Cod n chips

Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cod n chips

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hmm... that's what I thought. And they don't quite look greasy enough.
OK, he's come in to defend his honor and Englishness.. that photo is wrong (old). Try this:

The chips definitely had no skins, were VERY greasy (been paying the price this afternoon) and were not too thick. "Not where I come from anyway."

I am just the messenger.

If it helps, they don't serve booze?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:39 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

If it helps, they don't serve booze?
it helps

Old Apr 28th 2010, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Would it be awful of me to tell you that my lovely husband just took me out for the best cod n' chips in town?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-frying-scotsman-portland

Now I'm bustagut and want a nap.
We're always on the look-out for a good fish and chips, will have to give this a try next time we come down.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 2:25 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I llike the Irish chippy at Disney...
The one reason I went back to Orlando this year
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hmm... that's what I thought. And they don't quite look greasy enough.

Compare these:

http://halfiranian.com/wp-content/up...fish_chips.jpg
This is torture
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Love fish and chips. Can get really good ones here on the Avenue because they are all Micks ;-) But the best I've ever ever had were just across the Can/Am border on the way into Nova Scotia. Made with halibut instead of cod.

But alas and aleck, no more fried foods for me and/or bread coatings.

JG how could you not like fish??????????? You and my sister are the same. When we were away last weekend, she asked if the restaurant we were going to had things other than fish for her to eat
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Love fish and chips. Can get really good ones here on the Avenue because they are all Micks ;-) But the best I've ever ever had were just across the Can/Am border on the way into Nova Scotia. Made with halibut instead of cod.

JG how could you not like fish??????????? You and my sister are the same. When we were away last weekend, she asked if the restaurant we were going to had things other than fish for her to eat
Maybe a good fat battered sausage?!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's the smell...I hate walking past the fish counters in supermarkets it makes me wretch. I also don't like getting bones in my mouth...I know they're only small but yuck. I'm the same with pips in fruit.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:29 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I made some lovely fish and chips the other week, with help from a couple of posts on the recipe thread. We had curry sauce with them, thanks to some Bisto granules I brought back from my last trip.

Of course, the biggest fillet of cod you can find round here is the equivalent of a small one in the UK, but that's OK 'cos you can only get tiny deep fat fryers anyway.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:31 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I also don't like getting bones in my mouth...
This space intentionally left blank.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:32 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I made some lovely fish and chips the other week, with help from a couple of posts on the recipe thread. We had curry sauce with them, thanks to some Bisto granules I brought back from my last trip.

Of course, the biggest fillet of cod you can find round here is the equivalent of a small one in the UK, but that's OK 'cos you can only get tiny deep fat fryers anyway.
Use a turkey cooker.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:38 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Use a turkey cooker.
Don't they burn your house down?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:39 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Don't they burn your house down?
Yes.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's the smell...I hate walking past the fish counters in supermarkets it makes me wretch. I also don't like getting bones in my mouth...I know they're only small but yuck. I'm the same with pips in fruit.

I agree with you on the bones. If I get a bone in my fish at a particular restaurant I will never order fish there again and will stick mainly to shell fish.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
This space intentionally left blank.
I knew it would be you.

I agree with you on the bones. If I get a bone in my fish at a particular restaurant I will never order fish there again and will stick mainly to shell fish.
Good...I'm not the only one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.