Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccination -- Have You Gotten It?

In my (admittedly very limited) sample of work colleagues, it was the men that experienced it worse than the women.

Although, as my wife said, us men can't handle discomfort. So maybe it wasn't actually all that bad

Last edited by civilservant; Feb 5th 2021 at 3:23 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Flu symptoms. Body aches, headache.

Came on after about 6 hours, and lasted about 36 hours after injection for me.
I felt the same after having the flu shot last October. Had the shot in the evening, woke the next morning with the same symptoms. The following day I was back to normal.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 7:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Our first Moderna dose was at Dodger Stadium on Jan 21 when procedure was to leave you to your own devices on second dose. The powers that be guarantee second dose via Posted info. I’ll believe it when I see it. In the meanwhile our HMO (Kaiser Permanente) has now made it available so we have an appointment for Feb 18th for DOS #2.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 7:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’ve heard this from a couple of people. I’d usually take acetaminophen to counter this; but I’ve heard speculation that it would be best NOT to treat these flu-like symptoms, in order to give your immune reactions free rein to do their thing. I don’t know if there’s any truth in that ...
Here is an article published in The Atlantic the other day.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 7:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Here is an article published in The Atlantic the other day.
Great article.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 2:02 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/05/...d-19-vaccines/

Really nice summary of the current understanding of vaccine efficacy and the impacts of the newer emerging variants.

Key points:
- The mRNA-based vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna are likely to be more effective against emerging variants than the non-mRNA based vaccines like J&J and Oxford.
- Regardless, all vaccines will have have strong ability to reduce the incidence of moderate or serious symptoms in infected patients. This is a critical feature of vaccines that has been under-reported: even if they don't prevent illness outright, all vaccines can reduce the symptoms of covid to a mild cold in the vast majority of cases.
- It's likely new variants will continue to pop-up and new boosters will be necessary. Work is proceeding to develop those boosters and speed up the regulatory approval process. Again, the speed of the mRNA process will help enormously here. An annual covid shot will likely be necessary (no big deal) and work is proceeding on developing multi-variant vaccines.
- Reducing transmission is critical not just for obvious reasons of reduced cases, reducing transmission also has the crucial effect of slowing the emergence of new variants.

Overall, I'm hopeful about the near future. Regardless of the emergence of new variants of covid-19, just in he past few weeks I think we're starting to get a firebreak established around the exponential spread we've been seeing in recent months. I'm also hopeful that vaccination efforts will really pick up steam in February which will further reduce transmissions and deaths. I'm starting to see a dim light at the end of this awful tunnel.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's grandma who is 89 got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday (we're in PA). She got the vaccine at 10.30 in the morning. She had chills in the afternoon for a couple of hours and then she just felt normal again and so far feels all good today as well. She has her second shot scheduled in 20 days which is the day before her 90th birthday. Took a couple of weeks of non stop searching to finally get the appointment which we booked online on her behalf.

My wife's parents also have their shots booked for March 25th and my wife who also falls into category 1a has hers booked for March 30th. I'm in the last category so I suspect I will be a few months yet.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They just told me to come back in 21 days to get the second, I registered on Monday got the call on Tuesday and the jab yesterday, the people who I know that have had 2 had the Moderna and the second one impacted them for a day or 2.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a couple of days ago. No side effects but of course it's the second dose that is problematic for some. My medical provider was super organized and I lucked out on getting an appointment for the second day they were vaccinating my age cohort. Vaccination site was in an exhibition hall. Huge building with 100+ staff administering vaccine. Second appointment set up at the same time for exactly three weeks after the first.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I got my first dose of Moderna yesterday. My daughter managed to get me an appointment at a pharmacy near her (30 miles from me). I go back in 28 days for the second one. Vaccines are hard to come by here in Ohio. My daughter even drove me as it was snowing and an evening appointment and I didn't want to drive back in the dark. I feel fine - as others have mentioned, it is the second does that makes you feel bad/tired. Not looking forward to that one, but I realize it is the only way to get life back to normal.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I got my first dose of Moderna yesterday. My daughter managed to get me an appointment at a pharmacy near her (30 miles from me). I go back in 28 days for the second one. Vaccines are hard to come by here in Ohio. My daughter even drove me as it was snowing and an evening appointment and I didn't want to drive back in the dark. I feel fine - as others have mentioned, it is the second does that makes you feel bad/tired. Not looking forward to that one, but I realize it is the only way to get life back to normal.
We had the Moderna and go back on the 27th of this month for the second one.

My son in-laws parents and grandfather had their second shot a week ago. His father had no side effects at all, nor did his 97 year old grandfather but his mother had a very bad headache that started about 8 hours after the shot and also felt really lethargic and achy for about a day. Then it totally went away.
I guess we are all different. We just have to wait and see!
Old Feb 12th 2021, 12:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

2nd shot (Moderna). Bit of a nagging headache the next day, (fixed with a couple of Tylenol). That's it really.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
2nd shot (Moderna). Bit of a nagging headache the next day, (fixed with a couple of Tylenol). That's it really.
And how many pieces of cake, love? I get mine tomorrow. Will have my tablets ready to swallow.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:19 pm
Often not so civil...

I am glad to see so many of my fellow BE peeps getting the shot. It's the only way we are going to beat this thing.

I am not so glad about the number of my colleagues that declined the shot, despite us all personally seeing the death toll that it has wrought on our patients.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 1:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I posted somewhere that I would quiz my dentist/Hygenist today. He is still trying to get an appt. I did not push it but seems they are on their own like everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.