Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Which country refuses more visitors, UK or USA?

Which country refuses more visitors, UK or USA?

Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which country refuses more visitors, UK or USA?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Actually the US can't question their citizens any more than the UK grill theirs. Customs can search your car but immigration can't force you to tell them where you're been and why as you're covered by the Fifth and Sixth Amendments. They can't deport you either.
They are all customs to me. Not sure I have ever actually spoken to immigration..

I am not going to make crossing difficult, easier to answer the questions, I have no reason to hide where I have been.

My wife having no legal right to enter the US could easily be denied entry if I decide to not cooperate and piss them off, and then for obvious reasons I'd also not be crossing.

I don't really care if its "possibly not legal" they clearly are allowed to ask or they wouldn't be asking now would they?

I am not in any position to fight the powers to be at the border, I know they can come up with pretty much any petty reason to deny entry to my wife.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 24th 2015 at 9:42 am.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am not going to make crossing difficult, easier to answer the questions, I have no reason to hide where I have been.
That is my view too... although I was a little ticked with them 4 trips ago when my youngest daughter (then 4 years old) and I traveled over entering through Newcastle, they made me go to the back of the line (after I waited in the EU line) because I stood in the EU passport line and my daughter had a US passport. I would have understood if it was my USC husband... the same agent that told us to get into the other line ended up admitting us because the EU line had gone through and all agents where checking the non EU passports to get the line down... I think some of them enjoy the power trip!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
That is my view too... although I was a little ticked with them 4 trips ago when my youngest daughter (then 4 years old) and I traveled over entering through Newcastle, they made me go to the back of the line (after I waited in the EU line) because I stood in the EU passport line and my daughter had a US passport. I would have understood if it was my USC husband... the same agent that told us to get into the other line ended up admitting us because the EU line had gone through and all agents where checking the non EU passports to get the line down... I think some of them enjoy the power trip!
Some certainly do enjoy the power trips for sure. I've flown into the US a couple times with a non-USC with me and while generally it was one line for all, once they were segregating the USC's and non-USC's but the officer said families can go into the same line as the USC even if the others were not.

I know it's not the UK, but good lord sounds like that person was on a major power trip.

Is it that hard to process your child along with you even if it's not the correct line?

I've seen US and Canadian officers send people back to the end for simple mistakes on the forms like missing a checked box instead of just handing them a pen and asking them to check the box.

I forgot to fill in something on a form once, thankfully I had a nice officer who did hand me a pen and just asked me to check the box I missed.

Crossing borders do not need to be nearly as difficult as they tend to be.

Best experience entering a country, Australia, worst was Jamaica.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the US can't question their citizens any more than the UK grill theirs. Customs can search your car but immigration can't force you to tell them where you're been and why as you're covered by the Fifth and Sixth Amendments.
Correct... in theory The US isn't the UK. Trying this out will get you detained. And also given the third degree everywhere else where legally possible.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Correct... in theory The US isn't the UK. Trying this out will get you detained. And also given the third degree everywhere else where legally possible.
I suppose at a land border you have to actually answer some of the questions as there is no written declaration?

I am always through the land borders, most questions directed to me are if I am bringing anything with me that will stay in the US.

They direct all the other questions to my wife generally.

Where do you live, where do you work, how are you related, where are you going, how long are you staying.

I suppose she has to answer those questions and might be why they direct those to her and not me.

Crossing borders is just a pain.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for the U.S, but in the UK, both Customs and Immigration actually hold more powers than the police. Something to bear in mind when you decide not to answer their questions

Last edited by markonline1; Apr 25th 2015 at 7:47 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin works with UK customs and immigration.....like markonline1 says, you do not want to mess with these guys.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always been highly unimpressed.

The TV series makes them look clowns as well.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have always been highly unimpressed.

The TV series makes them look clowns as well.

If your talking about UK immigration, they are, completely. I had loads of rucks with em during my time in the terminal, most of them thinking they were some sort of god rather than an averagely paid civil servant. Nevertheless, the warrant they hold gives them more power than the police. If I remember correctly, those extra powers come in the form of search.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

And then released shortly afterwards as they have no right to question you or hold you.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You Tube is full of such videos.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

And then released shortly afterwards as they have no right to question you or hold you.
Released shortly afterwards, together with most major parts of your completely disassembled car
Old Apr 26th 2015, 1:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markonline1
Can't speak for the U.S, but in the UK, both Customs and Immigration actually hold more powers than the police. Something to bear in mind when you decide not to answer their questions
Same with Canada Customs, they have more power then police do when it comes to searching people and questioning on arrival.

Seeing from what has been shown on Border Protection, the officers have no issue making your entry less then pleasant and going to get the relevant legislation outlining their powers to show people who try and prevent searches from happening.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Released shortly afterwards, together with most major parts of your completely disassembled car
And possibly having trouble when entering countries who share data with the US like Canada. Refusing to answer the questions just makes you look like your hiding something in the eyes of the officers.

I don't want to spend any more time at the border then I need to, way easier to just answer the questions, I am not doing anything exciting, and frankly answering I live in Canada when asked what I am doing there, isn't something I feel I need to hide from them.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

My girlfriend who is American has travelled to the UK a good 10 times in the past few years and she's never had a problem getting into LHR. The only question she ever got asked (other than the standard ones) is how come she's got so much "vacation" time. The UK border person knew that most Americans don't get much vacation and wondered if she was actually really employed.

She has since solved the problem by applying to have her Italian citizenship (she's Italian American) recognised and got her Italian passport last year. We now go through the e-passport lane which when it works is very convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.