Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?

Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?

Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?

The shops are getting their displays ready for Christmas and yet again I'm wondering what on Earth to buy for gifts/stocking fillers.

I thought it might be nice to start off a thread where we can post some ideas, whether it's stuff found in any US chain store or online (hopefully with low mailing costs!).

I've just come across this item, which I think might make a nice gift for a British expat:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80958382...at1_gallery_19

(you would have to purchase the matting and frame seperately, perhaps from Target, Home Goods, Michael's art & craft stores etc.)

Any other ideas?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?

Another thought - this link may be especially useful for anyone with kids!

http://www.orientaltrading.com/

http://www.orientaltrading.com/chris...+1240-8-1.fltr (I used to love making the paper chains when I was a kid, to hang from the ceiling at Christmastime)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The shops are getting their displays ready for Christmas and yet again I'm wondering what on Earth to buy for gifts/stocking fillers.

I thought it might be nice to start off a thread where we can post some ideas, whether it's stuff found in any US chain store or online (hopefully with low mailing costs!).

I've just come across this item, which I think might make a nice gift for a British expat:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/80958382...at1_gallery_19

(you would have to purchase the matting and frame seperately, perhaps from Target, Home Goods, Michael's art & craft stores etc.)

Any other ideas?
I like the silhouette, but without the heart.
All I want for Christmas is an elf to come and decorate our house for the Yule season - bring down all lighted little porcelain houses stored in the closet and set them up, find the white porcelain Magi (which is all I wanted of the Creche set), drape the evergreen garlands and put up the tree, completing the scene with the scent of a pine forest!

As for suggestions, unless your giftee already has one, maybe a Kindle Fire or a Nook Color. My daughter wants the Kindle Fire as she says she can play games on it, watch videos and all manner of fun things. ('Course she has expensive tastes!) I think the Kindle is less expensive ($199 they say) than the Nook and it looks like it has more benefits. I've got a regular Nook and like it fine - don't think I'd spend $250 on the Color version, though.

If the person already has a Kindle or Nook, how about gift certificates for e.books? Or other downloads? Does it have to be something purchased? How about making a set of re-usable carry bags for the grocery store, etc? Cotton duck (or similar) with an applique of something clever would be useful as well as fun. The bags themselves are really easy to make - I used to make myself one when I traveled to the UK before OH & I married.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I love Etsy and spend hours on there. My boys love Lego, so I'll probably get some of these for stocking stuffers http://www.etsy.com/listing/79437514...=all&ga_facet=

You can also get Lego shaped crayons.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to record "The Night Before Christmas" for my niece's kids -- help them to remember the missing aunt! They're a bit pricey, but there's a coupon in effect after Nov 4.

http://www.hallmark.com/online/in-st...DABLESTORYBOOK
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stocking stuffers will be crap from the dollar bin or similar in the toy shops...we always seem to go over board, but won't this year.

Kindle Fire would be fun to have a play around with and looks like a good deal.

Probably be a lot of craft projects this year too...hmmm...meh.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:54 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Weeze is usually a little bar humbug about Christmas pre-December, but he already is planning on buying this little beauty.

http://online.findgift.com/gift-ideas/pid-128882/#b

It's to join the two anamatronic light up gators he bought for last year!
Amazon have some good reductions on at the minute. I need to buy 8 secret Santa gifts for under $5 each and got Delia's Italian cookbook for $2.
I'm thinking of getting the Kindle Fire for my Dad. I bought a few bits and pieces in the Holister sale at the weekend to send to my sister. Their thin sweater tops were down to $12. I also got some bargain Oakleys for $40 and an Oakley tshirt for $5. All good for posting back to the UK.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Lump of coal.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I love Etsy and spend hours on there. My boys love Lego, so I'll probably get some of these for stocking stuffers http://www.etsy.com/listing/79437514...=all&ga_facet=

You can also get Lego shaped crayons.
Have you seen the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar - I bought one for one of my nephews back home - it is awesome.

The teens usually get a cinema gift certificate wrapped round a tube of sweets unless they have asked for something specific.

We only do kids and parents now as it was getting ridiculous for a while.

The little girls are all getting manhattan toys groovy girls dolls and I found a book to match - the mermaid doll with a mermaid book - the ladybird doll with a ladybird book etc.

Last year I got the little ones back home 'The Elf on the Shelf' - a book with toy elf that stays in their room all December to check if they are being naughty or nice. These went down very well with the parents - haha!

I would love Rosetta Stone but I'm not sure if I would actually stick with it and it's too pricey to buy and then let it rot in a cupboard!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:16 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Mr Weeze is usually a little bar humbug about Christmas pre-December, but he already is planning on buying this little beauty.

http://online.findgift.com/gift-ideas/pid-128882/#b

It's to join the two anamatronic light up gators he bought for last year!
Amazon have some good reductions on at the minute. I need to buy 8 secret Santa gifts for under $5 each and got Delia's Italian cookbook for $2.
I'm thinking of getting the Kindle Fire for my Dad. I bought a few bits and pieces in the Holister sale at the weekend to send to my sister. Their thin sweater tops were down to $12. I also got some bargain Oakleys for $40 and an Oakley tshirt for $5. All good for posting back to the UK.
Own up - are these yours?
Attached Thumbnails Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?-redneck_christmas.jpg   Christmas Is Coming......Gift Ideas?-santapee.bmp  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Have you seen the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar - I bought one for one of my nephews back home - it is awesome.

Like this? http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars...9737622&sr=8-1

That is cool. My kids would love that.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:00 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by nethead
Like this? http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars...9737622&sr=8-1

That is cool. My kids would love that.
That's the one - the little figures are really good. I am trying to find a girly equivalent for my niece so they both have a 'toy' advent calendar.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

LOL - not just for kids! I have one to open and one to put away....... :-)
Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's the one - the little figures are really good. I am trying to find a girly equivalent for my niece so they both have a 'toy' advent calendar.
http://www.amazon.com/Littlest-Shop-...p_ob_t_title_2

I guess it would depend on how old she is?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 7:34 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Own up - are these yours?
Urgh, no! Was never allowed anything but icicle lights in the Uk. Then we moved here and everyone in the subdivision has reindeer grazing on their lawn alongside snowmen. Mr Weeze said that they should have bought something more suitable for the climate and so bought the 2 gators. One is light up wearing a santa hat, and the other lights up and moves, swishing his tail and pretending to snap at people. As for looking for the flamingo this year, I have never seen him so enthusiastic about Christmas decorations. I think he just enjoys trying to spoil the look of the subdivision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.