British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   collected tickets/can,t take it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/collected-tickets-can-t-take-377249/)

killie Jun 3rd 2006 12:51 pm

collected tickets/can,t take it

hi all
well we collected our tickets and are on our way HOME wherever that might be,
we have been here 10 months 11 by the time we leave and things over the last few months havent been good,there was an attempted coup!! yes i know
amongst other things like lack of electric water and gas and borders closed all kinds of bribes and back handers because we are white (toubabs).

my husband and son are so happy now the decision is made and are counting the days till june 30th ,we are going back with only our cases, and have nothing in scotland,
i am so upside down as i feel i,ve let them down as it was mainly me who wanted to come, and that we have gone through alot of cash in our time here and the move ect, so not feeling to clever at the moment.

hubby heard today he has his job back (truck driver across europe) but we have no desire to go back to the village or area we came from so looking at central scotland and trying to find something ,my friend has said we can stay with her as long as we like but ,don,t want to impose more than a week/10 days.

so heading home ,and feeling like a failure.!!! :( :(

TruBrit Jun 3rd 2006 12:56 pm

Re: collected tickets/can,t take it

Originally Posted by killie
hi all
well we collected our tickets and are on our way HOME wherever that might be,
we have been here 10 months 11 by the time we leave and things over the last few months havent been good,there was an attempted coup!! yes i know
amongst other things like lack of electric water and gas and borders closed all kinds of bribes and back handers because we are white (toubabs).

my husband and son are so happy now the decision is made and are counting the days till june 30th ,we are going back with only our cases, and have nothing in scotland,
i am so upside down as i feel i,ve let them down as it was mainly me who wanted to come, and that we have gone through alot of cash in our time here and the move ect, so not feeling to clever at the moment.

hubby heard today he has his job back (truck driver across europe) but we have no desire to go back to the village or area we came from so looking at central scotland and trying to find something ,my friend has said we can stay with her as long as we like but ,don,t want to impose more than a week/10 days.

so heading home ,and feeling like a failure.!!! :( :(

hiya killie, hey no reason to feel like a failure....you've tried it and it didn't work out and so look forward not back..and tons of good luck wishes :)

Lizzi Jun 3rd 2006 1:52 pm

You're not a failure you're amazing for having the courage to move to a country that is really off the radar for the usual Brit expat choices of the US, Oz NZ and SA!! Good on you girl and all the best for your return.

Hutch Jun 3rd 2006 5:45 pm

Definitely. Sounds like a real adventure. Maybe even a book in it? ;)

Andrew Cross Jun 3rd 2006 8:29 pm

Dont feel a failure, it was just another adventure in your life, at least you can say you've been there and done that !!!
Best of luck to you all on your travels home and hope you settle back in Scotland with no worries. :D

killie Jun 3rd 2006 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Dont feel a failure, it was just another adventure in your life, at least you can say you've been there and done that !!!
Best of luck to you all on your travels home and hope you settle back in Scotland with no worries. :D

thanks to you all, it was just beginning to drive me crazy here no water electric intermitant, gas shortages ,bribes and unfortunatly gambians are not multi taskers so had our work cut out here with holiday apts which we are trying to sell before our return, yes certainly not your usual locations.

i just feel that going back is the only sane option as me and oh have never argued so much and my personality was changing and not for the good :eek:

got our house away today so thats something !!

Jansz Jun 4th 2006 6:18 am

I think you are amazing to have the courage and spirit to have done this venture. Okay, so it didnt work, but it might have, you wont spend forever wondering what if and I'm sure you have had an amazing life experience even if a difficult one. I agree with everyone else, there is no failure here, just a realisation that it is not going to work. :)

phoenixinoz Jun 4th 2006 8:34 am

Attempted coup:eek:

Sounds like you've had a few unsavoury moments and will be lucky to get away safe. At least you've had a go. If you have survived there, then you'll be OK in Scotland;)

Good luck:)

kt.2006 Jun 4th 2006 9:31 am

It certainly sounds like it has been an experience. You are certainly not a failure so don't feel bad about what has happened, some things like the coup were out of your control anyway! A lot of people (me included) have felt way out of our comfort zone going to a similar country like Australia. You were very brave to try somewhere so far removed from what you were used to in Scotland. All the best for the future and I hope things go well for you on your return.