Curry recipes?

Old May 29th 2011, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice
Default Curry recipes?

Who makes their own curry? I would like to try.

It's easy to google but I would love to know personal recipes.....if anyone would care to share.

I am about to order Chinese food.
Old May 29th 2011, 1:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curry recipes?

Originally Posted by steve100100
Who makes their own curry? I would like to try.

It's easy to google but I would love to know personal recipes.....if anyone would care to share.

I am about to order Chinese food.
There may be something in the Recipe Thread.
Old May 29th 2011, 9:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy's Curry Recipe:

Serves 4 (depending on degree of hunger)
4 large white onions, finely chopped
2-10 cloves of garlic, crushed
8 medium toms, as ripe as possible (or 3 tins plum toms)
Spices
Chillies, dried or fresh.
Good cooking oil, about 4 tbps
Meat (chicken thighs are good, on the bone), about 1 - 1.5kg

In a really large pan, heat the oil, fry the garlic till nearly golden, then add the onion and cook over a medium heat till really soft. This can take up to half an hour, and is the secret to getting a lot of sauce. Stir frequently to avoid the onions catching on the pan. If its getting too dry, add more oil (don't worry, its good for you--just don't use olive oil).

Add the spices. I usually go for about 3-4 tsps of curry powder, 1-2 tsps of cumin, 10 or so cardamon pods, some parprika and anything else which takes my fancy. Keep stirring for a minute or so till its a thick, sticky mess.

Add the meat and keep it moving till its browned on the outside. Again, you may need more oil.

Add the toms, and mix everything together. You may need to add some water at this stage, but be careful no to add too much because the toms will release water as they mulch down. Add the chillis--6 dried ones will make it fairly hot.

Bring to the boil, stirring frequently, then reduce to a simmer and let it cook for at least half an hour, or longer if it needs to reduce. Check the consistency frequently so see if you need to add water, or to increase the cooking time to reduce it (ie make it thicker).

About 10 minutes before its ready, add garam masala (I buy it "whole", then use my grinder to grind it to a smooth powder). A teaspoonful or two should do, but taste to check. Adjust the flavour with salt and pepper to your liking.

This is a staple for me out here: its healthy, easy to prepare, great to keep, and full of fresh ingredients and I know everything that's gone into it.

Enjoy
Old May 30th 2011, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a few recipes in that recipe thread, think Leslie has posted a couple of good ones!
Old May 30th 2011, 4:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Curries are tricky at first.

The biggest mistake you can make is relying on the spices you find in American grocery store chains. If you use mass produced "Curry Powder" by itself the result will pale in comparison to rounding up the fresh(er) bulk dried spices at an Asian/Hindu/Middle Eastern store. Curry powder differs but generally the bones of it is turmeric, cumin, and ground red pepper. Expanding from that you have coriander, cardamom, mustard, fennel, caraway, etc.

If you want to use an American curry powder I would still use (at least) additional turmeric, red chili, and cumin. Or, again, look at an Asian store for their curry mixes and powders. I often stalk little old Indian ladies and if I see them put certain spices in their basket I go behind them and check it out. But, what you see more often, is them buying fresh ingredients. Fresh chilies, garlic, ginger, and purple onion, are an absolute must. I buy the ginger and garlic pastes because I'm lazy - they are pungent and work very well. You can easily find ghee but I use olive oil and, IMO, it works just fine.

If you find that your curries are watery - adding curry cubes at the very end is a good cheat. Strangely though, I can't find the kind I like in the Asian store but I can find them in the Asian aisle of the Mexican store. The Fiesta's here have them. Stock up, they don't go bad. These are my favorite:

Good luck!
Old May 30th 2011, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
...These are my favorite:

http://thefoodaddicts.com/wp-content...kencurry02.jpg

Good luck!
That brings back memories of my childhood and Japanese curries...they're so weird too..the mild was lovely but not hot at all, the medium wasn't hot at all either and then suddenly the hot one would blow your socks off
Old May 30th 2011, 6:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That brings back memories of my childhood and Japanese curries...they're so weird too..the mild was lovely but not hot at all, the medium wasn't hot at all either and then suddenly the hot one would blow your socks off
It's crazy. I can make a curry exactly (I thought so anyway ) the way I've made it before - where it just had a little bite - and this time everybody who eats it is crying and I'm going, "WTF have I done?"
Old May 30th 2011, 11:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

• Sprouts
  • Cauliflower
  • Vindaloo sauce

How difficult do you want to make it?
Old May 31st 2011, 2:47 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the spice company mccormick do some recipe cards with pre measured spices contained on them. Two of the choices was a curry (think it was chicken masala and tikka masala) and they were easy to make/follow and quite tasty.

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/He...20Marsala.aspx

or

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/He...ka-Masala.aspx
Old May 31st 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Mate of mine snorted curry powder once, ended up in a korma...