The daily mail

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default The daily mail

I was going to post this in the shooting thread, but it didn't seem appropriate to introduce a flippant tangent .......

Anyway, slightly tongue in cheek, i do wish people would stop quoting and posting links to the Daily Wail. I resent driving up their website traffic and getting sucked into the sidebar of shame. Those photos of Matthew mcconaughey have quite spoilt my day.

On a slightly more serious note, where do most people get their serious news? I tend to gravitate to the Beeb and the Grauniad, with a daily helping of the websites of my local newspapers from "home" in the uk and USA. I seem to be reasonably up to date on both sides of the Atlantic....
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The daily mail

Beeb, Grauniad and Private Eye.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Razzle, Knave and Fiesta Readers Wives
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
i do wish people would stop quoting and posting links to the Daily Wail.
But starting a thread about it is okay?!

I resent driving up their website traffic and getting sucked into the sidebar of shame. Those photos of Matthew mcconaughey have quite spoilt my day.

On a slightly more serious note, where do most people get their serious news? I tend to gravitate to the Beeb and the Grauniad, with a daily helping of the websites of my local newspapers from "home" in the uk and USA. I seem to be reasonably up to date on both sides of the Atlantic....
The DM is an odd one. Nobody admits to reading it but loads obviously do. For the first few hours in the morning I listen to Radio 2 which gives me headlines at least. Then I browse BBC news, CNN if there's a decent story, and then have a laugh at the heavily biased (but my kind of bias) Huffpost before going to bed.

Facebook and Sickepedia are good places to get current events.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

BBC, Guardian, Daily Telegraph, Breitbart.com, Andrew Sullivan.
I always look at the Daily Mail. I like that thing where they CAPITALIZE one random word in the headline.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:10 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Guardian. BBC (which is the Guardian but dumbed down), Andrew Sullivan, Mother Jones, Comment In The Press, FrumFeed, Huffpo, Althouse, Instapundit, LGF, NPR News.

Rinse, Repeat.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Guardian, Independent, BBC, Mother Jones, NPR.

I never really 'knew' people who read the Daily Mail till I started here at BE. Obviously I knew people must have read it, but I never came in to contact with them. It is a whole bit of British culture that I managed to miss.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to post this in the shooting thread, but it didn't seem appropriate to introduce a flippant tangent .......

Anyway, slightly tongue in cheek, i do wish people would stop quoting and posting links to the Daily Wail...
The moment someone quotes the DM their argument is completely undermined. It's quite funny because they just don't get what a rag it is. I like to send them a link to the Daily Mail song to help them work it out for themselves.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5eBT6...%3D5eBT6OSr1TI
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The above, and Al Jazeera.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCountry
The above, and Al Jazeera.
Yeah I forgot to mention Al Jazeera. They seem to have a pretty comprehensive network of correspondents and good coverage from all regions now. Plus I like the way their site is set out.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by kimilseung

I never really 'knew' people who read the Daily Mail till I started here at BE. Obviously I knew people must have read it, but I never came in to contact with them. It is a whole bit of British culture that I managed to miss.
Originally Posted by kins
The moment someone quotes the DM their argument is completely undermined. It's quite funny because they just don't get what a rag it is. I like to send them a link to the Daily Mail song to help them work it out for themselves.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5eBT6...%3D5eBT6OSr1TI
A couple of things about the Daily Mail though. Firstly, like the Grauniad, it now occupies an international niche (well, US plus UK, anyway). I also had never ever looked at the DM when I lived in the UK and never met a DM reader, but in the Internet age it is quite a different phenomenon.

Secondly, isn't the whole DM phenomenon a bit tongue in cheek, just an ironical take on popular culture and its intersection with news? I assume none of the people who work at the DM take it seriously, for instance.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

That's the problem though, people who know nothing about the UK read the DM then assume that's what life's really like there. I can't count how many people have told me the UK is the most violent place in the world after South Africa...
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 2:05 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Telegraph,Mail,Independent,Guardian,Mirror,Evening Standard,NY Times, Village Voice, LA Times,The Miami Herald,Sydney Morning Herald,Irish Times,Irish Independent,BBC mainly Radio Four,CNN,Fox News.

That just about covers the spectrum of news and opinion.It takes me about an hour and three cups of Joe most mornings to skim-read the lot.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Beeb, Grauniad, Slate, HuffPo and I admit it, DM. Can't resist some of the train wreck stories on there for pure entertainment value.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's the difference between the online site and the newspaper. The website is tacky, sensationalist. The paper was more middle of the road I found, not sensationlist like the Sun but not dull like the Telegraph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.