Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

cream, cream, cream.

cream, cream, cream.

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute
Default cream, cream, cream.

yes its another one of those threads.

the best cream ive found so far is deans 'fresh' heavy cream. Its got ONE ingredient which is almost unbelievable for the USA and that is .........cream.

The labelling doesnt mention 'ultra pasteurised' so im going to guess this is flash pasteurised or similar.

it whips fine of course but as always its a rather weak affair, the 35% fat makes for a rather thin, fluffy and not especially tasty scone topping.

Has anybody actually found any fresh cream fattier than heavy cream anywhere in the US? I'm not talking those crappy little bottles of devon cream all UHT'd up. Apparently jersey cream (ie from US jersey cows) can be found rarely in some stores if you are lucky.

I suppose im just being picky, afterall i could get some cool whip......

talking food and stuff, if you are struggling to find muscovado sugar (ie some genuine raw stuff) I did find some horribly overpriced at whole foods (and it looked very good) but i found something i assume is exactly the same, its more of a south american import, its sold in big chunks, basically compressed sugar, i cant remember what its actually called in spanish, but try your local ethnic stores, they could well have it, it tastes great and makes a superb sticky toffee pudding, its also inexpensive.

Last edited by bugman; Jul 22nd 2009 at 1:39 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cream, cream, cream.

See if there is a dairy somewhere close to you then find out where they distribute to. The best stuff is generally not going to be available nationally and will have to be sought out in your area.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
See if there is a dairy somewhere close to you then find out where they distribute to. The best stuff is generally not going to be available nationally and will have to be sought out in your area.
Aye, up where we used to live in Maine, the local co-op hippy grocery store got it fresh from a local farm and it was fantastic.

Our local WholeFoods gets some from a local farm too which costs way to much, but then a few towns over there's a right dodgy looking Italian deli, which is surprisingly well nice inside, and they've loads of random great stuff.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:53 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, up where we used to live in Maine, the local co-op hippy grocery store got it fresh from a local farm and it was fantastic.

Our local WholeFoods gets some from a local farm too which costs way to much, but then a few towns over there's a right dodgy looking Italian deli, which is surprisingly well nice inside, and they've loads of random great stuff.
When you lived up here Bob, did you ever go to the Common Ground Fair in Unity? that is a good place for finding small family owned organic products that resemble fresh produce from the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
When you lived up here Bob, did you ever go to the Common Ground Fair in Unity? that is a good place for finding small family owned organic products that resemble fresh produce from the UK.
Yup....that was only up the road from us...pretty cool stuff for the hippies who spin/knit...aka the missus
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
I suppose im just being picky, afterall i could get some cool whip......
Well you could - if you aren't fussy. Cool Whip will do in a trifle but it's somehow just not the same.

Now both clotted cream and jam is what you really need for your scones.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

ok, im bumping my own thread here.

ive decided to forget about getting anything over 'heavy' cream as its probably just not going to happen but....

interestingly i took a carton of meijers heavy cream from fridge, its been sat in there for a few weeks unopened, anyway its 2 weeks plast best by which means nothing of course, its still perfectly good BUT the fat component has risen to the top of the carton, so i poured off the lower thinner stuff (which i guess wont whip now, more like pouring) and then opened up the carton and scooped out the very thick clotted cream like stuff that was stuck to the top and sides. BTW its still white, its not yellow of course.

OK, there isnt a lot, maybe enough for 1-2 scones, but a few quick flicks with a fork (literally about 10 stirs, shows how much fat is in there!) in a small bowl and it whipped into very much a whipped clotted cream thickness. It still doesnt taste of much but thats ok when its going on a scone with some jam....

its not something i'd do deliberately to get a small amount of thick cream but now i know it is possible in theory to get something more like double cream should the need arise out of desperation.

Last edited by bugman; Aug 3rd 2009 at 2:06 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

its not something i'd do deliberately to get a small amount of thick cream but now i know it is possible in theory to get something more like double cream should the need arise out of desperation.

I think you're there, Bud.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think you're there, Bud.
almost, its funny but at least my 'experiment' wasnt planned, it just happened by accident! I could even be crazy enough to bake a small batch of scones for later, thats 30 minutes of a job.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

ok, im bumping my own thread here.

ive decided to forget about getting anything over 'heavy' cream as its probably just not going to happen but....

interestingly i took a carton of meijers heavy cream from fridge, its been sat in there for a few weeks unopened, anyway its 2 weeks plast best by which means nothing of course, its still perfectly good BUT the fat component has risen to the top of the carton, so i poured off the lower thinner stuff (which i guess wont whip now, more like pouring) and then opened up the carton and scooped out the very thick clotted cream like stuff that was stuck to the top and sides. BTW its still white, its not yellow of course.

OK, there isnt a lot, maybe enough for 1-2 scones, but a few quick flicks with a fork (literally about 10 stirs, shows how much fat is in there!) in a small bowl and it whipped into very much a whipped clotted cream thickness. It still doesnt taste of much but thats ok when its going on a scone with some jam....

On what sort of occasion, specifically, would you need cream in desperation?
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sambapink
On what sort of occasion, specifically, would you need cream in desperation?
a scone occasion or perhaps if i felt like being especially naughty.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

a scone occasion or perhaps if i felt like being especially naughty.
I getcha
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

when my Mum comes over (she lives in Devon so what she doesn't know about clotted cream isn't worth knowing!!) she always puts sour cream on her puds/fruit etc. She says it's a lot nicer than the heavy cream in her opinion....just a thought. As for the sugar... no idea, sorry
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
when my Mum comes over (she lives in Devon so what she doesn't know about clotted cream isn't worth knowing!!) she always puts sour cream on her puds/fruit etc. She says it's a lot nicer than the heavy cream in her opinion....just a thought. As for the sugar... no idea, sorry

interesting on using sour cream, i know that TJ's carries creme fraiche which is good but very rich, ironically i'd prefer a lower fat creme fraiche and use more, esp on fruits.

sour cream would go well with plum crumble I imagine, im going to try that.

i like the 'daisy' sour cream, that seems to be the one with the least ingredients, i think its just cream and culture.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Has modified milk ingridients gotten popular down there yet? High dairy costs up here and what is good products south of the border suck up here....

You will probably have best luck at smaller regional stores, the big markets only like to sell the most popular highest turn over products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.