British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   converting dollars to pounds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/converting-dollars-pounds-645111/)

JimDavid1972 Jan 6th 2010 1:59 pm

Re: converting dollars to pounds

Yeah i guess that had to be done... for anyone else... make sure you do it in advance!

aes1 Jan 21st 2010 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyG (Post 8220343)
Yes.

I had to do it there & then that day..........probably paid more than I should have.

Just read this and wondering who you used that charged that much? Anyone know who is the cheapest for fees??

johnh009 Jan 21st 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8270669)
Just read this and wondering who you used that charged that much? Anyone know who is the cheapest for fees??

As mentioned, use these people, they are currently charging no fees whatsoever:

www.currencyonline.com

aes1 Jan 21st 2010 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8270858)

www.currencyonline.com

Thanks, I actually just opened an account with them, but haven't made any transactions yet.

aes1 Jan 22nd 2010 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8270858)

www.currencyonline.com

What is the difference between currencyonline and HiFx for making transfers??

johnh009 Jan 22nd 2010 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8272718)
What is the difference between currencyonline and HiFx for making transfers??

Currencyonline is part of the HiFX group. I know that when you contact HiFX in Canada, they refer you to Currencyonline. Maybe they handle the North American side of the business. It is operated in conjunction with the Bank of New Zealand. I have used them numerous times, they are very helpful (with a freephone number to NZ) and efficient. Your money always appears in your desitination account the day after they recieve it. They are charging no transfer fees at the moment and their rates are competitive. You only have to pay the cost of wiring your money to them.

HiFX have a Vendor Forum on this site. "Windsor2" (Mark Bodega) is a UK HiFX director so you can maybe direct any questions or concerns you have to him if no one else can help.

aes1 Jan 22nd 2010 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8272928)
Currencyonline is part of the HiFX group. I know that when you contact HiFX in Canada, they refer you to Currencyonline. Maybe they handle the North American side of the business. It is operated in conjunction with the Bank of New Zealand. I have used them numerous times, they are very helpful (with a freephone number to NZ) and efficient. Your money always appears in your desitination account the day after they recieve it. They are charging no transfer fees at the moment and their rates are competitive. You only have to pay the cost of wiring your money to them.

HiFX have a Vendor Forum on this site. "Windsor2" (Mark Bodega) is a UK HiFX director so you can maybe direct any questions or concerns you have to him if no one else can help.

Thanks for the info, I think you are right, Currencyonline being the NA side of HiFX. Do you know how long they are not charging for transfer fees? Does it depend on the amount?

johnh009 Jan 23rd 2010 2:40 am

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8273092)
Thanks for the info, I think you are right, Currencyonline being the NA side of HiFX. Do you know how long they are not charging for transfer fees? Does it depend on the amount?

Sorry, I have no idea how long their offer lasts, I suppose it will be as long as the economic climate is in the Doldrums, which could be a long time. If you email them, they will send you a freephone number and can can discuss any concerns you may have. I found them quite helpful. I could send you my Canadian freephone mumber but it is different from the US. Try emailing them at:

[email protected]

aes1 Jan 23rd 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8274349)
Sorry, I have no idea how long their offer lasts, I suppose it will be as long as the economic climate is in the Doldrums, which could be a long time. If you email them, they will send you a freephone number and can can discuss any concerns you may have. I found them quite helpful. I could send you my Canadian freephone mumber but it is different from the US. Try emailing them at:

[email protected]

Thanks, will do.

aes1 Jan 24th 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8274349)

[email protected]

I had an email back from currencyonline. The offer is unlimited, any transfer over US$5000 is free, under that it costs $5.

johnh009 Jan 25th 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8278235)
I had an email back from currencyonline. The offer is unlimited, any transfer over US$5000 is free, under that it costs $5.

That's good and they are quite an efficient outfit to deal with. My loot is always in my destination account the day after they receive it.

Off topic, but as mentioned in another thread, I see that rightmove.co.uk have over 2000 properties advertised in Malta. It would seem that the south coast is cheaper than the north coast.

aes1 Jan 26th 2010 12:29 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 8281833)
That's good and they are quite an efficient outfit to deal with. My loot is always in my destination account the day after they receive it.

Off topic, but as mentioned in another thread, I see that rightmove.co.uk have over 2000 properties advertised in Malta. It would seem that the south coast is cheaper than the north coast.

I think there is more of a difference if you are looking to buy, not so much in rentals. I go to www.franksalt.com.mt/ Have you been to Malta? I haven't but I want to give it a try.