British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Coyote in our garden :( Some advice needed please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/coyote-our-garden-some-advice-needed-please-859942/)

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 12th 2015 2:50 am

Re: Coyote in our garden :( Some advice needed please

I think here you just need a small game license, if you reported it I would imagine they would laugh.

You do need anything too heavy, especially if you are looking to sell the pelt.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 12th 2015 2:52 am

Coyote Hunting 101 | How to Hunt Coyotes

A good source of info for your State.

Pulaski Jun 12th 2015 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11672201)
..... There are five other pest animals in NC that can be legally shot at any time and without limit: groundhogs, nutria (coypu), skunks, armadillos, and feral pigs.

Questions have been raised by an, .... er, ..... "higher authority" about armadillos in NC. Armadillos were first reported in Texas in 1849, and had reached western Tennessee by 1980. The first reports of armadillos in North Carolina were made in 2008, and sightings have been confirmed in six NC ounties and there have been credible reports in six more.

It has been anticipated that they will continue to spread north into the pink area of the map below, as far north as southern half of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, the southernmost part of New York, and Connecticut, Rhode Island, and SE Massachusetts. :blink: Contrary to their image as a creature of the arid semi-desert and scrub, they evolved in the rain forests and are at home in dense damp woodland, but they are adaptable and are also found in a variety of habitats. Curiously the predators that prey on armadillos include the pest species: coyotes and feral pigs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._expansion.png

Boomhauer Jun 12th 2015 6:45 am

Let me quote the lead male character in the movie "Gods Must be Crazy 2"

"If you don't bother them , they won't bother you":lol:

Boomhauer Jun 12th 2015 6:48 am

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 13th 2015 12:17 am

Not a coyote, but I ran into a bear today, luckily it has no interest in me. I turned the corner on my bike coming to work, and right in front of me a bear, just went to the far side of the road and rode as fast as I could, figured it was better then turning my back and going the same way it was headed.

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 13th 2015 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11673964)
Not a coyote, but I ran into a bear today, luckily it has no interest in me. I turned the corner on my bike coming to work, and right in front of me a bear, just went to the far side of the road and rode as fast as I could, figured it was better then turning my back and going the same way it was headed.

:eek:

Yogi or Booboo???:lol:

audio Jun 13th 2015 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11673268)
Questions have been raised by an, .... er, ..... "higher authority" about armadillos in NC. Armadillos were first reported in Texas in 1849, and had reached western Tennessee by 1980. The first reports of armadillos in North Carolina were made in 2008, and sightings have been confirmed in six NC ounties and there have been credible reports in six more.

It has been anticipated that they will continue to spread north into the pink area of the map below, as far north as southern half of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, the southernmost part of New York, and Connecticut, Rhode Island, and SE Massachusetts. :blink: Contrary to their image as a creature of the arid semi-desert and scrub, they evolved in the rain forests and are at home in dense damp woodland, but they are adaptable and are also found in a variety of habitats. Curiously the predators that prey on armadillos include the pest species: coyotes and feral pigs.

Armadillos make a right mess of my yard but worryingly they can spread leprosy, I have found them very elusive to trap or shoot.
Main problem we have is gators, even a very young one will carry off a sizable pet and if you’re bitten and survive the toxins from their mouths will make you ill for months and they are protected :eek:

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 13th 2015 8:40 pm

Had a number of invasions this week, first rabbits and then a cow and a calf.

The calf was nearly as big as my puppy.

Pulaski Jun 13th 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11674407)
Had a number of invasions this week, first rabbits and then a cow and a calf.

The calf was nearly as big as my puppy.

I came home 45 minutes ago (4pm in the afternoon) and found at least one deer hanging out in the thicket of saplings on the bank just above the shed.

I carefully avoided a young groundhog earlier today, when I was in town - it was slinking across the road and both the car coming the other way and I slowed, before it had second thoughts and went back in front of my and into someone's front garden.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 13th 2015 8:50 pm

Wrong time of year to be hanging a deer. Moose I find scary.

Pulaski Jun 13th 2015 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11674411)
Wrong time of year to be hanging a deer. .....

:p

..... Moose I find scary.
I've never found a moose in my back yard. :lol:

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 13th 2015 9:01 pm

One of my neighbours had a bear. Do not seem to come by me, maybe at night, the dog has gone bonkers a few times in the early hours.

Pulaski Jun 13th 2015 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11674422)
One of my neighbours had a bear. Do not seem to come by me, maybe at night, the dog has gone bonkers a few times in the early hours.

We had a bear come through several neighbour's yards a few years ago. As far as I know the closest it got to us was behind the houses on the far side of the road behind our house. We don't have a dog. :huh:

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 13th 2015 9:06 pm

Mine is too fast, no good to me if we come across a bear.