Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Curtain rails - where?

Curtain rails - where?

Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curtain rails - where?

I can't believe that it's impossible to find a curtain rail (track) in this country. No we do not want poles or curtain rods (how are you supposed to OPEN the sodding curtains?!?!) All useable hits from google are for UK websites.

Anyone know where I can get something over here?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:34 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Curtain rails - where?

Walmart used to carry them, but appear to have discontinued them.

A quick google products search suggests that, bizarrely, RV suppliers might be your best bet...
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I can't believe that it's impossible to find a curtain rail (track) in this country. No we do not want poles or curtain rods (how are you supposed to OPEN the sodding curtains?!?!) All useable hits from google are for UK websites.

I gave up on that one. They tend not to be curtains as we know them...more like a decoration for the window. I solved the problem by getting window blinds...which are tucked behind faux curtains/pelmets during the day.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I gave up on that one. They tend not to be curtains as we know them...more like a decoration for the window. I solved the problem by getting window blinds...which are tucked behind faux curtains/pelmets during the day.
We manage with a rod and giant rings.

That sounds a bit dirty, now that I come to read it...
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We manage with a rod and giant rings.

That sounds a bit dirty, now that I come to read it...
The OP said he didn't want poles and neither did I.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:44 pm

The OP said he didn't want poles and neither did I.
True, but he seemed to be saying that because he didn't think you could open the curtains. I was pointing out that you can.

Edited to add: I hear from Mallory that JC Penney carries them.

Last edited by chartreuse; Sep 21st 2009 at 1:47 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:47 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

Are you talking about traverse rods? http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/SearchD...e&hdnOnGo=true

Or panel rods? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30115113
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you know that Americans don't open their curtains/blinds anyway?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:55 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
True, but he seemed to be saying that because he didn't think you could open the curtains. I was pointing out that you can.

Edited to add: I hear from Mallory that JC Penney carries them.
There are many, many places to get traverse rods, if that is what the OP is trying to find. I do not use them anymore but did in the "olden days" because they were always left in the house when you purchased it. I prefer blinds and/or rings/clips.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:57 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Don't you know that Americans don't open their curtains/blinds anyway?
Shame on you. Don't you mean Brits in America, since they're not used to much sun
Old Sep 21st 2009, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Shame on you. Don't you mean Brits in America, since they're not used to much sun
I find the majority of people do not close the blinds/curtains at night.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Actually, that's one of the things I found strange when I first came to the US, 'most' people just never opened their curtains/blinds during the day. I always wondered why, then one of my neighbours told me that it was usually to keep the heat down in the house (TX) and the utility bills lower.

Lived in OK, CO and IL since then and haven't found it to be any different in these States either

Another difference here that I found strange, is the way people look at you if you hang your sheets out to dry, I love the smell of sheets that have been blowing in the fresh air, but I was 'politely' informed that 'we just don't do that here'
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Another difference here that I found strange, is the way people look at you if you hang your sheets out to dry, I love the smell of sheets that have been blowing in the fresh air, but I was 'politely' informed that 'we just don't do that here'
I hang my sheets out so that's two of us.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:25 pm
Queen of my house

Actually, that's one of the things I found strange when I first came to the US, 'most' people just never opened their curtains/blinds during the day. I always wondered why, then one of my neighbours told me that it was usually to keep the heat down in the house (TX) and the utility bills lower.

Lived in OK, CO and IL since then and haven't found it to be any different in these States either

I did when I didn't work, but I really can't be bothered now. However, I do hang up some of my clothes to dry in the laundry room and I use a drying rack for sweaters.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:27 pm
Queen of my house

I find the majority of people do not close the blinds/curtains at night.
I do and always have except for when I lived next to a nature preserve. I didn't have anything on my floor to ceiling windows in the family room or kitchen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.