Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cleaning off price label sticky stuff

Wikiposts

Cleaning off price label sticky stuff

Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning off price label sticky stuff

Originally Posted by tom169
The worst are the dealer stickers on cars. I still need to get mine off.
I removed the dealer sticker on my Mustang and then used Goo Gone to get rid of the residue. Worked very well for me... and I really like the orange smell.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know what a "temporary license sticker" is.
In Oregon when you buy a car from a dealer, sometime instead of getting license plates with your car, you get a temporary license stuck to the window. Your real plates turn up a few weeks later. I think Washington was the same.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
In Oregon when you buy a car from a dealer, sometime instead of getting license plates with your car, you get a temporary license stuck to the window. Your real plates turn up a few weeks later. I think Washington was the same.
Ah. On the east coast states issue temporary "paper" (actually thin white card) tags, usually with a hand written expiry date and valid for 30 days. They have no security features, and it was recently reported that a drug ring in NC was using home made temporary paper tags to avoid their vehicles being tracked by the police when transporting drugs.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ah. On the east coast states issue temporary "paper" (actually thin white card) tags, usually with a hand written expiry date and valid for 30 days. They have no security features, and it was recently reported that a drug ring in NC was using home made temporary paper tags to avoid their vehicles being tracked by the police when transporting drugs.
Not all east coast states. NJ's temp plates are as mrken described.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you get some olive oil on your finger and rub it along the chain that should help. It's particularly effective if the saw is running.
Well I tried it, not sure about using extra virgin on the chain? Partly successful, now this was a Stihl, would it work better on a Husqvarna?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I removed the dealer sticker on my Mustang and then used Goo Gone to get rid of the residue. Worked very well for me... and I really like the orange smell.

Ian
Goof off, Acetone, and Alcohol are my three tools of choice for this challenge.

PS - I once ruined (visually) an HP printer by using Acetone to remove some sticky residue from the case (someone had used packing tape to 'secure' the printer during shipment, and it must have been left on for months if not years before I inherited the printer ...). I could feel something 'softening' under the rag, thinking it was the residue, but it was in fact the outer layer of the plastic case being dissolved! There are some very cool plastic finishes these days that look velvety; they don't stand up well to chemicals!

Moral of the story - test in an inconspicuous area first!

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 5th 2017 at 8:27 am.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 10:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well I tried it, not sure about using extra virgin on the chain? Partly successful, now this was a Stihl, would it work better on a Husqvarna?
Were you running your finger along the chain while it was running?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:15 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
The worst are the dealer stickers on cars. I still need to get mine off.
They can be removed by gently heating with a hair dryer (or perform this on a hot day instead) and with dental floss behind the decal to gentle cut through the adhesive. The residue is removed with detergent (Dawn dish soap for example).

When buying a new vehicle I make it a requirement there are no dealers badges, or license plate holders on any of my vehicles. I bought a new Diesel Ram 2500 most recently, I told the dealer I would not accept it with any dealer decals on it. I'm not going to advertise their dealership for them. It had a dealer decal on it, and I waited patiently while the body guys removed it.

It is fairly common here in Texas for pickup owners to completely remove all decals, even the OEM ones. I don't mind the OEM ones, I just don't feel like advertising the dealership.

Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
They can be removed by gently heating with a hair dryer (or perform this on a hot day instead) and with dental floss behind the decal to gentle cut through the adhesive. The residue is removed with detergent (Dawn dish soap for example).

When buying a new vehicle I make it a requirement there are no dealers badges, or license plate holders on any of my vehicles. I bought a new Diesel Ram 2500 most recently, I told the dealer I would not accept it with any dealer decals on it. I'm not going to advertise their dealership for them. It had a dealer decal on it, and I waited patiently while the body guys removed it.

It is fairly common here in Texas for pickup owners to completely remove all decals, even the OEM ones. I don't mind the OEM ones, I just don't feel like advertising the dealership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNJy1JSn0w

Same here...we always tell the dealership we will not take delivery of a vehicle with any type of sticker on it...that includes the licence plate holder with their name on it.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips on removing the stickers. I'll give it a shot on a hot day. Appreciate it.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 2:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Same here...we always tell the dealership we will not take delivery of a vehicle with any type of sticker on it...that includes the licence plate holder with their name on it.
I made the same request when I bought my last car. Went to collect and the guy came out with a mechanic and some named plate holders and said 'we know you don't want decals but what about these?' I just looked at him and he said 'That'll be a no then!'

The day a few years back when we did away with rego stickers was a very happy day for me!
Old Apr 7th 2017, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Eucalyptus oil works a treat for removing the gluey residue from sticky labels, although I'm not sure I would use it on a leather handbag though because of the smell. You only need use a tiny little drop on a tissue.

ETA: After a quick search it seems lots of advice out there suggests eucalyptus is actually fine for cleaning marks off of leather.

http://www.homelife.com.au/craft-diy...eucalyptus-oil

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Apr 7th 2017 at 11:25 am. Reason: Add link
Old Apr 8th 2017, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

For glass, vinyl and car paint I use WD-40 to remove gum residue. I probably wouldn't use it on a leather handbag, although you might get away with testing it on a small patch on the bottom of the bag.
I am always wary about using solvents like Acetone on any surface, especially paintwork, whilst it shouldn't react with clearcoat it would depend upon how tired the clearcoat is and/or it's history of being polished. All evidence of sticky labels can be removed from paintwork fairly easily if the label hasn't been in place for a long time. Sometimes the edge of labels that have been there for a long time will 'shadow' the clearcoat and the only remedy is the mechanical removal of the clearcoat and reapplication, not a job for a DIY merchant (unless you fancy the same kind of crappy finish that dealers leave when they touch up paint chips)!!
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
For glass, vinyl and car paint I use WD-40 to remove gum residue. I probably wouldn't use it on a leather handbag, although you might get away with testing it on a small patch on the bottom of the bag.
I am always wary about using solvents like Acetone on any surface, especially paintwork, whilst it shouldn't react with clearcoat it would depend upon how tired the clearcoat is and/or it's history of being polished. All evidence of sticky labels can be removed from paintwork fairly easily if the label hasn't been in place for a long time. Sometimes the edge of labels that have been there for a long time will 'shadow' the clearcoat and the only remedy is the mechanical removal of the clearcoat and reapplication, not a job for a DIY merchant (unless you fancy the same kind of crappy finish that dealers leave when they touch up paint chips)!!
I use WD-40 for most things as well. Don't think I've tried it on leather but who knows.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 2:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I use WD-40 for most things as well. ....
Hopefully not on light switches and electrical fittings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.