Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Condo Building Collapse in Miami

Condo Building Collapse in Miami

Old Jul 5th 2021, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Condo Building Collapse in Miami

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Does typical condo insurance cover things like a building collapsing for the unit owners?
Each individual condo will have insurance for the unit itself and the HOA will have insurance for the common areas of the building, which typically means everything outside a unit. So it will depend what the HOA insured themselves for. But my guess is that it won't cover anything like the total expenses of a collapse like this. That's why you're already seeing lawsuits flying - against the HOA board, the city of Surfside and, I expect, the building that was recently constructed next door that was purported to cause vibrations of the now collapsed tower. I read both the architect and developer are now dead so that presumably rules out suits in that direction. Plus, statutes of limitations have presumably expired since the time of the original construction. All this probably means a guaranteed legal shit-show.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Each individual condo will have insurance for the unit itself and the HOA will have insurance for the common areas of the building, which typically means everything outside a unit. So it will depend what the HOA insured themselves for. But my guess is that it won't cover anything like the total expenses of a collapse like this. That's why you're already seeing lawsuits flying - against the HOA board, the city of Surfside and, I expect, the building that was recently constructed next door that was purported to cause vibrations of the now collapsed tower. I read both the architect and developer are now dead so that presumably rules out suits in that direction. Plus, statutes of limitations have presumably expired since the time of the original construction. All this probably means a guaranteed legal shit-show.
Yes it will be a who knows how many years long legal battle/s over this.

I just don't know how insurance works for owners of condos, as a renter we only insure contents, but I do wonder looking over our policy there is a vague section about catastrophic events and exclusions but who knows, insurance documents require a legal degree to understand.

Old Jul 5th 2021, 3:06 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes it will be a who knows how many years long legal battle/s over this.

I just don't know how insurance works for owners of condos, as a renter we only insure contents, but I do wonder looking over our policy there is a vague section about catastrophic events and exclusions but who knows, insurance documents require a legal degree to understand.
Condo owners are responsible to insure everything up to the drywall. Including their possessions and contents of the condo (If they can get insurance) We could not on the ground floor of our condo.
HOA is responsible for the building itself.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
dont I know it. I am home with windows closed because of dust. been a subdued July 4th over here.
It beggars belief that there were spectators watching the building being demolished. Didn’t they learn anything from 9/11?
Old Jul 5th 2021, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Condo owners are responsible to insure everything up to the drywall. Including their possessions and contents of the condo (If they can get insurance) We could not on the ground floor of our condo.
HOA is responsible for the building itself.
Did I hear that the govt. has declared a disaster area? If so, there may be some financial remedy there.

I was looking at a condo in California a few years ago and the HOA was excluding responsibility for things like decks, even though they are 'outside'. Decks in California (and presumably in Florida!) are key sources of trouble due to wood rot. Obviously this does not apply to a high-rise, which would presumably employ concrete/steel patio / decks, but in low-rise (2-3 story) condos, the decks are typically wooden and very often rot out, and have been a huge source of expense for HOAs so they try to avoid responsibility. Another issue I pursued on a potential purchase was 'consequential damage' (I think that's the term). So - roof leaks, which is the responsibility of the HOA, but if that leak causes damage to your flooring, who's responsible for that? In my view, since it was the roof leak that was the root cause, subsequent consequential damage to the interior flooring should also lie with the HOA but I was told this was not the case. Sounded like a lawsuit to me!

The trouble is, when you buy a place, you are so tempted to overlook all these exclusions because you fall in love with the place.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It beggars belief that there were spectators watching the building being demolished. Didn’t they learn anything from 9/11?
Well, I presume there's a notion of 'safe distance'?
Old Jul 5th 2021, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to this, I think I read that the HOA board has $2m in liability insurance for those officers:

"A lawyer for the condo association told the judge the building's insurance coverage totals $48 million. The judge said the condo's land will also be an asset, which he estimates will add between $30 million and $50 million to the fund."

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...o-receivership

Old Jul 5th 2021, 7:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

To say nothing of the fact that it was the execution of a death sentence on the innocent pets that were left behind.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

there was a shelter in place warning for immediate area and entire town of Surfside closed off to nonresidents.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, I presume there's a notion of 'safe distance'?
One hopes that Florida's notion of a 'safe distance' for the demolition of a building is a bit more realistic than the LAPD's notion of a 'safe distance' for the 'controlled' detonation of explosives ...
Old Jul 5th 2021, 9:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
To say nothing of the fact that it was the execution of a death sentence on the innocent pets that were left behind.
I would hope people took their pets with them.
Old Jul 5th 2021, 10:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope people took their pets with them.
Unfortunately, that was not the case. Someone even tried a last-ditch court attempt to stop the demolition because of an unrecovered pet.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Unfortunately, that was not the case. Someone even tried a last-ditch court attempt to stop the demolition because of an unrecovered pet.
I thought they were given a certain timeframe to evacuate. Shortly after we bought out condo in Toronto, the fire alarm went off. I put a dog under each arm, picked up my handbag and legged it down the fire escape staircase.
Old Jul 6th 2021, 1:50 am
Deep in the woods of CT

https://nypost.com/2021/07/05/heartb...med-legal-bid/
Old Jul 6th 2021, 1:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.