Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Christmas cards say "no" to going back

Christmas cards say "no" to going back

Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:58 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas cards say "no" to going back

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Perhaps they are failing, but I doubt that the incidence rates are any higher that 10 or 20 years ago, just a greater level of sensationalist reporting. It shouldn't stop people moving back, although those moving abroad to places like Australia might want to watch out.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/...R45-2006V1.pdf

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/resea...2_wdf49716.pdf

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita

In reality all the developed western-style countries are much of a muchness when it comes to most crime, the US probably on the worse end.

Issues involving children have got worse with more teenage pregnancies and single parent familes. Children are exposed to more potential danger today than they ever were not least because of the internet, drugs, the development of urban estates, breakdown of the family and more opportunity for them to be approached by strangers in cars through the ever increasing network of roads.

You cannot trust the NSPCC. They inflate the figures of children at risk to drum up more support and collect more money. We used to be involved in supporting them and I saw documents produced by them that suggested there were as many as 300,000 children at risk. These figures conflicted with the department of health's own figures which were at the time much, much less and out of a figure of 11.5 million children in England and Wales under the age of 18.

I saw the CEO's post advertised in the Sunday Times offering a six figure package, car, pension, etc, etc and I was incensed that we were giving our time for free and donating money as were so many other members of the public and businesses yet the chief executive was earning such a high salary.I wrote asking her to explain why she thought it was right to take so much money from a fund that was supposed to be helping children. She wrote back saying that she was only earning what most chief executives earned running a company.
I always imagined running a charity was a moral calling, not a business opportunity. Then later, the NSPCC hit the headlines for at least 50% of it's funding being spent on administration and management.

We withdrew our support.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:20 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

back to the spirit of the original post....

some of you will have me down as a godzoner and indeed both my wife and I are both very happy here. all good for us

however, the mbttuk section has given me an insight into certain things.
the main one of course, being that oz is not for everyone.
I really empathise with you guys on here, who knows , it may be me in 5 years?
if you are not happy go home. seriously.
not in a aussie "if you don't love it leave way" but in a "i think you only have one life" kind of way.

as some of you may know, although an ozziephile, I have no axe to grind with the uk at all.
the recession will hit everywhere albeit to different degrees, and anybody that thinks the uk will go bust is talking shite to be frank. if ww2 couldn't do it how is a financial crisis going to?
cricket 1 is in a different boat with a business to consider. for the rest of you, go for it! if you get to the uk and are struggling a bit financially, you will ride it out, we all do!
personally, i would rather be a bit strapped and happy than comfortable and miserable.
I do realise that this is all very simplistic and very easy for me to say when I am settled and happy, but I urge switherers to look deep and at the big picture.
I feel especially for people like quoll and her situation. I am so lucky we have both settled.
go with the heart.
don't always agree with you lot of whingers, but my thoughts are with you all this festive season.
xxx to the girls and manly hugs to the boys
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kporte;7078790]back to the spirit of the original post....

some of you will have me down as a godzoner and indeed both my wife and I are both very happy here. all good for us

not in a aussie "if you don't love it leave way" but in a "i think you only have one life" kind of way.

as some of you may know, although an ozziephile, I have no axe to grind with the uk at all.
the recession will hit everywhere albeit to different degrees, and anybody that thinks the uk will go bust is talking shite to be frank. if ww2 couldn't do it how is a financial crisis going to?
cricket 1 is in a different boat with a business to consider. for the rest of you, go for it! if you get to the uk and are struggling a bit financially, you will ride it out, we all do!
personally, i would rather be a bit strapped and happy than comfortable and miserable.
I do realise that this is all very simplistic and very easy for me to say when I am settled and happy, but I urge switherers to look deep and at the big picture.
I feel especially for people like quoll and her situation. I am so lucky we have both settled.
go with the heart.
don't always agree with you lot of whingers, but my thoughts are with you all this festive season.
xxx to the girls and manly hugs to the boys[/QUOTE

This makes alot of sense and I am not sure how long you have been in Oz but I would have said too that until a year or so ago that we were pretty happy here. We also had no problems with the Uk unlike quite a few of our english mates here who run it down given every opportunity. But you are right things can change and I am not really sure what that is exactly, maybe a feeling that its now or never to go back but am also feeling fed up with life in Australia at the moment doing the same thing and our social life mainly revolving around kids sporting activities. The distance is too great and I dont wish to spend every holiday on a 24 hr flight .
Good advice to go with the heart but I dont know that you ever truly are settled anywhere once you have started the migration journey
Merry xmas to you as well:
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:10 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=sfr09;7078874]
Originally Posted by kporte
back to the spirit of the original post....

go with the heart.
xxx to the girls and manly hugs to the boys[/QUOTE

This makes alot of sense and I am not sure how long you have been in Oz but I would have said too that until a year or so ago that we were pretty happy here. We also had no problems with the Uk unlike quite a few of our english mates here who run it down given every opportunity. But you are right things can change and I am not really sure what that is exactly, maybe a feeling that its now or never to go back but am also feeling fed up with life in Australia at the moment doing the same thing and our social life mainly revolving around kids sporting activities. The distance is too great and I dont wish to spend every holiday on a 24 hr flight .
Good advice to go with the heart but I dont know that you ever truly are settled anywhere once you have started the migration journey
Merry xmas to you as well:
been here 19 months and life has never been better. both found great jobs and are both genuinely content. we are really settled.
i did start to get irrationally upset at people slagging of oz, because we were happy etc, but as a basically decent person i started to look at things from a different perspective. i now have a rule that , a few cheap shots aside, i will only post here if i can contribute in the spirit of the forum.
to be honest i am somewhat confused at times, how easily we have settled in here. it all seems to be going so well i am almost waiting for a calamity?
anyway, not really the issue.
this may be the wrong thing to bring up, but what do you guys think about the ping-pongers? what a mindf**k!
Flea, do you think you will ping pong?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:16 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;7078922]
Originally Posted by sfr09

been here 19 months and life has never been better. both found great jobs and are both genuinely content. we are really settled.
i did start to get irrationally upset at people slagging of oz, because we were happy etc, but as a basically decent person i started to look at things from a different perspective. i now have a rule that , a few cheap shots aside, i will only post here if i can contribute in the spirit of the forum.
to be honest i am somewhat confused at times, how easily we have settled in here. it all seems to be going so well i am almost waiting for a calamity?
this may be the wrong thing to bring up, but what do you guys think about the ping-pongers? what a mindf**k!

I get upset with those who slate Oz because I find them the epitome of the worst of the whiners. I also think they waste a chance to grow by being miserable while they are here. OK, it might not be for them, but how good is it that they get the chance and are welcomed here to experience life so that they could make that choice??? But do they have to make Oz sound so bad in order to create an excuse for making a mistake in deciding to move here?
I could live in either country, I'm happy in either. My main issues are my daughter in the UK and where is the best place to run my business. Apart from this, I think both the UK and Australia offer unique and incomparable opportunities.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kporte;7078922]

That is what worries me I dont want to go through all this massive upheaval to only want to come back six months later ,plenty of people do it though my own parents did that in the sixties when they were 10 pound poms and I always thought not me as it was quite disruptive when I was a child. However here I am thinking of going back and how will that be for my child who has never known anything else and is very happy in Oz , its a mindfield thats for sure but maybe best to see it as an adventure I guess we could sell it that way
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:28 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=sfr09;7078946]

That is what worries me I dont want to go through all this massive upheaval to only want to come back six months later ,plenty of people do it though my own parents did that in the sixties when they were 10 pound poms and I always thought not me as it was quite disruptive when I was a child. However here I am thinking of going back and how will that be for my child who has never known anything else and is very happy in Oz , its a mindfield thats for sure but maybe best to see it as an adventure I guess we could sell it that way
about the only comment I can make is, cross that bridge if and when you come to it.
otherwise you have a self fulfilling prophesy
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:29 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kporte;7078922]

NOOOO!! not on your nelly

I have already been a ping ponger twice in the last year or so, and both times had to return against my will so to speak.

For the record, up until about 4yrs ago i was blissfully happy here... or so i thought... and would i would espouse the virtues of Australia frequently. I dont really remember exctly when or why things changed. I just became increasingly irritated and disillusioned with the place. Maybe i was covering up the underlying misgivings i had when i first settled here,i'm not really sure, but because i am now forced to be somewhere that i really dislike and cant escape from for reasons out of my control, it irks even more.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:32 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricket1;7078938]

I get upset with those who slate Oz because I find them the epitome of the worst of the whiners. I also think they waste a chance to grow by being miserable while they are here. OK, it might not be for them, but how good is it that they get the chance and are welcomed here to experience life so that they could make that choice??? But do they have to make Oz sound so bad in order to create an excuse for making a mistake in deciding to move here?
I could live in either country, I'm happy in either. My main issues are my daughter in the UK and where is the best place to run my business. Apart from this, I think both the UK and Australia offer unique and incomparable opportunities.
I slate it, and i'm happy to be a whinger
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:37 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;7078970]

NOOOO!! not on your nelly

I have already been a ping ponger twice in the last year or so, and both times had to return against my will so to speak.

For the record, up until about 4yrs ago i was blissfully happy here... or so i thought... and would i would espouse the virtues of Australia frequently. I dont really remember exctly when or why things changed. I just became increasingly irritated and disillusioned with the place. Maybe i was covering up the underlying misgivings i had when i first settled here,i'm not really sure, but because i am now forced to be somewhere that i really dislike and cant escape from for reasons out of my control, it irks even more.
i don't even have a nelly!
i have a sneaking suspicion that in spite of all the various complaints about oz, canada etc, that the simple reason is that it does not feel like home!
this feels like home for me and has since day one. what is the general opinion here on this? i am really interested
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:49 am
I don't give a damn

[QUOTE=kporte;7078989]
Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

i don't even have a nelly!
i have a sneaking suspicion that in spite of all the various complaints about oz, canada etc, that the simple reason is that it does not feel like home!
this feels like home for me and has since day one. what is the general opinion here on this? i am really interested
Of course there is that element to it, no denying it, but, by the same token, if you really dislike something about a place (or lots of things), it is a fact whether you feel you belong here or not. There are plenty of people who like living here yet find plenty of things they dislike about it, if you couple that with a desire to be somewhere you know you like, it will intensify the bad aspects.
That is only human nature.

You will never see me go into the barbie and slag off someone who says they are happy here. I am always truly happy for them, but those who are not happy for whatever multitude of reasons, are always slammed down on and made to feel like a whinger as Cricket puts it.

Last edited by Fleaflyfloflum; Dec 18th 2008 at 12:07 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;7079010]

Of course there is that element to it, no denying it, but, bye the same token, if you really dislike something about a place (or lots of things), it is a fact whether you feel you belong here or not. There are plenty of people who like living here yet find plenty of things they dislike about it, if you couple that with a desire to be somewhere you know you like, it will intensify the bad aspects.
That is only human nature.

You will never see me go into the barbie and slag off someone who says they are happy here. I am always truly happy for them, but those who are not happy for whatever multitude of reasons, are always slammed down on and made to feel like a whinger as Cricket puts it.
I realise that. people do get defensive and not only in the barbie although that is the best example. some folks get a bit heavy , even in here. shame really
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

I think though that feeling at "home" can change and can depend on where you at in your life , I can feel at home here too in lots of ways, good job nice area to live in friends etc but what makes me personally more unsettled now is that my home is too far away from the rest of the family and that is never going to change . I honestly didnt think about that aspect when I first lived here it was more exciting back then and I thought I can always go back but it is actually quite hard to do and I really admire people that just do go with their heart and get on with it unlike me
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Arghhhhhhh the quotes are getting all screwed up.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:55 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

When we told family that we were returning my parents told us that in the 12 months we'd been away things had changed dramatically:

Local estates were inundated with asylum seekers
Said asylum seekers regularly hassled people at the local supermarkets begging for money and selling food vouchers
There were no jobs in construction for OH
Kids were on every street corner abusing people and damaging property

In Laws warned us that there would be no job for hubby because the Poles had taken all the jobs in construction.

As you can probably guess, there were no such asylum seekers begging or otherwise (well if there are we haven't seen any in the 2 years we've been back).
Hubby walked straight into work the week after we arrived and has been busier than ever this year
Whilst we've seen kids hanging around, we haven't seen them cause any trouble or heard any abuse - they're just hanging out together like we used to do and like our kids used to. Of course there will be problems with gangs in certain areas, but people read about this in the news then assume that all kids are violent mindless thugs

People always ask why we returned but most understand when I explain our reasons. At the end of the day, like has been previously said, unless you've lived in another country how can you possibly feel qualified to advise someone else what to do with their life.

Since we came home, we've deliberately surrounded ourselves with positive, happy people rather than negative, miserable folk - it makes such a difference to how you feel yourself.

I've met many people who have lived in other countries since I returned and they all say the same thing - you have to leave the UK to appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.