Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is a Costco membership worth it?

Is a Costco membership worth it?

Old Apr 19th 2015, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a Costco membership worth it?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
To be honest, its not just electronics they have a limited range on - most things are pretty restricted. We bought suitcases there today - there were 3 different sets to choose from. We also bought a mixer/blender thing - only 1 choice! I noticed they had 1 of those barrel composters, and maybe 3 or 4 different vacuum cleaners tops. The range of goods available in some categories changes very quickly as well - there's not a lot of "think about it and come back next week" as often, they are no longer selling the same thing next week!
A lot of that will depend on the manager of that particular store and what he gets in. I know my local Costco gets prime cuts of beef, the one across town does not.

Take care with electronics at Costco. Sometimes they are weird models exclusive to Costco. I think a lot of big box stores do that now to avoid price comparisons (oh no, that's a different model no...).
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
A lot of that will depend on the manager of that particular store and what he gets in. I know my local Costco gets prime cuts of beef, the one across town does not.

Take care with electronics at Costco. Sometimes they are weird models exclusive to Costco. I think a lot of big box stores do that now to avoid price comparisons (oh no, that's a different model no...).
Wal-Mart does that with electronics as well, and generally the quality of say a computer from Wal-Mart won't on par with the same brand from another retailer.

But Wal-Mart only does returns for like 10 days for electronics then its the manufacturer warranty to deal with.

Our TV is from Wal-Mart and it's an LG but the model number cannot for the life of me be found anywhere online including the LG website, seems to be a unique model to Wal-mart.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wal-Mart does that with electronics as well, and generally the quality of say a computer from Wal-Mart won't on par with the same brand from another retailer.

But Wal-Mart only does returns for like 10 days for electronics then its the manufacturer warranty to deal with.

Our TV is from Wal-Mart and it's an LG but the model number cannot for the life of me be found anywhere online including the LG website, seems to be a unique model to Wal-mart.
I was researching TVs a couple of years ago and noticed that all Walmart's TVs were 60Hz when most TVs sold by others were 120Hz or 240HZ. The cost saving at Walmart was minimal - no more than 10%, tops.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was researching TVs a couple of years ago and noticed that all Walmart's TVs were 60Hz when most TVs sold by others were 120Hz or 240HZ. The cost saving at Walmart was minimal - no more than 10%, tops.
I never found Wal-Mart electronics to be much cheaper if any then other stores. We only got ours there as they are 1 of 2 stores with electronics in town the other being a drug store, but they concentrate mostly the high end TV/Computers and Wal-Mart on the lower end.

Ours was previous years model still in box brand new and 40% off the previous price, so was a decent deal.