British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Cycling in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/cycling-usa-843147/)

dunroving Sep 18th 2014 12:07 am

Re: Cycling in the USA

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11409357)
I never rode much in the UK, and never in a group, so I have nothing to compare to, but UK friends that have joined us here have all said that there is much more verbal communication here than they are used to from their groups in the UK.

Most of my large group riding here is on a training series very large group from an oil company (rides range from c.300-over 1000 riders) and all have to go through the same on-bike safety course every 2 years where verbal communication and road discipline is heavily stressed. Their ride season is just 3.5 months, focused at getting the riders through the MS150 in April- that ride is generally around 13000 riders, and the contrast between road discipline/safety of riders that have done the training series and those that haven't becomes very apparent.

I rode the MS150 every year I was in TN and NC (I always did the +50 option to get a double-century).

Almost every year there was at least one accident caused by riders who had no idea about safe riding in groups.

The biggest mass event I did was the Hilly Hundred in Bloomington IN. Would need to check Google, but I am pretty sure it was 5,000+ riders. It was probably the most fun ride I've ever done.

robin1234 Sep 18th 2014 12:37 am

Bells seem to be scarce over here. It's all "passing on your left!" Don't they get tired of saying that? Where did I think they were going to pass, on my right?? Me, I just give them a bell when I pass (on their left)

Yorkieabroad Sep 18th 2014 12:38 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11409411)
I rode the MS150 every year I was in TN and NC (I always did the +50 option to get a double-century).

Almost every year there was at least one accident caused by riders who had no idea about safe riding in groups.

The biggest mass event I did was the Hilly Hundred in Bloomington IN. Would need to check Google, but I am pretty sure it was 5,000+ riders. It was probably the most fun ride I've ever done.

Single day double century? Nice going. My furthest was just 118 in a day, although it felt a lot further as it was in Texas in summer and one thermometer we passed was at 116F:eek:

Guy I used to ride with had a brother who did ultra long distance rides....they went on one century ride up in the northwest as training for some event he was signed up for, and when they got to the end, the brother I know expected to be getting a bus back to the start. The Ultra brother had "forgotten" to book the bus, so they "hopped on their bikes and rode back". I think my legs would have 200 miles in them, as long as my mind was ready for it...to have the extra 100 dropped on as a surprise would be tough. I think I would have killed him...!

Yorkieabroad Sep 18th 2014 12:40 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11409460)
Bells seem to be scarce over here. It's all "passing on your left!" Don't they get tired of saying that? Where did I think they were going to pass, on my right?? Me, I just give them a bell when I pass (on their left)

That's one that really ticks me off, and it happens way more often than it should on some of the larger, less disciplined rides.

dunroving Sep 18th 2014 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11409462)
Single day double century? Nice going. My furthest was just 118 in a day, although it felt a lot further as it was in Texas in summer and one thermometer we passed was at 116F:eek:

Guy I used to ride with had a brother who did ultra long distance rides....they went on one century ride up in the northwest as training for some event he was signed up for, and when they got to the end, the brother I know expected to be getting a bus back to the start. The Ultra brother had "forgotten" to book the bus, so they "hopped on their bikes and rode back". I think my legs would have 200 miles in them, as long as my mind was ready for it...to have the extra 100 dropped on as a surprise would be tough. I think I would have killed him...!

No, no! :lol: The MS150s I used to do were 75 miles each day (Saturday and Sunday). I would add the optional 25 mile additional section each day in order to do 100 on the Saturday and 100 on the Sunday (so, probably should have called it back-to-back centuries). The TN MS150 was the "Bike to Jack and Back" (Jack being the Jack Daniels distillery). We camped at Motlow College IIRC, and they bussed us to Jack Daniels on the Saturday night for the big party. Fun times.

I learned the trick for recovering from 100 on Saturday to do the 100 on Sunday was copious amounts of chocolate milk.

WEBlue Sep 18th 2014 1:50 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11409460)

Yes, I got a bell because I got tired of saying "On your left." But it's even more annoying when they don't make any noise at all, just whoosh by when you least expect it--I really dislike those stealthy passers.

Yorkieabroad Sep 18th 2014 2:03 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11409547)
No, no! :lol: The MS150s I used to do were 75 miles each day (Saturday and Sunday). I would add the optional 25 mile additional section each day in order to do 100 on the Saturday and 100 on the Sunday (so, probably should have called it back-to-back centuries). The TN MS150 was the "Bike to Jack and Back" (Jack being the Jack Daniels distillery). We camped at Motlow College IIRC, and they bussed us to Jack Daniels on the Saturday night for the big party. Fun times.

I like the sound of that one!!

The "150" we do actually has official distances ranging from about 130 to a little over 180. I've done the 180 (100 first day, 80 second) 5 times, but last year my 12 year old was doing it with me for the first time, so we shortened the first day to the 80 option, so he got 160 in the weekend. This year he is looking to do the long distance option, which, given how well he rode last year, I'm sure he will be able to handle, but I have some misgivings about one section. It is 10 miles through Bastrop State Park which has a seeming never ending series of short, sharp hills. It is quite exhilarating to ride, and I think he will be able to do it, but there are a whole bunch of idiots in there who seem to check their brains (and climbing legs) at the entrance to the park......lots of kamikaze 30-40mph+ downhill, but then they get off halfway up the next hill and walk up the middle of the narrow road.

I learned the trick for recovering from 100 on Saturday to do the 100 on Sunday was copious amounts of chocolate milk.
I think a lot of that is finding what works for you. My son goes the chocolate milk route, as do a few of my ride buddies. I prefer solid protein - a big burger or pulled pork sandwich, followed by lots of pasta. The first year I started riding, I would find that after a long ride I would come home, sit on the sofa and sleep. Did not go down well with her indoors. Then on one ride, they were handing out pulled pork sandwiches, literally right behind the finish line. I scarfed one of those, and that was the first afternoon I didn't sleep. I've done that ever since, and never had a problem.

Yorkieabroad Sep 18th 2014 2:06 am

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11409560)
Yes, I got a bell because I got tired of saying "On your left." But it's even more annoying when they don't make any noise at all, just whoosh by when you least expect it--I really dislike those stealthy passers.

:mad:Yeah, they really annoy me - especially because the worst offenders seem to be the ones who should know better - the fast pacelines coming up with closing speeds exceeding 10-15mph on some of the slower, beginner riders. Last year my son developed a new call (Stealth Mode Back)to try to shame them, but I doubt many of them actually heard it. He enjoyed himself though!

jtb87 Sep 18th 2014 12:54 pm

As for cycling in Texas, I am in Plano, just outside of Dallas, and cyclists are given a whole lane to use. There are also a lot of cycling groups around here. I see large groups together all the time on the main roads around here.

loubiblu Sep 18th 2014 9:59 pm

Kentucky cyclist repeatedly arrested – for commuting on the road | road.cc

Don't know the road, so can't comment on it specifically, but I would class myself as a very confident, competent cyclist and I'm not sure I'd choose to ride on the Interstate in rush hour.

dunroving Sep 18th 2014 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by loubiblu (Post 11410813)

Don't know the road, so can't comment on it specifically, but I would class myself as a very confident, competent cyclist and I'm not sure I'd choose to ride on the Interstate in rush hour.

Riding on an interstate is equivalent to riding on a UK motorway and equally stupid/dangerous.

ETA: From the comments below the article it seems it wasn't a true interstate (motorway) but more like a very busy A-road.

Cardienscarf Sep 19th 2014 12:19 am

Here you go…. special traffic lights for cyclists in Boulder, CO.

Boulder quietly tests bicycle-specific traffic signals - Boulder Daily Camera

Boulder is supposed to be very bicycle friendly but the comments are worth a browse as they give a glimpse into the friction between drivers and cyclists. Then there's the friction between cyclists and hikers and horseback riders.

robin1234 Sep 19th 2014 12:37 am

Originally Posted by loubiblu (Post 11410813)

That article is confusing. At first I assumed the site was American, but from examining the statement of responsibility at the foot of the homepage, it appears to be a British site.

Which may explain the inaccuracy in the report. The road was not an interstate, it was a US Route, that is, equivalent to an A road in the UK, as dunroving says.

I'd say the highway authority should look at the hard shoulder on that road, and make sure that it is clear of debris, and mend any potholes, to the extent that it is safe for cyclists. Then the police could insist that she cycles to the right of the traffic lane, that is, in this case, on the hard shoulder to the extent that it is safe for a cyclist...

Edit to add: the domain, .cc is the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

WEBlue Sep 19th 2014 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11409575)
:mad:Yeah, they really annoy me - especially because the worst offenders seem to be the ones who should know better - the fast pacelines coming up with closing speeds exceeding 10-15mph on some of the slower, beginner riders. Last year my son developed a new call (Stealth Mode Back)to try to shame them, but I doubt many of them actually heard it. He enjoyed himself though!

What a great idea! :lol: I may start using your son's call to see if it'll make any impression on some of our local silent speed-demon cyclists....

GeoffM Sep 19th 2014 3:31 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11410997)
Edit to add: the domain, .cc is the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

Domain names are pretty meaningless, a bit like the flags on ships I suppose. Road.cc is hosted on a server in the UK, London to be specific if you believe the geolocate services, though they're often wrong - at least in the UK. I'll be moving my .co.uk to a US server at some point.