Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost of an Accidental Fall

Originally Posted by Michael
Same here for Brits for telling how the American system works.
But we are living here aren't we...living the so called 'dream'? We have first hand experience of the US healthcare system.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

That is not the case in the UK. The poor and average have the NHS and the rich have private health insurance. Same with Canada with the rich coming across the border when the wait is too long.

If my Dad had been wealthy (and had private health insurance) he would have still been taken to the NHS emergency room. It is also extremelly likely he would have still had the operation at an NHS hospital.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

It was a Sunday afternoon and we'd been viewing an open house.
Is an Open House a cocktail?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

If my Dad had been wealthy (and had private health insurance) he would have still been taken to the NHS emergency room. It is also extremelly likely he would have still had the operation at an NHS hospital.
Obviously didn't know that private hospitals in the UK don't usually accept emergencies.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Is an Open House a cocktail?
And a good one too, apparently,since all you have to do is look at it and you fall over.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

That is not the case in the UK. The poor and average have the NHS and the rich have private health insurance. Same with Canada with the rich coming across the border when the wait is too long.
I have private health insurance cover in addition to the universal coverage afforded to me through the NHS system, but no way do I consider myself "rich" - reasonably well paid, yes, in a job I very much enjoy doing, with long term prospects for a good pension when the time comes about 35 years from now, even though I am contributing towards it on a monthly basis, as I do towards my free at the point of issue when needed NHS care through my monthly NIC deductions from my salary, which is all I have to do to avail myself of its universal services....as a UK resident.

But I have not, as yet anyway, taken advantage of my private healthcare insurance and only once have I had to make use of the NHS for treatment - a broken collar bone due to injury playing rugby when I was 19...three days in hospital, and three after care visits to A & E (Edinburgh)....all for "free", and the quality of care and attention I received from all medical staff was just..well, just bloody fantastic, really. Maybe I was just lucky, and lucky to be fit and well at the age of 31.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And a good one too, apparently,since all you have to do is look at it and you fall over.
It was because the house had low ceilings.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Spread eagling optional.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Was it in a poorer area?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:56 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Those musculature contractions are the worst, aren't they.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Those musculature contractions are the worst, aren't they.
I was just about to refer to musculature contractions in my reply to Sally...but you beat me to it.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I have private health insurance cover in addition to the universal coverage afforded to me through the NHS system, but no way do I consider myself "rich" - reasonably well paid, yes, in a job I very much enjoy doing, with long term prospects for a good pension when the time comes about 35 years from now, even though I am contributing towards it on a monthly basis, as I do towards my free at the point of issue when needed NHS care through my monthly NIC deductions from my salary, which is all I have to do to avail myself of its universal services....as a UK resident.

Exactly.

My father paid into BUPA for a long time - and he wasn't rich either, just a normal business executive in Croyden, not a high flyer. When he needed hospital care towards the end of his life, he used his BUPA money to pay for a private room in very nice facilities - but ALL the doctors, consultants, lab people etc were all NHS people too, they just worked at this hospital as well, ie you get exactly the same medical care, just in different surroundings.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

But I have not, as yet anyway, taken advantage of my private healthcare insurance and only once have I had to make use of the NHS for treatment - a broken collar bone due to injury playing rugby when I was 19...three days in hospital, and three after care visits to A & E (Edinburgh)....all for "free", and the quality of care and attention I received from all medical staff was just..well, just bloody fantastic, really. Maybe I was just lucky, and lucky to be fit and well at the age of 31.
Good point...that private medical care is not only for the rich. I also had BUPA insurance with my job.

Even with private medical care you still have to go through your GP for a referral...unless that's changed since I lived in the UK.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
Let me add another data point: I crashed my bike last year and broke an elbow. Drive to urgent care and then to ER, X-rays, simple surgery and four days in hospital (wound + fracture = "open fracture"). $45k before "adjustments" etc...

All my bikes now have brakes the same way around.
Ah yes! I've lived here for twenty three years but my bikes all have the brakes set up the English way, just to keep it simple!!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Coming back to the high medical bills problem. I was just wondering what would happen if you were in an accident and they rush you to the ER to pull your leg out of your shoulder. They then pull the other leg and slap you with a $50k bill. The hospital can't deny you treatment, and if you're out cold, you can't tell them to leave your leg in your shoulder because you have no insurance.

So how would they make you pay that bill? Especially if you're already living below the bread line.

CWT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.