims that the zinc in fixatives can cause irreversable nerve damage, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, and various other neurological symptoms.

It appears that a grand action lawsuit is being suggested/proposed by attorneys for people who think they've been affected by zinc poisening. The Polydent makers, while not admitting any responsibility, have voluntarily decided to exclude zinc from their product, but Fixodent are leaving their adhesives the way they are, but they have decided to put a warning on their packaging regarding the dangers of over usage of Fixodent and the risk involving excess zinc.

Has anyone else heard of these problems, or is anybody possibly suffering from the affects of using these fixatives, and perhaps doesnt know it?

As a Fixodent user over a very long period of time, I have to admit to being worried that I might have been affected through over-usage. I'm getting unexplained burning to the soles of my feet, and no consultant seems to know what the problem is caused by!

Any thoughts Guys & Gals? Anybody else got a similar problem or concern?

Pete.

Last edited by Peteusa; Jun 7th 2011 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:16 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dangerous Denture Adhesives - Zinc?

Years ago I took a zinc supplement over the period of two or three years .. the theory being that zinc deficiency was one of the causes of enlarged prostate. It was 100mg tablet per day I think. I wonder how much zinc is in the polydent etc.?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure a learned doctor may have more to add but a burning sensation in your feet can be a symptom of peripheral neuropathy which would fit in with what you posted. You could ask your doctor to get you a nerve conduction velocity test to see if the nerves in your feet are actually damaged. If you haven't had it done before or for a long time you may also want to get a fasting glucose test and A1c since the sensation you feel is a fairly common thing that leads a lot of long term undiagnosed diabetics to actually go to the doctors and get diagnosed.

If you rule in nerve damage and rule out diabetes and what they are saying about zinc is true, you may have a case for compensation.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I'm sure a learned doctor may have more to add but a burning sensation in your feet can be a symptom of peripheral neuropathy which would fit in with what you posted. You could ask your doctor to get you a nerve conduction velocity test to see if the nerves in your feet are actually damaged. If you haven't had it done before or for a long time you may also want to get a fasting glucose test and A1c since the sensation you feel is a fairly common thing that leads a lot of long term undiagnosed diabetics to actually go to the doctors and get diagnosed.

If you rule in nerve damage and rule out diabetes and what they are saying about zinc is true, you may have a case for compensation.
Thanks for that Duncan, I think the best thing I should do ASAP is to go to my doctor and get the recommended tests done. Judging by the amount of Polygrip and Fixodent I've used over the past 10 years, I'm awfully afraid that its a contributary factor to my symptoms now. I do get gout on occasion, but I had a spell when I went back to England in March where the pain throughout both feet simultaneously was so bad that I could barely walk any distance!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

According to this page about taking supplemental zinc, the recommended dosage is less than 100mg per day and and elevated intake is defined as 1-2 grams per day over an extended period.

This is just a manufacturer's page and the information it gives is not attributed or authoritative....

So how much zinc is in the denture products? How much would a person swallow? and, apart from supplemental zinc that a person might be taking as a mineral supplement, how much zinc do we get from natural sources (food, water, etc.?)
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

I cant get to see a doctor for over a week, so I'll have to wait on tenterhooks until then.

Anybody else have any viewpoints about the validity of these 'zinc overdose' claims, and the damage the lawyers are saying can be done? Having googled Fixodent, all the various responses online seem to be input from lawyers and attorneys. It makes me wonder how much 'proof' they have.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

This seems to be the review article that the lawyers are probably relying on.

Patel, Amar; von Fraunhofer, J. Anthony; Bashirelahi, Nasir. What every dentist should know about zinc. General Dentistry, 01 March 2011, vol./is. 59/2(110-114), 03636771

Here's an interesting quote from the abstract of the article; "Zinc deficiency is a worldwide problem, whereas excessive intake of zinc is relatively rare. "