Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Apr 9th 2021, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Google tells me that fainting after vaccination is quite common. Any vaccination. I'd never heard of it before.
Giving shots at a pediatricians office for 10 years I can tell you Google is correct. And teenage boys were the most common culprits in my experience! Tetanus shots seemed to be the one that they panicked about . Yep, reviving a hefty 14 year old from a dead faint is quite a challenge. I always gave them a choice if they seemed nervous to either sit or lay down. At least if they were already laying down it was easier for recovery.
I don't miss those days at all!
Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Giving shots at a pediatricians office for 10 years I can tell you Google is correct. And teenage boys were the most common culprits in my experience!
My stepson has needle phobia. He will literally fight you off.
He had the H1N1 shot at school - his mates held him down.

I took him for a blood test 10 years ago when he was still 18. He wouldn't let the phlebotomist near him...but she didn't really try. We went back the next day and a more experienced one managed but he fainted when it was done. She took it all in her stride.

I could easily convince myself that it was the same one who gave me my jab on Tuesday.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Giving shots at a pediatricians office for 10 years I can tell you Google is correct. And teenage boys were the most common culprits in my experience! Tetanus shots seemed to be the one that they panicked about . Yep, reviving a hefty 14 year old from a dead faint is quite a challenge. I always gave them a choice if they seemed nervous to either sit or lay down. At least if they were already laying down it was easier for recovery.

Mine was a fainter, but over blood, even imagining that he was going to see blood rather than any actual blood, but not needles as such. He has mostly grown out of it - I think being on his school wrestling team got him used to the idea
Old Apr 9th 2021, 12:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Mine was a fainter, but over blood, even imagining that he was going to see blood rather than any actual blood, but not needles as such. He has mostly grown out of it - I think being on his school wrestling team got him used to the idea
When I was taking blood at work, before phlebotomists, if we had a big strapping well built guy come in for a blood test, we often offered the chance to lay down first, or would even send someone to follow him till he got out of the building, as these were the most likely to faint.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

But presumably, these cases of fainting are more directly related to the actual injection event - the thought of the needle, etc? In my case, I'm totally OK with jabs, and the injection event passed without incident. My 'light headedness' in both cases (both injections) happened many minutes after the event, during the 15-minute 'sit and wait' period. Thinking more about it, I do have very low blood pressure, such that, if I stand quickly I can get decidedly light-headed, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the concept, but in this case it was noticeably more intense. After each of my recent covid jabs, I was sitting calmly watching the world go by. So either it was an actual physical reaction to the vaccine, or, a psychological reaction to being surrounded by walmart shoppers! I guess I'll just see what happens when I get a 'booster' shot in 6-12 months - something I'm hearing will be inevitable!

Old Apr 9th 2021, 6:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But presumably, these cases of fainting are more directly related to the actual injection event - the thought of the needle, etc? In my case, I'm totally OK with jabs, and the injection event passed without incident. My 'light headedness' in both cases (both injections) happened many minutes after the event, during the 15-minute 'sit and wait' period. Thinking more about it, I do have very low blood pressure, such that, if I stand quickly I can get decidedly light-headed, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the concept, but in this case it was noticeably more intense. After each of my recent covid jabs, I was sitting calmly watching the world go by. So either it was an actual physical reaction to the vaccine, or, a psychological reaction to being surrounded by walmart shoppers! I guess I'll just see what happens when I get a 'booster' shot in 6-12 months - something I'm hearing will be inevitable!

Google told me that the 15-minute post injection period is prime fainting time.

"Vasovagal Syncope, or fainting, is a rare but possible vaccine side-effect. Fainting is reported after nearly every type of vaccine. About 80% of post-vaccine fainting happens 15 minutes after the injections. Patients may feel dizzy or light-headed though generally regain consciousness within a few minutes."

Old Apr 9th 2021, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I put my hand up and acknowledge I am a wimp for needles had hardly braced myself for this one and it was done.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Just curious - what constitutes 'drugged to the eyeballs (legally)'? Alcohol? I was apprehensive about an MRI a few years ago and got the doc to give me a vallium-like sedative, which was most enjoyable!
Yes, Valium - she doesn't drink alcohol, but the results seem fairly similar.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My stepson has needle phobia. He will literally fight you off.
He had the H1N1 shot at school - his mates held him down.

I took him for a blood test 10 years ago when he was still 18. He wouldn't let the phlebotomist near him...but she didn't really try. We went back the next day and a more experienced one managed but he fainted when it was done. She took it all in her stride.

I could easily convince myself that it was the same one who gave me my jab on Tuesday.

If I see the blood come out, I will faint at the lab, if I look away and don't see it, I am all good. Weirdly though I can sit and watch them take other peoples blood no issue, only affects me if its mine.

I do faint almost every visit to the dentist though, and when I stand up too quickly, but needles, eh I can handle those all day long, a good phlebotomist should be able to do it nearly painlessly.

Of all the vaccines I have received in my 42 years where I was old enough to remember the injection, tetanus is by far the most painful one I have ever gotten, not sure why, but dang does it ever hurt, not looking forward to my 10 year booster soon.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 9th 2021 at 8:38 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

21 hours after receiving our 2nd Moderna jabs yesterday, and so far no ill-effects. The trouble and strife is complaining of a sore arm, but that is about the extent of it.

No waiting in line this time, we were ushered straight in to the big hall. I think it's wonderful that the staff at these events dress in full military camouflage, big boots and waving orange flags. If gives one the sense that everyone is pulling together in this historical fight against the pandemic peril. I don't however believe for a moment these people are real soldiers, they are far too polite and friendly. Now imagine that they all decided instead to wear hospital-style white coats, I would probably have fainted before reaching the first "station".
Best of all, we were not asked for ID, medical insurance, or credit cards. Quite remarkable.

One local resident however is not happy with this arrangement. When her husband arrived home and admitted to having being vaccinated, she pulled out her pistol and threatened to kill him. When the arresting deputy advised her Miranda rights, the 74-year old lady
told the officer to shove it up his ass

Old Apr 10th 2021, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Come on
Citation needed

I gotta read THAT !
Old Apr 10th 2021, 8:28 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
21 hours after receiving our 2nd Moderna jabs yesterday, and so far no ill-effects. The trouble and strife is complaining of a sore arm, but that is about the extent of it.

No waiting in line this time, we were ushered straight in to the big hall. I think it's wonderful that the staff at these events dress in full military camouflage, big boots and waving orange flags. If gives one the sense that everyone is pulling together in this historical fight against the pandemic peril. I don't however believe for a moment these people are real soldiers, they are far too polite and friendly. Now imagine that they all decided instead to wear hospital-style white coats, I would probably have fainted before reaching the first "station".
Best of all, we were not asked for ID, medical insurance, or credit cards. Quite remarkable.

One local resident however is not happy with this arrangement. When her husband arrived home and admitted to having being vaccinated, she pulled out her pistol and threatened to kill him. When the arresting deputy advised her Miranda rights, the 74-year old lady .
Originally Posted by steveq
Come on
Citation needed

I gotta read THAT !
This one? https://carsonnow.org/story/04/05/20...-vaccin?page=1
Old Apr 10th 2021, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
"A deputy attempted to gain further information about the incident and advised the woman of her Miranda rights. The woman told the officer to shove it up his ass and refused to answer any further questions."

How do you shove Miranda rights up your ass??
Old Apr 10th 2021, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

How many posting here have served in the Armed Forces. I remember getting about six shots one after the other, sometimes two at the same time.
No question about of being squeamish about getting shots. To this day I have no idea what I was getting the jabs for.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
How many posting here have served in the Armed Forces. I remember getting about six shots one after the other, sometimes two at the same time.
No question about of being squeamish about getting shots. To this day I have no idea what I was getting the jabs for.
Air Force basic training San Antonio in 67. They used the pneumatic guns injecting into left and right arms as you moved thru the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.