Reload this Page >

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Consequences of the UK leaving Europe

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Come on Pulaski, have you not read anything I've posted today?

Merits of in and out are a bit moot now, don't you think? This thread is about the consequences of the UK leaving Europe. A part of that for me is concern about my pension. Other consequences are being well covered by others.
Another consequence for my family is my son's education in Europe. All sorts of things which may be personal to me but are also applicable to a much wider population.
There are winners and losers in any situation. Do not believe any UK national would be banned from attending Uni elsewhere. And obviously EU and Europe are not one and the same.

If we are talking about any Government paid benefit long term then you have reason to be concerned, but that is not a Brexit issue.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 12:11 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
if Hillary wins and packs the Supreme Court - as she will and she will - we are well on our way to becoming a one-party authoritarian state.
It's hilarious that you make hyperbolic dogmatic wretchedly dumb comments like that and then expect to be taken seriously.

< snip > I have no idea what you're trying to prove much of the time.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2016 at 4:17 am. Reason: Address the point not the person please. Hit 'ignore' rather than abuse.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 12:15 am
Account Closed

It is a fair comment, many people I know have expressed the same thought, that if Crooked gets in with appointments coming up it is seriously bad news.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 1:13 am
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Why?
A. It's not working so well in the US, and if Hillary wins and packs the Supreme Court - as she will and she will - we are well on our way to becoming a one-party authoritarian state.

B. In our country you only have to Press 1 for English or Press 2 for Spanish. There aren't enough buttons on your phones to cover all the languages and cultures in Europe - and that's before the migrants flooded in and added Arabic, Farsi, Pashto and Dari to the mix.

Now...there was a chance for a mega state of Europe, back in 1939 - 1942, however not so many folks liked it much at the time. But times have changed and a close majority are total wusses. Germany is ready with a kinder, gentler version of the mega state. Your liberties and your sovereignty are for sale - real cheap - just a slight bump in your pensions and a little reassurance that everything will be OK should do the trick.
this was a reasonably adult conversation until this came along
Old Jun 27th 2016, 1:14 am
Banned

katzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond reputekatzgar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is a fair comment, many people I know have expressed the same thought, that if Crooked gets in with appointments coming up it is seriously bad news.

no it isnt a fair comment, not even close
Old Jun 27th 2016, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Current chief justice Roberts is pretty good proof you can pick a guy you think will do your bidding only to find that pesky separation of powers thing actually works.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 2:24 am
Account Closed

There are I understand quite a few appointments coming up, so it could be an issue for a generation.

I would prefer an independent court but not how it works.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Am I the only one who is a little bit sad that the sovereignty of a nation can be bought so cheaply.
Im pretty sure that the UK has always been a fully independant sovreign state.

If the EU had remained what it was sold as this would not be an issue.

Very few people want an EU mega state.

Will the EU reform? I doubt it, if t does not then UK will be first of many.
As someone that voted to remain, I do agree that a United States of Europe was not something I wanted to see.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 3:46 am
Account Closed

I was thinking when walking the dog, OK I do not like what the EU has become and remain convinced that it like all other previous dynasties will eventually fall, surprised it has lasted this long.

But the way things are going it is going to get very messy, much more than it should. Politics and egos etc.

But then my Parents went through WW2, My Grandparents also through WW1, so relative to those situations this looks minor. I remember the 3 day week, was that not far worse?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 3:54 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking when walking the dog, OK I do not like what the EU has become and remain convinced that it like all other previous dynasties will eventually fall, surprised it has lasted this long.

But the way things are going it is going to get very messy, much more than it should. Politics and egos etc.

But then my Parents went through WW2, My Grandparents also through WW1, so relative to those situations this looks minor. I remember the 3 day week, was that not far worse?
In the same situation as you with respect to your last para.

I worry a bit about the economic impact, and it may well not be pretty. I worry more about the breakup of the UK (happy 90th, Queen E), and about what kind of a country we are becoming when views that would never have been given a platform before are now on the national stage. I remember the NF marches in England, but they were considered beyond the pale by everyone else. It's depressing, but it also makes me want to go home and help deal with it somehow.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 3:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Never mind the merits of 'in' and 'out', just gimme my damn pension."

Am I the only one who is a little bit sad that the sovereignty of a nation can be bought so cheaply.
Who are you to say that someone doesn't need their retirement income or that it constitutes "selling" their country?

You may be comfortably off and your retirement not at risk, but others are not so lucky.

I thought this referendum was won "for the ordinary person"?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
In the same situation as you with respect to your last para.

I worry a bit about the economic impact, and it may well not be pretty. I worry more about the breakup of the UK (happy 90th, Queen E), and about what kind of a country we are becoming when views that would never have been given a platform before are now on the national stage. I remember the NF marches in England, but they were considered beyond the pale by everyone else. It's depressing, but it also makes me want to go home and help deal with it somehow.
I am old enough to remember non from DeGaulle onwards, and find the whole thing has just been a long time coming over many decades.

My basic view is that the EU is not an organisation for all seasons, only good times, people joined for what they thought they could get out of it, never set up for bad times. Very difficult to defend when the warts and all are so visible.

Lots of things will be overlooked if the general direction is positive.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It appears from the news media that there was not any real plan made in the event of the leave vote winning. That is a big concern, more than just the leave aspect. It appears to be a ship with no one at the helm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mrken30
It appears from the news media that there was not any real plan made in the event of the leave vote winning. That is a big concern, more than just the leave aspect. It appears to be a ship with no one at the helm.
Labour in meltdown

Seems that there is no majority to recognise the vote in Parliament.

No plans

No Prime Minister

I thought there was always a contingent plan?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Who are you to say that someone doesn't need their retirement income or that it constitutes "selling" their country?

You may be comfortably off and your retirement not at risk, but others are not so lucky.

I thought this referendum was won "for the ordinary person"?
Freedom isn't free. There's a price to be paid. Lucky it's not in blood and guts. However if the political establishment tries to ignore the vote, payment might be in blood and guts.

The same may happen here if the Globalist Hillary tries to impose a globalist agenda with more phony trade agreements, doesn't try to resolve the border crisis, etc.

We either solve our problems politically or you have a civil war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.