Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Feb 14th 2021, 12:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Originally Posted by Rete
He tried here in MS and they found him ineligible. I believe you have had to have the virus x number of months prior to getting the vaccine and he doesn't fit the criteria.
It does say a wait of 90 in certain cases. Hopefully he will be able to get it before too long.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 12:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Had my second jab of Moderna this morning. Reaction after 1-1/2 hours was very lightheaded, tired and a slight headache. I slept for 4 hours and awoke without the headache and no long lightheaded.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 12:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

A FB notice received the other day from our town in Mississippi: (The opened at 12 p.m. and were out of today's vaccine by 1:30 pm)

“A walk-in, no appointment necessary vaccination clinic for COVID-19 is a HUGE deal, particularly for our underserved communities… At this point, vaccination is so critical, and we have to continue to work to get shots into the arms of our most vulnerable populations.”
- Dr. Jawauna Stewart,
=AZWFErGM0QM4z0fsQADnAWGIls5vUg_5ZHj2ngatIpjGKQmuQ BaJlI0dAjZL8ItIE1iaqeRSPh4r_RL5hnytu7xn5J9p8nmoW_C gnwc8JJPok6G5RI-YW3Dr6IH9XU0iX46QNM2ypYtbbOM1y2hW7b9eUI2Q6bNauG3_s cg8v7e95g&__tn__=kK-y-R]Hattiesburg Clinic
This weekend, February 13 and 14 - from Noon until 5 p.m. - CE Roy Community Center (300 East 5th Street) will serve as a free vaccination clinic.
252 vaccinations will be distributed per day.
All vaccinations are at no cost to the patient.
No appointment is needed.
First-come-first served.
While all eligible populations (as determined by MSDH) can receive the vaccine, please help us share this information with those who might not be able access the technology needed to book appointments at other sites.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

A FB notice received the other day from our town in Mississippi: (The opened at 12 p.m. and were out of today's vaccine by 1:30 pm)

“A walk-in, no appointment necessary vaccination clinic for COVID-19 is a HUGE deal, particularly for our underserved communities… At this point, vaccination is so critical, and we have to continue to work to get shots into the arms of our most vulnerable populations.”
- Dr. Jawauna Stewart,
=AZWFErGM0QM4z0fsQADnAWGIls5vUg_5ZHj2ngatIpjGKQmuQ BaJlI0dAjZL8ItIE1iaqeRSPh4r_RL5hnytu7xn5J9p8nmoW_C gnwc8JJPok6G5RI-YW3Dr6IH9XU0iX46QNM2ypYtbbOM1y2hW7b9eUI2Q6bNauG3_s cg8v7e95g&__tn__=kK-y-R]Hattiesburg Clinic
This weekend, February 13 and 14 - from Noon until 5 p.m. - CE Roy Community Center (300 East 5th Street) will serve as a free vaccination clinic.
252 vaccinations will be distributed per day.
All vaccinations are at no cost to the patient.
No appointment is needed.
First-come-first served.
While all eligible populations (as determined by MSDH) can receive the vaccine, please help us share this information with those who might not be able access the technology needed to book appointments at other sites.
I don't see how things like this achieve the stated objective of getting "our most vulnerable population" vaccinated. Those vaccinated by this were most probably those that were willing and able to stand in line for a long period of time before the clinic opened.

It's illustrative of how the fragmented US health system is at a disadvantage in a mass vaccination situation. Another example in CA is that when divvying up where vaccine should go, the state underestimated the needs of Kaiser to such an extent that Kaiser is mailing elderly patients to go elsewhere. Countries that have dastardly centralized socialized medicine systems don't run into these kind of issues as much.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Why do you think so many medical personnel are declining? In contrast, my primary care doctor made a point of telling when, where and which covid vaccine she'd taken. And encouraged me to get vaccinated asap. On the other hand I have an in law - a retired nurse - who's an anti-vaxxer. But of course she was all in for hydroxychloroquine. Go figure.
The nurses union here in BC actually fought mandatory flu vaccines and masks for years, the government about 10-11 years ago said nurses and other front line workers needed to get flu vaccine or wear a mask during their shift, the union fought it, and eventually just before the pandemic the union won and the government backed down and now the same union complaining about the lack of vaccines for COVID and how its being distributed....

I wish they would speed up delivery of the vaccine here, but its a supply issue but supposedly will pick up pace soon, although if AZ is approved and is indeed not as effective against other strains, I don't know how that will play out, somedays I am not even sure if we will ever live a pre-2020 life again.

I wish last fall I had been chosen for the access program to LTC training and jobs, would have gotten at least 1 dose by now.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 14th 2021 at 2:03 am.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 2:30 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

He tried here in MS and they found him ineligible. I believe you have had to have the virus x number of months prior to getting the vaccine and he doesn't fit the criteria.
I am sure it varies by state, but I have two work colleagues who got their first shot of Moderna 3 weeks after showing a clear test (having had Covid). Both got their 2nd shot last week (29 days after the first).

Edit to add, Sky are running a story that France are now saying you only need one shot if you have had the virus. No idea how reliable that is (the story or the science).

Last edited by Nutek; Feb 14th 2021 at 2:33 am. Reason: Moar werdz
Old Feb 14th 2021, 4:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I hope this isn't coming out as self-righteous,.
It isn't . You are concerned for you and yours and rightly so.

Old Feb 14th 2021, 6:28 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good news today.
1. The pace of US vaccinations has been steadily increasing and the 7 day trailing average number of vaccinations (first shot) is about 1.7mm/day. I'd like to see something around 5mm/day+ but I'll take it.
2. Biden confirmed yesterday that his advisors now expect the US to have enough doses of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to inoculate everyone in the US by July with both doses. They had been saying Aug-Sep in prior communications. Uptake might take longer, but at least the supply will be there two months earlier than previously forecasted. I hope they can continue to bring more manufacturing capacity online and push that date to June.

Last edited by Hiro11; Feb 14th 2021 at 6:31 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2021, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
the mentions above of people being "worried" about the second dose" or that they "have heard" that they may get some side effects from the second dose bothers me. Maybe that's irrational on my part, but in these reactionary, conspiracy-thirsty times any hint of waffling about the safety of the vaccine will decrease the speed of uptake and encourage the anti-vaxx nutballs out there. We can't tolerate that, every minute matters and this is a matter of life and death. I don't mean to offend anyone, again I realize I'm emotional about this.
First, I agree with everything else you said. But I think it's important to keep the conversations about the potentially unpleasant effects of the shots right out in the open. Discussing them in the full light of day is the best defence against "well, I heard about my neighbor's postman's niece...". Leave no scraps for those in the dark corners to feed on.

The fact of the matter is that you can often feel the effects of your immune system's activities. Personally, I have never enjoyed this part of getting vaccinations (hello, typhoid ), but it has never, ever stopped me and it certainly won't do so this time. However, I will try to clear my schedule when the time comes. Bring it on!
Old Feb 15th 2021, 12:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Why do you think so many medical personnel are declining? In contrast, my primary care doctor made a point of telling when, where and which covid vaccine she'd taken. And encouraged me to get vaccinated asap. On the other hand I have an in law - a retired nurse - who's an anti-vaxxer. But of course she was all in for hydroxychloroquine. Go figure.
There is a lot of fear amongst the 'somewhat' informed about Messenger RNA and the fact that it's brand new tech, in an unapproved vaccine. I would not say that's the main reason, but it's certainly something I hear a lot.

A good number of people say that they may take it at some unspecified time in the future, but that they are not going to guinea pigs.

Of course, the fact that I live and work in one of the strongest R leaning areas in the country doesn't help. Some of it is just anti-vax or anti-Government.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Had my first shot of Moderna this afternoon. I was scheduled for March 17 at the main local hospital, but they called at 1 pm today to say there were open slots at the senior center in town and my OH and I both got appointments. So far so good, though I had a bad reaction to my pneumonia shot about eight hours later. Now I get the second shot on the day I had been going to get the first. I’ll be nervous then as friends have reported not feeling great for a day after their second.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Was in with a chance of a shot this afternoon, but they ran out of vaccine before my turn came.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Had my first shot of Moderna this afternoon. I was scheduled for March 17 at the main local hospital, but they called at 1 pm today to say there were open slots at the senior center in town and my OH and I both got appointments. So far so good, though I had a bad reaction to my pneumonia shot about eight hours later. Now I get the second shot on the day I had been going to get the first. I’ll be nervous then as friends have reported not feeling great for a day after their second.
Well done!! Great that your second dose is scheduled for 1 month’s time. My sister in the UK, had her first AZ shot today...her second is scheduled for May 5th.
Old Feb 17th 2021, 10:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well done!! Great that your second dose is scheduled for 1 month’s time. My sister in the UK, had her first AZ shot today...her second is scheduled for May 5th.
This is not as bad as you might think.

The first dose provides approx 75-80% immunity. The second dose provides the final 15-20% (this comes from the actual research data that was used to grant emergency auth)

I would rather be 75% protected and then wait for the second, then have to wait 3 months at 0%
Old Feb 17th 2021, 11:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by civilservant
This is not as bad as you might think.

The first dose provides approx 75-80% immunity. The second dose provides the final 15-20% (this comes from the actual research data that was used to grant emergency auth)

I would rather be 75% protected and then wait for the second, then have to wait 3 months at 0%
I agree. Unfortunately it looks like I will be waiting 3 months for the first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.