Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Originally Posted by 100weight
Coming back to the high medical bills problem. I was just wondering what would happen if you were in an accident and they rush you to the ER to pull your leg out of your shoulder. They then pull the other leg and slap you with a $50k bill. The hospital can't deny you treatment, and if you're out cold, you can't tell them to leave your leg in your shoulder because you have no insurance.

So how would they make you pay that bill? Especially if you're already living below the bread line.

CWT
You file bankruptcy. If it is a county hospital, they'll take whatever they can get but usually not more than about 10% and write the rest off as paid in full.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Michael
You file bankruptcy. If it is a county hospital, they'll take whatever they can get but usually not more than about 10% and write the rest off as paid in full.
Thanks, good to know.

CWT
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good to know.

CWT
And the bankruptcy will stay on your credit record for 10 years, making it virtually impossible for you to get any credit.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good to know.

CWT
With a county hospital, you can sometimes ask in advance by telling them that you don't have insurance and ask what percentage they would charge if you became hospitalized to be considered paid in full.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:01 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

With a county hospital, you can sometimes ask in advance by telling them that you don't have insurance and ask what percentage they would charge if you became hospitalized to be considered paid in full.
And then you get to use all your disposable income to pay that bill.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And then you get to use all your disposable income to pay that bill.
Some self employed people with large salaries don't like to pay for health insurance and save a lot of money in premiums and take their chances by checking out policies at county hospitals. A $100,000 hospital bill reduced to $10,000 will pay a lot of premiums. Even young healthy people that can get insurance for about $100-$200 per month have an aversion to pay for health insurance but will purchase a muscle car with very expensive car insurance.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 18th 2013 at 3:16 am.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:13 am

Some people with large salaries don't like to pay for health insurance and save a lot of money in premiums and take their chances by checking out policies at county hospitals.
And some companies self insure.

However, the problem is for the ordinary working person, not the wealthy who could buy what they like.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 3:30 am

Some self employed people with large salaries don't like to pay for health insurance and save a lot of money in premiums and take their chances by checking out policies at county hospitals. A $100,000 hospital bill reduced to $10,000 will pay a lot of premiums. Even young healthy people that can get insurance for about $100-$200 per month have an aversion to pay for health insurance but will purchase a muscle car with very expensive car insurance.
And, to your subsequent edit, I find it unethical that a wealthy person would negotiate down a bill from a fund-strapped country hospital that needs those funds to support those who are uninsured but not by choice.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And, to your subsequent edit, I find it unethical that a wealthy person would negotiate down a bill from a fund-strapped country hospital that needs those funds to support those who are uninsured but not by choice.
That is one reason why we need health care reform. The poor (family incomes below 125% of the poverty level) get free Medicaid, moderate income families get subsidies, and anyone that can afford it has to pay.

That system has worked well in Switzerland and Massachusetts but both are fairly costly.

Now if changes could be made to become a single payer system, negotiate the price of drugs, and eliminate reimbursements by the insurance companies and/or the government for treatment that is deemed ineffective during end of life, US health care costs should come into a similar cost structure as Europe. People can't still demand ineffective or unproven end of life treatment but they will have to pay for it themselves.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 18th 2013 at 4:20 am.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Coming back to the high medical bills problem. I was just wondering what would happen if you were in an accident and they rush you to the ER to pull your leg out of your shoulder. They then pull the other leg and slap you with a $50k bill. The hospital can't deny you treatment, and if you're out cold, you can't tell them to leave your leg in your shoulder because you have no insurance.

So how would they make you pay that bill? Especially if you're already living below the bread line.

CWT
Also depends on how much you own. If you don't have a pot to piss in, then you really don't have too many worries. But if you're a homeowner, I do believe in some (most?) states the hospital can put a lien on your home or even force you to sell it. Not a good situation to be in..and not very fair.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:19 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

That is not the case in the UK. The poor and average have the NHS and the rich have private health insurance. Same with Canada with the rich coming across the border when the wait is too long.
Someone can correct me, but I believe that the difference is that doctors in the UK work for both the NHS and in private practice, simultaneously. You get the same doctors, it's just that the insurance just provides you with nicer wallpaper and perhaps somewhat faster access. The concept of the network doesn't really exist there, as it does here.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:23 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Also depends on how much you own. If you don't have a pot to piss in, then you really don't have too many worries. But if you're a homeowner, I do believe in some (most?) states the hospital can put a lien on your home or even force you to sell it. Not a good situation to be in..and not very fair.
Yep. They'll do a credit check and try to figure out what you can pay. They'll try to work out a payment plan if necessary, probably with the goal of getting the bill paid over two years time.

A lower-income person will have their bill sold off to collections, and their credit (if they had any) will be ruined. A homeowner with equity is probably going to have less leverage, although someone with cash can probably still haggle.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm getting ready to have gallbladder surgery this week (it's supposed to be laparoscopic ) Not sure what my surgery will cost for an uncomplicated outpatient gallbladder removal, but if my insurance website can be believed, around $25k! Once the deductible is met, our insurance covers 90%...

Hopefully I'll be in the UK on vacation once the bills start streaming in...
When I had mine out 5 years ago (supposed to be a day surgery in & out but turn out to be more complicated) I was in for a week and had to have 4 different procedures, after the bills totaled around $90,000 my out of pocket was $1500.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Someone can correct me, but I believe that the difference is that doctors in the UK work for both the NHS and in private practice, simultaneously. You get the same doctors, it's just that the insurance just provides you with nicer wallpaper and perhaps somewhat faster access. The concept of the network doesn't really exist there, as it does here.
I think that is correct unless the doctor has retired from the NHS. A consultant I knew said his NHS work was his bread and butter...the private work was the jam.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Correct. This was exactly my father's experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.