Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

custom duty on gifts to the UK

custom duty on gifts to the UK

Old Jan 29th 2021, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default custom duty on gifts to the UK

Really pissed off with UK Customs at the moment. Yet again, they have charged a gift for customs but this time they put their own value on the item!. I send some baby clothes last March to a friend as my trip to the UK had to be cancelled due to the Pandemic. I didn't know the customs and gifts had been changed as the last I send anything was years ago. They wanted nearly £40 for 4 baby items that cost less than $40. I told my friend just to return them. Apparently, gifts need to be less than £20 or the appropriate duty will be applied. £30 + admin fee seems a little steep to say the least! But my mistake, I should have checked the change in custom rules.
Anyway, come Christmas, and same friend asked if I could make a Christmas stocking for her new son, like the one I made for her daughter a few years ago. Due to covid and delays in the post, I opted for Fedex (very expensive). As it was handmade and made from fabric I had in my stash, it really didn't have a value so it was recorded as $1 Received in plenty of time. After Christmas, she starts to get mail from Fedex to say she owes £45.30 for the stocking. £33 vat
for the stocking and 12 for the admin. They had valued the stocking at $95 and a card at $5. I can't remember even putting in a card to be honest, as I decided not send cards this year. Despite calling several times to explain it was handmade and a gift, they then told her if she didn't pay immediately, it would be going into collection. That is when she contacted me. I in turn contacted Fedex from this end and now it back in the UK where it will take from 90 -180 days to dispute with the local customs authority!
I am never going to post another item to the UK again. Its obviously become a money making scheme for the government, especially once the item has been accepted without any hint that a duty had been applied.

Last edited by jjmb; Jan 29th 2021 at 4:34 pm. Reason: photo in wrong place
Old Jan 29th 2021, 4:50 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: custom duty on gifts to the UK

Seems to be a particular problem with items purchased in Europe.
I guess they are applying the rules to any international shipment.
Yes, its a great money spinner.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:56 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Surely even if you sent a card and you paid $5 for it as soon as you write in it it becomes a used card and loses all monetary value?
Old Jan 29th 2021, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same issue with a gift to the UK..... indeed the UK Post Office delivery service left a card telling my relative she had to pay 30.00 GBP before it would deliver the item; and it was a small jewelly item worth only around $40.
Never again.....
Old Jan 29th 2021, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I had the same issue with a gift to the UK..... indeed the UK Post Office delivery service left a card telling my relative she had to pay 30.00 GBP before it would deliver the item; and it was a small jewelly item worth only around $40.
Never again.....
I think it was only delivered because I send it via FedEx. The previous package was send via USPS so they wouldn't deliver until she agreed to the charge which is why I told her to return it.
Old Jan 29th 2021, 11:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Stopped buying items from Ebay in the states for that reason, thankfully most of the purchases were sendable by e mail as they were desogns for computer controlled embroideries, so just went that route.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 1:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Anyway, come Christmas, and same friend asked if I could make a Christmas stocking for her new son, like the one I made for her daughter a few years ago. Due to covid and delays in the post, I opted for Fedex (very expensive). As it was handmade and made from fabric I had in my stash, it really didn't have a value so it was recorded as $1 Received in plenty of time. After Christmas, she starts to get mail from Fedex to say she owes £45.30 for the stocking. £33 vat
for the stocking and 12 for the admin. They had valued the stocking at $95 and a card at $5. I can't remember even putting in a card to be honest, as I decided not send cards this year. Despite calling several times to explain it was handmade and a gift, they then told her if she didn't pay immediately, it would be going into collection. That is when she contacted me. I in turn contacted Fedex from this end and now it back in the UK where it will take from 90 -180 days to dispute with the local customs authority!
I am never going to post another item to the UK again. Its obviously become a money making scheme for the government, especially once the item has been accepted without any hint that a duty had been applied.
This was really sad to read. As well as the senseless and infuriating VAT and 'admin' charges, you'd sent a beautiful and thoughtful gift for your friend's son. It shouldn't be so bloody hard and stressful.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 2:18 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I have just remembered, and I may have this not entirely correct, that although the duty is only levied on the value of the goods, once that has been triggered the VAT is levied on the value of the goods PLUS the cost of carriage and then a handling fee can be added on top of that. We got caught by this many years ago.