Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Apr 13th 2021, 10:31 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Having been given the TB vaccine as a kid in the UK, my employer (healthcare provider) who is mandated to test for TB every year as part of CMS guidelines instead gives me a chest XRay since the test will show positive due to vaccination.

The first time I was tested caused a minor panic when it showed positive, despite the fact that I had clearly indicated on the sheet beforehand that I had been vaccinated and have the scar to prove it.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 13th 2021 at 10:53 am.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 10:42 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Having been given the TB vaccine as a kid in the UK, my employer (healthcare provider) who is mandated to test for TB every year as part of CMS guidelines instead gives me a chest XRay since the test will show positive due to vaccination.

The first time I was tested caused a minor panic when it showed positive, despite the fact that I had clearly indicated to the sheet beforehand that I had been vaccinated and have the scar to prove it.
Yep.. I've "failed" TB tests for two jobs due to having been vaccinated as a kid. The second time I was at least able to tell them upfront I was likely to fail. The first time I didn't make the connection at all and wondered what was going on.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

The first time I was tested caused a minor panic when it showed positive, despite the fact that I had clearly indicated on the sheet beforehand that I had been vaccinated and have the scar to prove it.
Do you mean that you were found by chest X-ray to have the Ghon Focus thing, or actual Latent TB?
Old Apr 13th 2021, 11:29 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No. I receive a chest XRay each year to check that I do not have TB, because testing does not render anything other than a positive due to previous vaccination.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the UK and US handled TB differently. In the UK kids were routinely tested around the age of 11, most were then vaccinated.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 1:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Yeah when I turn my head a certain way, I hear Radio Luxembourg. I always wondered why that was.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You got Long Wave then.

Old Apr 13th 2021, 1:25 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the UK and US handled TB differently. In the UK kids were routinely tested around the age of 11, most were then vaccinated.
Yes after starting high school we were tested and vaccinated a week later if no positive reaction to the skin test. One of my classmates did show positive and there was much consternation until it was discovered she had been vaccinated as a baby as one of her grandparents had TB at that time. BCG has not been used routinely in the UK since 2005, so my daughter had it but not my sons. This is why the immigration medical in the UK uses a chest X-ray rather than the skin test - there would be many false positives. When we had our test done in the USA for AoS to permanent resident our younger son had the cheaper skin test, while steveq and I had the expensive Quantiferon gold test.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I was born in 1950 and was never vaccinated for smallpox.

The mention of TB reminds me that TB vaccination was not used in the US. The fight against TB was via testing. I recall that TB vaccination would make the tuberculin test useless.
I was vaccinated against smallpox in the early 60's after an outbreak in various UK locations traced to a village in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir. I happened to live in one of the places where the outbreak was and remember being rushed to the doctor one evening for the vaccination.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought smallpox was one of the standard ones everybody got.

I also had a US skin text scare, by the time I got back to the Surgery the Doctor had realised I would be positive for that.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 5:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

The last case was diagnosed in 1977, and it was declared eradicated in 1980, all due to worldwide blanket vaccination.

So people aren't vaccinated against it any more.

Old Apr 13th 2021, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The last case was diagnosed in 1977, and it was declared eradicated in 1980, all due to worldwide blanket vaccination.

So people aren't vaccinated against it any more.
An astoundingly excellent worldwide achievement by medical science & public health authorities back then. We can only hope that Covid might be similarly vanquished by today's experts & govts.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

I also had a US skin text scare, by the time I got back to the Surgery the Doctor had realised I would be positive for that.

US stopped routine small pox vaccination of the public in 1972.

TB vaccine info for the US is here if anyone is curious what groups are recommended for vaccination in the US for it.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This is bringing back memories ... you got 'something' done to your arm; a week later they checked, and if there was a reaction on your arm (swelling?) then you got (or didn't get?) the vaccine? I was born in 1958 if that helps locate the event in time.

Also - was it TB where they treated 'girls' and 'boys' differently? Boys got it on the outer area of the arm, but girls got it somewhere else, because women ... well, women don't want no ugly scars on their sexy arms!
Old Apr 14th 2021, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This is bringing back memories ... you got 'something' done to your arm; a week later they checked, and if there was a reaction on your arm (swelling?) then you got (or didn't get?) the vaccine? I was born in 1958 if that helps locate the event in time.

Also - was it TB where they treated 'girls' and 'boys' differently? Boys got it on the outer area of the arm, but girls got it somewhere else, because women ... well, women don't want no ugly scars on their sexy arms!
The initial test was done on the underside of your wrist. The vaccination was given in the outside of the upper arm for boys and girls. I remember the injection site developed into what looked like a small volcano...then it erupted. I have the scar.

I don’t recall any vaccination being different for boys and girls.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 12:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

The initial test was done on the underside of your wrist. The vaccination was given in the outside of the upper arm for boys and girls. I remember the injection site developed into what looked like a small volcano...then it erupted. I have the scar.

I don’t recall any vaccination being different for boys and girls.

I don't know that this was policy, exactly, or just my parents, but for our baby vaccinations my parents had the nurse give them to us in the bottom of our feet (?!!) so we wouldn't have visible scars. I don't even know that those vaccines left scars any more at that point. There were never any on my feet anyway. But I remember as a child seeing large scars on adults' arms. I got a tb shot at 13, in my arm, and there was little white mark that is now invisible unless you know exactly what to look for, and where. It annkyed my parents at the time. Damaged goods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.