Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Which country refuses more visitors, UK or USA?

Which country refuses more visitors, UK or USA?

Old Apr 16th 2015, 1:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which country refuses more visitors, UK or USA?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A visa doesn't guarantee entry - the immigration officer still has the right to refuse entry. I would also expect a number of those refused were travelling on forged or counterfeit documentation.
Nigerians and Pakistanis would travel on forged or counterfeit visas? Are you sure?
Old Apr 16th 2015, 1:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nigerians and Pakistanis would travel on forged or counterfeit visas? Are you sure?
?
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell her if the worst comes to the worst to apply for asylum. I seem to remember at Heathrow at least they provide documentation as to how to do so.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Tell her if the worst comes to the worst to apply for asylum. I seem to remember at Heathrow at least they provide documentation as to how to do so.
This would be a very bad idea!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 12:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General comment: a Visa Waiver refusal of admission does NOT count as a formal "removal."
The statistics mention "returns" though which are roughly the same statistic as refusal of admission, so that seems to correspond with a denial of entry on the VWP. The VWP requires the carrier to return the person, I assume that's what they're referring to.

It's not like in Canada where you can nip home and get some more evidence to show you aren't working in the US, you've got to be put on a plane first.

(Also, the stats on Canadian visitors are total BS because it says in the notes they're only counting people issued I-94s, and Canadians are exempt from getting I-94s, so what that tally is, who knows.)
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 5:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
(Also, the stats on Canadian visitors are total BS because it says in the notes they're only counting people issued I-94s, and Canadians are exempt from getting I-94s, so what that tally is, who knows.)
Canadian PR maybe?
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I almost got sent packing from the USA when I turned up at DFW ready for a longish visit with my then boy-friend (now husband). 21 yrs ago and when asked the purpose of my visit I said "stay with my boyfriend". Should have said "visit"........I was given 3 months to go or get married. I left!!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heyseus
She's flown into England multiple times in the past year (7 times) and has not really had a problem (she was questioned more extensively last week, but nothing severe).

It seems highly unlikely to me that she wouldn't be let in, just as it seems unlikely to her that I wouldn't pass US border control.
The trip before last that I took to the UK, entering thru the UK/euro line with a British passport (I was born in the UK) I was question more than I ever have been before...'where do you live, where are you going, how long will you be here, do you plan on staying, where do you work, do you have family, where do they reside'.

My last trip, I was asked for my passport and nothing more.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There used to be signs up at one point. I used to pick up a couple a month when I worked in the terminals. You could spot em a mile off. They knew 4 words. No speak English and asylum. We had one guy climb out of a wheel well of a private 747 that had parked on the royal suite. Did he end up spread eagled on the floor surrounded by cops pointing their MP5's at him? Nope. He sat on the Tarmac whilst someone went into the suite to get him a cup of tea and some sandwiches LOL.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The trip before last that I took to the UK, entering thru the UK/euro line with a British passport (I was born in the UK) I was question more than I ever have been before...'where do you live, where are you going, how long will you be here, do you plan on staying, where do you work, do you have family, where do they reside'.

None of their business. You're a British citizen. Which airport was this?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

The last 4 trips I have flown into Newcastle... I was surprised at the questions when I went on Feb this year they just asked to see my passport nothing more.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs P got exactly the same sort of grilling reentering the US after our honeymoon. She is a born USC who lived in the US her entire life up to that point, and returned to the US to get her visa to live in the UK (back in the day when applications were turned around overnight ). She was given the third degree by the immigration officer at CLT, about where she had been and where she was going.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:53 pm

The last 4 trips I have flown into Newcastle... I was surprised at the questions when I went on Feb this year they just asked to see my passport nothing more.
It does seem to be the smaller airports. Another poster had the same experience at Bristol. The best of what left after London airports takes their pick presumably. You don't need to answer those types of questions if you're a British citizen with a valid passport. You have Right of Abode in the UK and unless there are doubts as to your identity or your genuineness of your passport then they shouldn't be asking you any questions.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mrs P got exactly the same sort of grilling reentering the US after our honeymoon. She is a born USC who lived in the US her entire life up to that point, and returned to the US to get her visa to live in the UK (back in the day when applications were turned around overnight ). She was given the third degree by the immigration officer at CLT, about where she had been and where she was going.
When I first moved to Canada, going back into the US was a royal pain in the rear end. It was the 3rd degree, I'd be lucky if I could get through without having to spend 1/2 hour answering questions while they searched the car.

Now after 10 years, I am lucky if they even ask me a question, they seem to know from their computer I live in Canada, but they will ask my wife a handful of questions.

The US can question USC's as far as I know as much as they desire, they can't deny a USC entry, but questioning they can do. I don't beleive there is any rule that says they can't in the US.

Canada is the same, can't deny citizens and lawful residents, but they can question you all day long, customs tends to be a legal grey area, the same protections you'd have from police at home, don't always apply at a port of entry/border crossing. (US and Canada)
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When I first moved to Canada, going back into the US was a royal pain in the rear end. It was the 3rd degree, I'd be lucky if I could get through without having to spend 1/2 hour answering questions while they searched the car.

Now after 10 years, I am lucky if they even ask me a question, they seem to know from their computer I live in Canada, but they will ask my wife a handful of questions.

The US can question USC's as far as I know as much as they desire, they can't deny a USC entry, but questioning they can do. I don't beleive there is any rule that says they can't in the US.

Canada is the same, can't deny citizens and lawful residents, but they can question you all day long, customs tends to be a legal grey area, the same protections you'd have from police at home, don't always apply at a port of entry/border crossing. (US and Canada)
Actually the US can't question their citizens any more than the UK grill theirs. Customs can search your car but immigration can't force you to tell them where you're been and why as you're covered by the Fifth and Sixth Amendments. They can't deport you either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.