Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Old Oct 12th 2022, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Hey all,

I'm visiting ol' blighty next month or a few weeks. I am looking at car rentals, and don't want to pay the absurd amount for insurance they offer. Are there any credit cards I could/should apply for that covers international car rental insurance and not just US car rental insurance?

Also, I've driven auto since I've been here stateside... Automatic car rentals are twice the price of manual... How easy is it to get back to driving manual again?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 12th 2022, 10:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards for International Car Rentals

Originally Posted by Maste
Hey all,

I'm visiting ol' blighty next month or a few weeks. I am looking at car rentals, and don't want to pay the absurd amount for insurance they offer. Are there any credit cards I could/should apply for that covers international car rental insurance and not just US car rental insurance?

Also, I've driven auto since I've been here stateside... Automatic car rentals are twice the price of manual... How easy is it to get back to driving manual again?

Thanks in advance!
I have the chase Saphire Reserve and it’s includes primary car Insurnace. The only issue I have had is in Germany where they have tried to upgrade me to cars that are more expensive than the $75k limit. There are other chase cards that offer the same benefit with a much lower annual fee.

I was the same, did my test in the UK with a manual, have only owned automatics a n NZ and the US, I had to do a track day for work and all the cars we manual, I think it’s like muscle memory, you pick it back up fast, but I still always pay the premium for an automatic when renting over the pond.

Old Oct 12th 2022, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the UK. We had rental car insurance in our travel insurance policy with AXA.
We also had some ''boiler plate' coverage on our Mastercard Capital One credit card.
We also paid the premium for an automatic car.

Must admit am always very relieved when the car is returned safe and sound to the rental company, as I dread to think the hoops one would have to go through to process any claim through either the travel insurance company or the credit card company.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

I'll probably end up going automatic for peace and ease of mind. I am seeing electric automatic cars are cheapest but obviously... I also don't know if that's even worth dealing with the hassle of electric cars either!
Old Oct 13th 2022, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

You need primary insurance. The Chase card mentioned above, and Amex Gold offer it. The latter requires you to opt in and charges something like $30 per rental.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 12:09 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

My Chase Visa via United Airlines has rental car coverage. Do check your US policy, it may have foreign coverage.

Thanks in advance!
When traveling in LHD countries, I have rented manual transmission cars. Even though I have not owned a stick shift since 1996, the muscle memory has kicked in. (Son-in-law in upstate NY owns a stick-shift “beater.” I actually have problem readjusting to an automatic upon return home - usually in the start up routine).

In the UK and Ireland, I gnash my teeth and pay the premium for an automatic. Driving on the “wrong” side of the road and shifting with the “wrong” hand is a little too much.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Oct 13th 2022 at 12:14 am.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 7:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am seeing electric automatic cars are cheapest but obviously... I also don't know if that's even worth dealing with the hassle of electric cars either!
Electric cars are easy to use in the UK, loads of chargers (more chargers than petrol stations) and often free ones at places like shops too. I've had an electric car for 5 years now, with no issues. Just download Zap Map before you arrive so you can easily find chargers as often the charging maps on the cars aren't that great.

HTH.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I have the chase Saphire Reserve and it’s includes primary car Insurnace. The only issue I have had is in Germany where they have tried to upgrade me to cars that are more expensive than the $75k limit. There are other chase cards that offer the same benefit with a much lower annual fee.

I was the same, did my test in the UK with a manual, have only owned automatics a n NZ and the US, I had to do a track day for work and all the cars we manual, I think it’s like muscle memory, you pick it back up fast, but I still always pay the premium for an automatic when renting over the pond.
+1 I normally use my Chase Saphire Reserve card, although one time I hired via the Manchester Airport website and got "free" insurance included. I finished up with the car being side swiped while parked, causing about £5,000 damage. The insurance paid every penny with no issues.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 1:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I have a BA chase visa card which gives me rental car coverage and a free companion ticket on BA airmiles.
I always drive a manual in the UK. First 30 minutes out of Heathrow are stressful, it's the only time I'm glad of a traffic jam and going slowly! Kids know not to say a word/not to harrass me or play their music for those 30 minutes as I acclimatize.

Old Oct 13th 2022, 2:03 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We recently returned from a trip to Ireland.
We used our Amex platinum to cover the insurance.
I even called prior to leaving the States and they sent me all of the coverage details plus an international phone number in case of any issues.
Of course the Avis rep in Dublin tried to push the insurance, we pushed back. Showed him the documents and asked he call if he had an issue.
They relented and agreed that we did have coverage.

Nice auto BMW with only 3000km on the clock.
We had a great couple of weeks worry free motoring.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 4:59 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Electric cars are easy to use in the UK, loads of chargers (more chargers than petrol stations) and often free ones at places like shops too. I've had an electric car for 5 years now, with no issues. Just download Zap Map before you arrive so you can easily find chargers as often the charging maps on the cars aren't that great.

HTH.
Slightly off theme but very useful info. Thanks Christmasoompa.
On the auto v manual note, I used to drive an auto in the UK but nearly always a manual in Europe as automatics were too expensive and frequently big which is unhelpful on some roads. The first 30 mins were awkward but then old experience kicked in and I was fine - like riding a bike? The danger is when something unexpected happens and you react automatically in the way you would when driving your usual machine. Like others have said, pay for the automatic so you can concentrate on the other hazards.
Old Oct 14th 2022, 4:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is a cap on the value of the car covered, so take a moment to check what that is on your card. The last time I checked, which was several years ago (pre-covid), it was $50k for VISA and M/c and IIRC $70k for Amex. though given current exchange rates that is less likely to be an issue in the UK unless you rent a luxury vehicle.

I never have an issue in driving a manual when back in the UK, but then I usually drive a manual in the US anyway - my truck, Mustang, and Mrs P's Accord are all manual, and I only recently bought my first automatic and have only put 8,000 miles on it. When I book a rental car in the UK I always make a point of [1] booking a manual, and [2] phoning the pickup location 2-3 days ahead to confirm that I am going to get a manual, and that despite me placing the booking from the US and using a US license, I am actually British, and so do know how to drive a manual, and that I would not thank them for "upgrading" me to something with an automatic transmission.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 14th 2022 at 5:29 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2022, 4:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is a cap on the value of the car covered, so take a moment to check what that is on your card. The last time I checked, which was several years ago (pre-covid), it was $50k for VISA and M/c and IIRC $70k for Amex. though given exchange rates that is less likely to be an issue unless you rent a luxury vehicle.

I never have an issue in driving a manual when back in the UK, but then I usually drive a manual in the US anyway (my truck, Mustang, and Mrs P's Accord are all manual, and I only recently bought my first automatic and have only put 8,000 miles on it. When I book a rental car in the UK I always make a point of [1] booking a manual, and [2] phoning the pickup location 2-3 days ahead to confirm that I am going to get a manual, dand that despite me placing the booking from the US and using a US license, I am actually British, and so do know how to drive a manual, and that I would not thank them for "upgrading" me to something with an automatic transmission.
CSR is $75k limit:
https://cardbenefits.chase.com/chase...-damage-waiver
https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-ca...ance-benefits/

The attempts by rental place to give you a “free UG” can be an issue and take you over that limit.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all, very useful information. Just ordered a Chase card, we get the fee waived as my wife is a 'client' due to family so I can also become a 'client' and have those fees waived through her. I'll also probably contact them when I get my credit card to send a document that proves my credit card covers the insurance, then I'll use it to book a rental.

Still umming and ahhing on manual vs. automatic. I did drive a manual my first trip back after a year out of the country from London to Birmingham and was fine. But now it's been a lot longer though this time, so I might swing to auto. I'll have to check the status of the electric car charging point situation in my small town though. Don't want to get caught short at any point!
Old Oct 19th 2022, 12:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I'll also probably contact them when I get my credit card to send a document that proves my credit card covers the insurance, then I'll use it to book a rental. ....
I had that idea (not with a Chase card), and what I was pointed to was a web page from the card issuer, stating the coverage limits, terms, and conditions. I printed out a paper copy to take with me, but it is apparently well known in rental businesses in the UK, that US cards cover the supplemental insurance so that I never needed to show the paper copy of the coverage terms. I am sure that such a page also exists within Chase's credit card web site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.