Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Condo Building Collapse in Miami

Condo Building Collapse in Miami

Old Jul 6th 2021, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Condo Building Collapse in Miami

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought they were given a certain timeframe to evacuate. Shortly after we bought out condo in Toronto, the fire alarm went off. I put a dog under each arm, picked up my handbag and legged it down the fire escape staircase.
When half or more of your condo building has collapsed, I somehow doubt you hang around even for a nanosecond.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would hope people took their pets with them.
Some may simply not been at home when it occurred and unable to get to their pets. Same thing happens with wildfires, fires start when people are at work, then the authorities close off the area as its not safe and people simply cannot get back to their homes to get their pets.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Did I hear that the govt. has declared a disaster area? If so, there may be some financial remedy there.

I was looking at a condo in California a few years ago and the HOA was excluding responsibility for things like decks, even though they are 'outside'. Decks in California (and presumably in Florida!) are key sources of trouble due to wood rot. Obviously this does not apply to a high-rise, which would presumably employ concrete/steel patio / decks, but in low-rise (2-3 story) condos, the decks are typically wooden and very often rot out, and have been a huge source of expense for HOAs so they try to avoid responsibility. Another issue I pursued on a potential purchase was 'consequential damage' (I think that's the term). So - roof leaks, which is the responsibility of the HOA, but if that leak causes damage to your flooring, who's responsible for that? In my view, since it was the roof leak that was the root cause, subsequent consequential damage to the interior flooring should also lie with the HOA but I was told this was not the case. Sounded like a lawsuit to me!

The trouble is, when you buy a place, you are so tempted to overlook all these exclusions because you fall in love with the place.

Here in BC stratas (our version of HOA) love to always remind people the balconies are exclusive use common areas, when they get mad that you have one too many plants or the chair color is the wrong color, or you have a bike on it, insert whatever petty thing they come up with.

The law could also force stratas to accept liability and responsibility for balconies, which is fair considering the owner of a unit can't just about fixing and doing whatever to the patios/balconies, some new buildings they completely leave out a balcony, I assume to cut cost on both building and maintaining. .
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Some may simply not been at home when it occurred and unable to get to their pets. Same thing happens with wildfires, fires start when people are at work, then the authorities close off the area as its not safe and people simply cannot get back to their homes to get their pets.

Here in BC stratas (our version of HOA) love to always remind people the balconies are exclusive use common areas, when they get mad that you have one too many plants or the chair color is the wrong color, or you have a bike on it, insert whatever petty thing they come up with.

The law could also force stratas to accept liability and responsibility for balconies, which is fair considering the owner of a unit can't just about fixing and doing whatever to the patios/balconies, some new buildings they completely leave out a balcony, I assume to cut cost on both building and maintaining. .
Exclusive use common areas are a maintenance headache for HOAs by virtue of the fact that they're not easily accessible to the HOA in the manner that shared space such as garages, vestibules, roadways etc. are. So you get people doing stuff that directly affects maintenance, like having planters that continually seep water onto balcony floors. If you expect that HOA to fix problems to such areas, it's perfectly reasonable for the HOA to impose sensible rules about their usage. That was always a contentious issue in the first condo building I lived in.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
When half or more of your condo building has collapsed, I somehow doubt you hang around even for a nanosecond.
I'd bet good money that you could find dozens of residents of that building who were chomping at the bit to get back inside; some for pets, others for personal belongings.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Exclusive use common areas are a maintenance headache for HOAs by virtue of the fact that they're not easily accessible to the HOA in the manner that shared space such as garages, vestibules, roadways etc. are. So you get people doing stuff that directly affects maintenance, like having planters that continually seep water onto balcony floors. If you expect that HOA to fix problems to such areas, it's perfectly reasonable for the HOA to impose reasonable rules about their usage. That was always a contentious issue in the first condo building I lived in.
Yeah it's why I hated renting in condo buildings, dedicated rentals don't generally care since they can just give 24 hours notice to enter, where I imagine its more difficult for owner occupied units, strata can't give notice of entry to a renter either, has to come from the tenants landlord, renting in condo buildings is complicated.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'd bet good money that you could find dozens of residents of that building who were chomping at the bit to get back inside; some for pets, others for personal belongings.
Probably, but if the city let them back in and the building collapsed further, the city would get sued...

One of the first things I noticed on pictures was marking that has been made on outside walls both to red tag each unit and to mark them as searched.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Exclusive use common areas are a maintenance headache for HOAs by virtue of the fact that they're not easily accessible to the HOA in the manner that shared space such as garages, vestibules, roadways etc. are. So you get people doing stuff that directly affects maintenance, like having planters that continually seep water onto balcony floors. If you expect that HOA to fix problems to such areas, it's perfectly reasonable for the HOA to impose sensible rules about their usage. That was always a contentious issue in the first condo building I lived in.
Our last house had a beautiful big deck. We put tons of big planters out there, and even hooked up irrigation to water them all. About 10 years later, we had to spend over $40k to replace the deck due to wood rot! The deck was 40' up in the air so required a ton of scary scaffolding. The scaffolding alone was over $10k. After that - we never put a single plant out there. Now, when I look at condos, I am extremely wary of decks!
Old Jul 7th 2021, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

46 bodies have now been found.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 4:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

One of the first things I noticed on pictures was marking that has been made on outside walls both to red tag each unit and to mark them as searched.
Standard urban search and rescue methods and does state the unit/house /building has been searched and assessed for the living and for hazards. In NZ MRBEVS and the team use an orange square.

Each area will have been checked in several ways before anything further re demolition happened. Same is done here.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit bemused by that report - dunno where it was or how many - of people who had been located somewhere else who hadn't been in the building at the time.

Maybe I misread or misheard it but I had the impression they had been found whereas I'd have expected them to have come forward themselves to say they were not there.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was a bit bemused by that report - dunno where it was or how many - of people who had been located somewhere else who hadn't been in the building at the time.

Maybe I misread or misheard it but I had the impression they had been found whereas I'd have expected them to have come forward themselves to say they were not there.
This kind of thing seems to happen after every disaster of this and similar natures. I suspect this one is more complex because some of the "missing" don't live permanently in the US. The death toll is now at 94, with 22 "potentially unaccounted for".
Old Jul 12th 2021, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some Structural Engineers on YouTube who have discussed potential issues, how it happened etc.

Seems a combination of factors, some design, some construction but mainly maintenance. The photos show clear signs of concrete spalling no doubt cause by the re bar rusting. When it becomes that obvious usually there is much worse hidden.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This kind of thing seems to happen after every disaster of this and similar natures. I suspect this one is more complex because some of the "missing" don't live permanently in the US.
Yeah that's what I was getting at. Daily reports of missing people - potential residents buried under rubble. You'd think people who weren't actually there would either hear/see it on the news or have someone say "Hey Jack, wasn't that your building in Miami that collapsed?" and let someone know they were okay.

You know, you take a trip to London you hear reports a bomb went off somewhere and immediately call home to tell people you weren't there.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jul 14th 2021, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Two interesting things in that video and a related one by the same guy that talks through the video, taken by a passerby shortly before the collapse, of the garage ramp which shows debris/broken pipes. Firstly, the planter boxes located by each of the three columns that likely failed first. Steerpike and I talked earlier in the thread about how planters can cause rotting issues on decks, but it would be horrific and scary if it turns out 40 years of water intrusion from these planters was a factor in the corrosion of these columns. Secondly, the fact that the concrete garage floor in the area of one (?) of these pillars looks like it was replaced at some point. The question is, why was it replaced?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 14th 2021 at 4:21 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.