Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Yes, the Statewide pilot for LA and San Diego Counties is interesting. I find it easy to use for registration, giving information, and obtaining a date. But I get stuck at the step requiring one of 40 time slots, none of which is available . One MUST select one. I have yet to figure out that one.

The LA Fire Department system (e.g. Dodger Stadium) was changed to allow appointments for second dose. It requires type of dose #1, date of Jab #1, date of required Jab #2, and then pick date then available time. So, I go through the procedure to get shot 2 on Feb 18th. It then confirms that I've a new appointment for shot #1 on Feb 6. In confirming e-mail I use the supplied link to cancel. Then I go back in to website to again request #2 for Feb 18 and again get confirmation for #1 for Feb 6. Cancel again.

Sigh.
That seems an unnecessary complication, having to book the second appointment online. Here in New York, at the time of vaccination the vaccinator gives you a card recording the fist vaccination and an appointment for the second vaccination, date/time. Then there’s an exit interview, where the National Guard counsellor tells you you can in practice attend at any time on the day of the second appointment.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 1:05 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We have got as far as filling in the "interest form" online (a suburb of Chicago).

OH will be ahead of me, as a 1c. They have just started 1b I think, which is a fairly large group here and the local Dept of Health that is organising things isn't very big so still don't know when OH will be summoned. I'm squarely down in the also-rans, so even less idea when I get called.

Old Feb 2nd 2021, 2:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here’s a short article from my local radio station, talking about how the authorities are trying to help older people, who may not have internet access or a cell phone, negotiate the challenge of booking the COVID vaccination appointment.

https://www.northcountrypublicradio....or-the-elderly

If they have to, the counselors are actually walking through the whole sign up process themselves, using their own cell phone and email, printing off the necessary paperwork, and getting it to the client via snail mail.

It really makes you wonder if we’ve gone too far in putting all these processes online, on the assumption that everyone has internet access and a smart phone.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Here’s a short article from my local radio station, talking about how the authorities are trying to help older people, who may not have internet access or a cell phone, negotiate the challenge of booking the COVID vaccination appointment.

https://www.northcountrypublicradio....or-the-elderly

If they have to, the counselors are actually walking through the whole sign up process themselves, using their own cell phone and email, printing off the necessary paperwork, and getting it to the client via snail mail.

It really makes you wonder if we’ve gone too far in putting all these processes online, on the assumption that everyone has internet access and a smart phone.
Totally agree.... banks and investment companies now , regularly, want to send you a confirmation code, even when you just log on with them. They, invariably, ask for a mobile phone number. As you say, not everyone has a smart phone.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Saw on news last nite that Tennessee was opening vaccine up to 70 and above from original 75. Called Moore county health department this morning and was put on waiting list expecting long wait. Was called back a couple hours later with appointment for tomorrow morning.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Saw on news last nite that Tennessee was opening vaccine up to 70 and above from original 75. Called Moore county health department this morning and was put on waiting list expecting long wait. Was called back a couple hours later with appointment for tomorrow morning.
Got first vaccination (Moderna) yesterday morning. It couldn’t have been easier. A drive thru tent is set up in local Lynchburg park. Got there 1015 for 1030 appointment and drove thru with no waiting whatsoever. I think three other cars were in line but none anywhere near me. I see those two mile long lines in urban areas and glad I don’t have to deal with that. Arm is a little sore but no significant problems.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 8:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Got first vaccination (Moderna) yesterday morning. It couldn’t have been easier. A drive thru tent is set up in local Lynchburg park. Got there 1015 for 1030 appointment and drove thru with no waiting whatsoever. I think three other cars were in line but none anywhere near me. I see those two mile long lines in urban areas and glad I don’t have to deal with that. Arm is a little sore but no significant problems.
Excellent, well done.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Follow up to above post: Managed to get an appointment for hubby for 11am on 31 Jan. Turned up at 10.40am (they request you only arrive 15 mins before appointment) to find around 200 people milling around outside the building. There was a VERY slow moving line going through the snakey rope area and a large crowd outside of this. No signs as to where to line up for your slot, no staff outside giving advice. It was chaos. Finally found they were only processing slots for 10.00am. It was hot, in an three sided courtyard, little wind and totally not condusive to keeping any social distancing. No toilets, no seats, some more elderly people were sitting on the ground. At 11.30 they were only processing the 10.15 slots. So a wait of at least 1.5 hours before even getting into the building. People coming out were saying it was one long line in the building.
Either they were totally understaffed. , had no idea how long each person would take to process or no organisational skills to set up such an event. In the end we left without getting the vaccination, as were others. Such a shambles; the Health Agency in charge of this center should be ashamed.
Further update to my saga: Got an appointment for Petco Park in downtown San Diego - a superstation which plans for between 2 and 3K vaccinations a day !. Thought we were going to have a re-occurence of our last attempt, but it could not have been easier. There by 8am for 8.45 appointment, and out by 9.30! Totally organised from the people outside the enormous car park with direction signs, to the guys directing you to check in lines, to the lady organising the actual rows where you were vaccinated. (and you stay in your car the whole time) Could not have been more different to our first attempt in North County. Even have our 2nd date booked. Well done San Diego City and UCSD health system.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Further update to my saga: Got an appointment for Petco Park in downtown San Diego - a superstation which plans for between 2 and 3K vaccinations a day !. Thought we were going to have a re-occurence of our last attempt, but it could not have been easier. There by 8am for 8.45 appointment, and out by 9.30! Totally organised from the people outside the enormous car park with direction signs, to the guys directing you to check in lines, to the lady organising the actual rows where you were vaccinated. (and you stay in your car the whole time) Could not have been more different to our first attempt in North County. Even have our 2nd date booked. Well done San Diego City and UCSD health system.

Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:25 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Good news. The first was no big deal, it was the 2nd one that kicked my ass for 24 hours (Pfizer) - I hope yours is better.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What were the issues from the second dose? How long did they last? I'm due for my follow-up on the 13th.

I have Moderna, however.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 1:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Flu symptoms. Body aches, headache.

Came on after about 6 hours, and lasted about 36 hours after injection for me.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I live with body aches and have daily headaches so unless it magnifies both, it will seem like normal times for me.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by civilservant
Flu symptoms. Body aches, headache.

Came on after about 6 hours, and lasted about 36 hours after injection for me.
I’ve heard this from a couple of people. I’d usually take acetaminophen to counter this; but I’ve heard speculation that it would be best NOT to treat these flu-like symptoms, in order to give your immune reactions free rein to do their thing. I don’t know if there’s any truth in that ...
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

According to BBC radio just now seems about 1 in 200 have a reaction of note.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.