British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Cutting down this christmas..?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/cutting-down-christmas-572782/)

cindyabs Dec 5th 2008 1:08 pm

Re: Cutting down this christmas..?!

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7039925)
WTF Bob? That has never been what Amazon gift wrapping does.

How do I know with such certainty? Because I know many people who have worked for Amazon.co.uk since it first started, and every Xmas every employee, from the most senior manager to the most junior office clerk, has to spend a certain number of days in the warehouse, wrapping and packing gifts.

If you received the wrapping materials just included in the box, you probably got some skiving senior manager's box, where they just couldn't be arsed to pack your gift! :rofl:

I don't know why but this just popped into my head-

Bluegrass Lass Dec 5th 2008 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 6971360)
the amazon gift wrapping cost a fiver and it's crap...because they just include the wrapping in the box, you've got to wrap it yourself, unless they've changed since last time I used it...

But, gift cards, local online stores and errr...tell them the stuff got lost in the post? :D

Don't think you can ship stuff over from here any more, but my mother just shipped stuff over from blighty and was cheap as chips, sent as small packages for a good rate, she broke the stuff up into three smaller parcels, took 4 weeks to get here.

I used to work for Amazon, and I specifically worked on improving the Gift Wrap process in my distrubtion center. Placing the giftwrap into the box w/out actually wrapping the gift is not correct process. Be aware though, that this time of the year the giftwrap staff goes from about 20 full-timers to about 100 with seasonal temps. Often the seasonal temps are the ones that couldn't care less and cause these sorts of problems.

If it happens again, I would call and complain, and complain quite loudly.

Gingerert Dec 5th 2008 4:25 pm

I know a poster has already said this, but have you thought about Oxfam Unwrapped? I'm sending these "gifts" to half my UK family - particularly those who are rich and spoiled so they appreciate what they have and what others might not.

You get a card and a fridge magnet to send to them, and some remote community gets a goat or seeds or school books. It's fantastic and I'm doing it for the second year in a row.

Postage? FREE. :thumbsup:

Bob Dec 5th 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 7039925)
WTF Bob? That has never been what Amazon gift wrapping does.

How do I know with such certainty? Because I know many people who have worked for Amazon.co.uk since it first started, and every Xmas every employee, from the most senior manager to the most junior office clerk, has to spend a certain number of days in the warehouse, wrapping and packing gifts.

If you received the wrapping materials just included in the box, you probably got some skiving senior manager's box, where they just couldn't be arsed to pack your gift! :rofl:

well that might have been the case, but I've not bothered since :D

Kaffy Mintcake Dec 5th 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Janek66 (Post 7039849)
I saw that too, about Oxfam but mentioning Heifer....gotta consider the source though.

true ... would be nice to know what the truth is!

katieuk Dec 6th 2008 4:58 am

Well, my advice is, if you can throw them some Pounds right now, send them to Woolies:sneaky: