Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Old Oct 19th 2022, 1:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I had that idea (not with a Chase card), and what I was pointed to was a web page from the card issuer, stating the coverage limits, terms, and conditions. I printed out a paper copy to take with me, but it is apparently well known in rental businesses in the UK, that US cards cover the supplemental insurance so that I never needed to show the paper copy of the coverage terms. I am sure that such a page also exists within Chase's credit card web site.
Chase sent me the details - I couldn't find them on the website. Never been asked for this either.
Old Oct 19th 2022, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Chase sent me the details - I couldn't find them on the website. Never been asked for this either.
Not only did Chase send me their general blurb about the coverage but also a letter referencing my name and address ... "This letter is to verify that (MidAtlantic).." etc etc giving details of the coverage. When a rental company at LHR (I can't remember which one) started arguing that the insurance wasn't acceptable, and I had to buy theirs, I produced the letter. They huddled with the location manager and begrudgingly agreed that it was OK. I had already refused their "free" upgrade, which wasn't free at all, so I think they were trying to get me on insurance. This was all just what I needed after a much delayed overnight flight.

Old Oct 23rd 2022, 12:48 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you read the fine print on the length of the rental. The Chase cards only cover you if the length of the rental is less than 31 calendar days. If the rental period exceeds that then you are not covered at all, not even for the first 31 days. I think the limit on the AmEx cards is 21 days, but otherwise the same rules apply. The way around that is to split your time into multiple rentals, returning one car before you hit the limit and immediately starting a new rental. Also check that the country is covered. Many cards exclude rentals in Ireland, Israel, Italy and a few other smaller countries.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

BennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond repute

Glasgow Girl wrote, Make sure you read the small print, Absolutely agree.
I’m currently on a trip to the U.K. visiting elderly parents and have always used a CITI bank MasterCard to rent a car from Hertz, Heathrow.
This time I read the small print again and CITI bank have recently dropped International hire car coverage therefore I have had to take out a two week insurance with Hertz that almost comes to the same amount as the car hire itself.
So yes, read your credit card small print.

Last edited by BennyBall; Oct 24th 2022 at 7:34 am.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 10:46 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BennyBall
Glasgow Girl wrote, Make sure you read the small print, Absolutely agree.
I’m currently on a trip to the U.K. visiting elderly parents and have always used a CITI bank MasterCard to rent a car from Hertz, Heathrow.
This time I read the small print again and CITI bank have recently dropped International hire car coverage therefore I have had to take out a two week insurance with Hertz that almost comes to the same amount as the car hire itself.
So yes, read your credit card small print.
If you already have a car in the US with comprehensive coverage, that should also extend to rental cars, check your policy, the reason I like the CSR one is that’s primary so won’t impact my own policy, if I did not have that I wound look at buying a separate one, for about $11-15 a day rather than the car rental one, that as you note can be as much as the car rental cost again on top:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/i...-car-insurance
Old Oct 24th 2022, 2:40 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Private US comprehensive car insurance only covers car rentals in the US, it is not valid overseas.
Old Oct 24th 2022, 8:05 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Private US comprehensive car insurance only covers car rentals in the US, it is not valid overseas.
While it’s not over a sea, I believe some US policies cover Canada. At least driving over your own car.