Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Colorado Traffic Court

Colorado Traffic Court

Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado Traffic Court

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The clue here is "18year old driver".

Daddy didn't want anything on the insurance that would up the liability, hence the reason he called the cops and suddenly produced another neighbor as a witness to say Mrs D was at fault.

Well that would be my take on the situation
Very true and let me add:

1. Neighbor complains it was Danvers fault.

2. Danvers assumes guilt for accident.

3. Neighbor gets quote for repair. Recieves check from Danvers insurance company to repair damage (probably not less than $500). Of course they won't repair the dent, they'll just enjoy the extra money.

4. Danvers insurance increases.

Moral of the story..."squeaky wheel gets the grease"
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, dude knew it was easy money. I found it bizarre someone would do this to someone he lived across the street from No they haven't fixed the scrape nor will they. The injured party had a 2000 Buick crapster. (Can't remember the actual model). It's about six months to the scrap yard.

Shame as I was quite nice to that family when their basement flooded.

The other weird thing was the court. Had no idea tickets got plea bargained down to some entirely different offense.

My house (and driveway) is about 10 feet elevated from the road. There is a point where the mirrors do not reflect the blind spot the kid was in.

Anyway I am now reversing into the garage. And wishing bad karma onto the miserable git across the road. I haven't had the opportunity to ask when he's going to get the scrape fixed because he high tails it indoors any time he sees me or my other half.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
.... The other weird thing was the court. Had no idea tickets got plea bargained down to some entirely different offense. .....
Round here speeding is commonly "negotiated down" to something else, most commonly "faulty equipment", I believe, meaning the speedo wasn't showing the correct speed, which bizarrely needs neither any evidence it actually was faulty, nor any proof that it has been fixed.
.... Anyway I am now reversing into the garage. ......
That's definitely a good idea, and one I would always recommend and do myself. It's a habit I learned from my father, and I don't think I have ever parked in a garage "nose first" on more than two or three times, and it feels most strange to do so.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 3:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Round here speeding is commonly "negotiated down" to something else, most commonly "faulty equipment", I believe, meaning the speedo wasn't showing the correct speed, which bizarrely needs neither any evidence it actually was faulty, nor any proof that it has been fixed.
I don't think they do that in MA, but in ME they do if it's not a out of state plate, it's usually for not re-calibrating the speedo when one changes the tyres from summer/winter sets....
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:05 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could get mirrors fitted to your car?

Based on your description it appears to be an observable fact that you were not using your mirrors. You should be thankful that it was the family's older teenager in a car, not their toddler who ran into the road, that you backed into.
I nominate this as the 'Most Helpful Post of the Year'.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I nominate this as the 'Most Helpful Post of the Year'.
Oh wow. The trouble with the ignore feature is that when someone quotes the ignored, their spiteful comments are quoted for you to see anyway.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow. The trouble with the ignore feature is that when someone quotes the ignored, their spiteful comments are quoted for you to see anyway.
"Spiteful"?

Even Leslie agrees with me, and Leslie NEVER agrees with me!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:42 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up on ignoring people. I have no will. I was constantly taking them off ignore to see what they said.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I gave up on ignoring people. I have no will. I was constantly taking them off ignore to see what they said.
Or apparently, one can simply log out. . I'm gonna go with it though.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:31 am

Me too, so that's something else we agree on. It must be the spirit of Christmas that's getting to us.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A temporary aberration.

Normal service will be resumed.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Would a toddler on behind a car be visible in the mirrors of a backing car? Never backed into anyone, or anything and I do use my mirrors when backing along with paying attention to all sides, but not sure a small child close to the car would be visible in the mirrors, but I dunno.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Would a toddler on behind a car be visible in the mirrors of a backing car? Never backed into anyone, or anything and I do use my mirrors when backing along with paying attention to all sides, but not sure a small child close to the car would be visible in the mirrors, but I dunno.
Agreed, somewhat, but backing into the road when you can't see is fraught with risks. I agree with the OP that backing into the driveway and garage, and driving out, is the best solution, not least because you can usually take your time when you back in, whereas when you leave you might be in a hurry.

My experience is mostly with watching for and avoiding our cats which like to bask on the driveway. Our driveway drops about 12 feet in 65ft, so backing safely (in) is a challenge but after checking that there are no cats on the driveway as I drive past and swing round preparing to reverse, I scan both door mirrors continuously to look for movements as I back down the driveway. I have not run over a cat yet, though they are likely more street-smart than a toddler.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway I am now reversing into the garage. And wishing bad karma onto the miserable git across the road. I haven't had the opportunity to ask when he's going to get the scrape fixed because he high tails it indoors any time he sees me or my other half.
If it's a crappy old car, he may very well have accepted a lower payment from the insurance company in lieu of having the repairs made, something which would almost certainly be his prerogative.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, somewhat, but backing into the road when you can't see is fraught with risks. I agree with the OP that backing into the driveway and garage, and driving out, is the best solution, not least because you can usually take your time when you back in, whereas when you leave you might be in a hurry.

My experience is mostly with watching for and avoiding our cats which like to bask on the driveway. Our driveway drops about 12 feet in 65ft, so backing safely (in) is a challenge but after checking that there are no cats on the driveway as I drive past and swing round preparing to reverse, I scan both door mirrors continuously to look for movements as I back down the driveway. I have not run over a cat yet, though they are likely more street-smart than a toddler.
I didn't take backing into a road into consideration, I don't have to back into a road and didn't think about that.

I just have to back out 5 feet and go forward.