Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Colonoscopy ... again!

Colonoscopy ... again!

Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colonoscopy ... again!

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I understand the sentiment that you don't want to grow old here - I have the same fears - but on the other hand, I've heard that in the UK no one ever gets a colonoscopy checkup as a preventive procedure so early detection does not occur.
There's a problem with unnecessary treatments. Most old men die with it, but long before it has caused any issues, so over-diagnosis causes many to undergo painful treatment for something they would never have had to deal with. No one is really sure of the balance yet. Or is that prostate cancer? I seem to have filed it all into the doctor-butt-stuff part of my brain.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
There's a problem with unnecessary treatments. Most old men die with it, but long before it has caused any issues, so over-diagnosis causes many to undergo painful treatment for something they would never have had to deal with. No one is really sure of the balance yet. Or is that prostate cancer? I seem to have filed it all into the doctor-butt-stuff part of my brain.
My doctor said that they were getting a fair number of false positives with the PSA tests. If it came back positive you would go through all the procedure for nothing. they have upped the age requirement now.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
If you are going to have doctors sticking their fingers up your bum, going to a country where they have a lot of small-handed doctors is a good idea.
You're thinking of the prostate test where doctors stick a greasy finger up the anus and tickle the prostate....but never buy lunch or send flowers.
I wrote a little ditty about my experience....

The casual talk about the weather.
The wry smile and the bend-over call.
The snap of the rubber glove.
The smell of petroleum jelly.
The coolness of the insertion.
The slight wiggle.
The result….."Your prostate is the same size".
The relief.
The embarrassing tissue clean-up.
The murmured "Thank you, Doctor...Thank you, Nurse".

All reminds me... I'm due again ...

The Colonoscopy is when they send a canon telephoto camera all the way (5-6 feet) up the colon to the chest, whilst taking selfies...there's no touchy romance...and if the R2D2 camera machine finds any enemies it cuts or burns them...execution-wise. Its all business...there's no messing around in the tunnel of Guano...
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:59 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
the tunnel of Guano
Dire Straits?
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Dire Straits?
Very
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:58 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Very
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 11:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Your response in script is thumbs up...
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Your response in script is thumbs up...
Ha!
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Ha!
Old Jul 26th 2016, 1:30 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

My g/f had one a few years ago and she also got hit with a charge for the anesthesia service. Based on this experience, I made sure this time that both the procedure and the anesthesia were covered ahead of time. Sad that you have to deal with all this bureaucracy, but still worth it.

They found / removed polyps during my procedure 7 years ago but it was still considered preventive. I believe this all comes down to 'coding' - how they coded the procedure. I specifically discussed the coding with the doctor prior to the procedure to ensure it would be covered. Now, I'll have to wait 6 months before I can be sure there are no charges, but I've been assured there won't be any.

I understand the sentiment that you don't want to grow old here - I have the same fears - but on the other hand, I've heard that in the UK no one ever gets a colonoscopy checkup as a preventive procedure so early detection does not occur. In fact one friend of mine in UK did have colon cancer, and said in retrospect it would have been detected much earlier had he had the procedure. My brother (5 years older than me, also in UK) won't even entertain the concept because he's never heard of it and thinks it 'odd' (he'd generally have to be at death's door before he'd see any doctor about anything, that's just his way).

The prep is no fun, but as I mentioned in my post this time, there are better products available if you ask for them, as I did (the OsmoPrep). The prep 7 years ago involved drinking 4 liters of icky salty liquid, this time I just drank apple juice - a world of difference. Yes, you need to form a close relationship with your toilet (you poop/squirt as if you ate the worst curry of your life, although with no stomach pain) but that part wasn't as bad as I expected.
Colonoscopy screening is available in the UK, although they do FOB testing (non invasive) initially once you reach a certain age, I believe it's from 50 onwards.. If you have a positive FOB you're referred for a colonoscopy as a Urgent Suspected Cancer so from diagnosis to plan of care within 10 days or that's the target. I used to work in an Endoscopy unit and a centre of excellence for Colorectal Surgery. The screening patients had amazing care although the UK doctors I worked with rarely gave sedation let alone anaesthetic and 90% of the patients were happy with the lack of sedation they chose. It's actually pretty dangerous and easy to perf a bowel with a patient who can't express discomfort...
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Colonoscopy screening is available in the UK, although they do FOB testing (non invasive) initially once you reach a certain age, I believe it's from 50 onwards.. If you have a positive FOB you're referred for a colonoscopy as a Urgent Suspected Cancer so from diagnosis to plan of care within 10 days or that's the target. I used to work in an Endoscopy unit and a centre of excellence for Colorectal Surgery. The screening patients had amazing care although the UK doctors I worked with rarely gave sedation let alone anaesthetic and 90% of the patients were happy with the lack of sedation they chose. It's actually pretty dangerous and easy to perf a bowel with a patient who can't express discomfort...
Interesting. I just looked up FOB, basically it's a stool sample. I do that also once a year (part of the annual blood/urine tests I get). So you are saying, if you get a negative FOB (Fecal Occult Blood), then there's really no reason for a colonoscopy? I'm sure there are interesting studies either way.

I have heard of the punctured colon issue - a friend-of-a-friend had that happen to him during his colonoscopy. Expressing discomfort ... wow, that takes on a whole new meaning! I guess you are saying it's not that painful. I'm thinking I'll probably never find out as I'm a wimp, but something to consider I guess!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I just looked up FOB, basically it's a stool sample. I do that also once a year (part of the annual blood/urine tests I get). So you are saying, if you get a negative FOB (Fecal Occult Blood), then there's really no reason for a colonoscopy? I'm sure there are interesting studies either way.

I have heard of the punctured colon issue - a friend-of-a-friend had that happen to him during his colonoscopy. Expressing discomfort ... wow, that takes on a whole new meaning! I guess you are saying it's not that painful. I'm thinking I'll probably never find out as I'm a wimp, but something to consider I guess!
The Australian government sends out free FOB screening tests to everyone as a 50th birthday gift.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I read a paper on the statistics of colonoscopy, and, IIRC, unless you have familial or previous history, then the prophylactic colonoscopy is riskier than waiting for a positive FOB, provided you ARE doing FOB
Old Jul 27th 2016, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Do you know anything about computed tomographic colonography (CTC), commonly referred to as virtual colonoscopy, from post #14
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

We have just cancelled our colonoscopy appointments for Friday. We, the wife and I, had our annual physicals recently and the Doc advised that we have colonoscopies. These would be free of charge, courtesy of our health insurance, as preventative measures. Never had one before having had the FOB type each year. We had to go for a consultation first which consisted of a 10 minute chat with the Doctor followed by BP and pulse/temp etc. Then given instruction pamphlet of what to do the day before All of which could have been done by a first year med student. On checkout we were asked for $340 each as a consultation fee!!!! Never paid and contacted the insurance company who said that they would pay.
My wifes' Doc gave her a prescription for the preparation, whilst I got details of over the counter preps. The prescription would have cost $120. Left it there and got the over the counter preps for us both for less than $30.
Since reading this post and learning that the Colonoscopy group are linked to our Doctors group we decided to cancel and return to the non-invasive test. We are both low risk for Colon Cancer and believe it is sufficient for us to continue with the FOB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.