Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The cost of dying in the USA. $618,616

The cost of dying in the USA. $618,616

Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of dying in the USA. $618,616

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Right so that's why there's an emerging states' rights movement?
Are they going to fly planes into buildings?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:50 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
More likely they'll dump some sweet tea into a harbour somewhere.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
More likely they'll dump some sweet tea into a harbour somewhere.
Good, I hate sweet tea hahaha
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

You're obsessed with big big government ain't cha
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You're obsessed with big big government ain't cha
Nope! I'm much more interested in how poor people can be manipulated to shoot themselves in the foot.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Nope! I'm much more interested in how poor people can be manipulated to shoot themselves in the foot.
well it's doable as long as they have guns.............

Thought we'd get a two-fer out of this.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The confederates lost.
I don't think they know that.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:06 pm
Sursum corda

That I'm ok with, I don't want the federal government to be too powerful anyway and I'm a states' rights person. Good thing is if Pennsylvania were to ever implement this, I don't think it'll be a bad thing, my state has a pretty decent track record of running things
Uniformity Chris, uniformity. E pluribus unum.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

"The road to hell is always pave with good intentions"
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:10 pm
Septicity

"The road to hell is always pave with good intentions"
Waving a cross and flying a flag was what came to my mind. But there you go.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:11 pm
Sursum corda

Waving a cross and flying a flag was what came to my mind. But there you go.
Enter the Crusades. Oh wait, that's been done already.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mallory
It's a case of two different systems, where you can grasp at straws and pay for it in the US, or you can be denied the treatment and die sooner in the UK.

Obviously, no system is great - it depends on whether you are the unlucky person to have kidney cancer. Life is a beach sometimes.
You can pay for it in the UK too - no-one is stopping you.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Nobody in Britain can tell you that you can't have it. You always have the option of, for example, coming to America to get it.

Americans generally don't have the option of moving to England to stop them going bankrupt when their nearest and dearest gets cancer, though.
Don't even need to move to the US http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7706921.stm

Most people don't realise that in the UK you can have exactly the same choices that you have in the US - its just that you need to pay for the non-covered options yourself. Exactly the same as it is here in the US. In the UK you can still take our private medical insurance to top up your NHS coverage but very few do.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Uniformity Chris, uniformity. E pluribus unum.
Canada's system is devolved and working fine for them from what I can see

Don't some places here have public hospitals? I believe CA does, and NYC, and other places that have a county-run system. unfortunately though the insurance is still private

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Mar 8th 2010 at 9:18 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well technically, the US Government itself does not provide services under Medicare. Medicare is administered by the states directly, in cooperation with a private health insurer. That's why Medicare is legal because the federal government doesn't directly have a hand in it, it passes that on to the states.
You're thinking of Medicaid, where there are different eligibility rules and covered services in each state. I don't believe there is any state government involvement in Medicare:- it's a largely single-payer system funded by the _federal_ Medicare tax. As you allude to, individuals may additionally take out private insurance to top-up their Medicare benefits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.