Reload this Page >

Cultural differences - American vs. British employers

Cultural differences - American vs. British employers

Old Nov 27th 2016, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Mirage88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cultural differences - American vs. British employers

The ones I can think of -

US is more pro-employer whereas UK is more pro employee - in comparison and relatively speaking

Competition in the workplace is more intense and fierce in the US than the UK and American workers play a lot more politics than their British counterparts

More hierarchy with American companies while a lot of British companies are more lean and flat in structure

American company encourage "talk the talk" culture and I've came across VPs from Fortune 500 companies would just say the wildest things out of their asses and imagine if they say the same thing in England they'd be labelled as "bullshiters" "juvenile" and "unprofessional"

American companies do tend to however encourage its employees to be more independent and creative rather than follow the book like many British companies do

I could have been generalising but I have worked for a number of British and American companies to sums up the above. Can you think of more corporate cultural differences?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences - American vs. British employers

POETS day...almost unheard of in my experience over here. A lot of talk of work hard, party hard but the reality has turned out to be far from it as everyone spends ages commuting back home. Definitely depends on location from what I can gather though.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 3:52 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect a lot of what you claim depends on the company size. Are we talking about 'big corporations' or across the board?

I'm a British expat who is now a US employer. Where do I fit in to this picture you paint Best of both 'worlds' or worst of both
Old Nov 29th 2016, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mirage88
The ones I can think of -

US is more pro-employer whereas UK is more pro employee - in comparison and relatively speaking

Competition in the workplace is more intense and fierce in the US than the UK and American workers play a lot more politics than their British counterparts

More hierarchy with American companies while a lot of British companies are more lean and flat in structure

American company encourage "talk the talk" culture and I've came across VPs from Fortune 500 companies would just say the wildest things out of their asses and imagine if they say the same thing in England they'd be labelled as "bullshiters" "juvenile" and "unprofessional"

American companies do tend to however encourage its employees to be more independent and creative rather than follow the book like many British companies do

I could have been generalising but I have worked for a number of British and American companies to sums up the above. Can you think of more corporate cultural differences?
That's a really mixed bag. Some things I agree with, some things I haven't noticed, others I think the exact opposite is true; but that's just my experience. Things change over time too, sometimes quite quickly and for all manner of reasons - businesses delayer in lean times, but often bulk up again as revenues improve.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Change in HR policies can quickly change a work environment, from being productive , to non-productive and vice-versa.

I hate Kanban for just the sake of doing it.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 3:48 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I've only worked for one employer in the US, so my experience is limited.

However, main differences I've noticed here:
- spectacular commitment to bureaucracy/doing things the way they've always been done
- looking/sounding right is much more important than actually delivering value
- most people have no qualms tooting their own horn loudly and regularly
- over-confidence can take a mediocre person a long way
- senior executives fawned over and overly-revered
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have only worked for 2 companies in the US, but personally I see similar traits on both sides of the Atlantic. Main difference being Unions seem to have more strength in the US, but that is diminishing. Both sides of the Ocean senior management lie to or are sparce with the truth to the employees. There are lazy and hard working employees in most companies. Perks vary between companies. In the UK , one company doubled a 5% match into pension (ie 10%), the the US one company gave out free breakfast, lunches and beer.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
POETS day...almost unheard of in my experience over here.
I told my assistant about POETS day. She had never heard of it. She now has a post it with POETS DAY written on it stuck to her office wall LOL.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked for British companies in the UK, American companies in the UK and American companies in the US and I don't agree with much of what the OP writes.

So much depends on size of company, location of company and leadership of those companies that I would not generalize.