Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cutting down this christmas..?!

Cutting down this christmas..?!

Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cutting down this christmas..?!

A friend of mine recommended this site, and I've used them about 5 times for various birthday presents so far, and it was each time

http://www.smartgiftsolutions.co.uk/
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Another great site... i'm gonna be busy going through all the sites!!!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 4:52 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

We do pound presents (except for the small kids) now as I have rellies all over the globe. Each year we try and find the silliest thing for a quid or thereabouts. Makes for a good laugh!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard from my SIL who wants to do "kids only" this year. I really think it's important to "give" something at Christmas time so I've written to all the rellies and said that apart from the kids we'll be giving money to charity in their names and they're free to do the same if they want. That way we can give what we can afford and they can do the same.....and it helps out other people.
We usually chose a local charity or someone like World Vision where you can "buy" a pig or a goat for a family that needs it. I get a lot of satisfaction in telling my MIL I've bought her shares in a cow
Old Nov 17th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Just heard from my SIL who wants to do "kids only" this year. I really think it's important to "give" something at Christmas time so I've written to all the rellies and said that apart from the kids we'll be giving money to charity in their names and they're free to do the same if they want. That way we can give what we can afford and they can do the same.....and it helps out other people.
We usually chose a local charity or someone like World Vision where you can "buy" a pig or a goat for a family that needs it. I get a lot of satisfaction in telling my MIL I've bought her shares in a cow
Oh my god Lisa.. I am LOVING this idea!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:03 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone still shopping for stuff to send to UK, Just used this to save a fiver off an order at buyagift.com

http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/disc...buyagift.co.uk

The code was xmas2008

Last edited by Jaxbar; Dec 1st 2008 at 3:08 pm. Reason: Added code
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
For anyone still shopping for stuff to send to UK, Just used this to save a fiver off an order at buyagift.com

http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/disc...buyagift.co.uk

The code was xmas2008
For those that have everything (my MIL) we are gonna buy a goat.....Heifer International
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sambapink
Well I didn't know you could do that - learn something new everyday!! cheers!
If you maintain a UK bank still is probably cheaper to pay it in to that and use it over there and give the children some money out of your US account. (Less a fee of course ;-)

Most of my family has reached an age where we neither expect or give a present. We'll exchange cards etc. I try to make a phonecall now and again to various close family members (Aunts, Uncles etc) and I think they appreciate that as much as a pair of 49ers socks or similar!
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:55 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you meant Christmas trees.

I send gift cards from amazon.co.uk. Make sure you buy from .co.uk, not .com.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I didn't cut back enough.. I thought I did well.. 6 packages sent back home $298 Definately next year
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
For those that have everything (my MIL) we are gonna buy a goat.....Heifer International
I used to really like that idea - but the article about Heifer that someone posted on another site makes a lot of sense and makes me less keen on the idea.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:59 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I used to really like that idea - but the article about Heifer that someone posted on another site makes a lot of sense and makes me less keen on the idea.
congrats on your 4,000th post!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
congrats on your 4,000th post!!!!
Oh crap - that's really sad.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I saw that too, about Oxfam but mentioning Heifer....gotta consider the source though.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 12:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
the amazon gift wrapping cost a fiver and it's crap...because they just include the wrapping in the box, you've got to wrap it yourself, unless they've changed since last time I used it...
WTF Bob? That has never been what Amazon gift wrapping does.

How do I know with such certainty? Because I know many people who have worked for Amazon.co.uk since it first started, and every Xmas every employee, from the most senior manager to the most junior office clerk, has to spend a certain number of days in the warehouse, wrapping and packing gifts.

If you received the wrapping materials just included in the box, you probably got some skiving senior manager's box, where they just couldn't be arsed to pack your gift!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.