Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Chip + PIN in the US! I used it!

Chip + PIN in the US! I used it!

Old Dec 5th 2014, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chip + PIN in the US! I used it!

Originally Posted by Steve_
I already pointed that out upthread, which is why I dug up the thread.

How it works in Wal-Mart is for amounts under $50 you just insert the card, that's it, period. For amounts over $50, you have to use your PIN as well. Which makes me think a lot of people are going to forget their PIN and get frustrated with it.
Maybe US/Canadian cards are different but Walmart requires the pin for every transaction, regardless of size, when using my Fairfx card
Old Dec 5th 2014, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I wonder whether the ability not to have to sign for smaller amounts at some stores will disappear after chip & pin becomes mandatory?
Didn't in Canada, they just introduced a tap and pay system. Tap the card and go, no signature, no pin needed. The amount is dependent on the bank that issued the card.

My debit has a 100 limit, where the Mastercard is up to 200, but I am sure merchants can pick lower amounts, but not sure.

Although my local Wally-Mart doesn't support tap and pay and a pin must always be entered, but most other retailers in town accept the tap system it seems, but Wal-Mart seems to have older systems when compared to other retailers.

Home Depot doesn't do tap and pay either. Not sure about Costco as we have no Amex, but since the Canadian stores are switching to Master Card next month, I'll check next time I am in there once they change is complete and see if they participate.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 5th 2014 at 11:48 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I got a shiny new AMEX today with a chip. I excitedly went out to use it and...
1. Target had a promising slot... covered over
2. Ross didn't have a slot
3. Dollar Tree didn't have a slot
4. Amco didn't have a slot.

Oh well!

RE 2 and 3 - I just needed some cheap crap, honest!
Old Dec 19th 2014, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I got a shiny new AMEX today with a chip. I excitedly went out to use it and...
1. Target had a promising slot... covered over
2. Ross didn't have a slot
3. Dollar Tree didn't have a slot
4. Amco didn't have a slot.

Oh well!

RE 2 and 3 - I just needed some cheap crap, honest!
Nothing for it then, you'll just have to endure pre-Christmas mayhem at Walmart.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

My shiny new WF credit card has a chip - haven't used it as such, and they are very old-fashioned in one way from a UK viewpoint: "Here's your PIN, you can't change it without ordering a new one."

Heck, I'm now going to have to find my PIN notice as I have no idea what it is...
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

TheTokenBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the first time I used it in the UK was in 2003. When my wife came over in 2007 she had no idea what it was and Asda wouldn't accept her card because it didn't have a chip on it. Now the US is finally getting on board with the system 12 years later!

Gawd Bless 'em, I say!
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:11 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said before, I take at least one trip per year, and aside than those merchants who don't take cards at all, I didn't realise it was something new in the US. Safeway has accepted chip & pin for as long as I remember. I've never had a problem in the US.

Admittedly, the banking and point of sale system in the US leaves a lot to be desired, but really, it's not all that far behind the UK - both have a lot of catching up to do. UK banks are almost equally as oblivious to the "rest of the world" (and charge dearly for conducting business with it).

I have a lot of peeves about Europe, but I have to admit that the banking and point of sale system here is fabulously easy, safe, and first-rate.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So I went into an American Wal-Mart yet again, one of the regular lines this time, same as before, it was about $30, inserted card, didn't ask for PIN because it was under $50. Asked the cashier about it and she said she'd never seen anyone use it before. I mention it purely because I just got a new card and this was the first time using it ever.

Kroger's have definitely got the terminals but they don't seem to be using them in every store yet.

Actually looking back through this thread the original time I used it, it was only $23.50 and it did ask me for my PIN. Now I've confused myself. Is it just one of these things that only occasionally asks for a PIN like when you tap it? I dunno. I give up. Meh.

Last edited by Steve_; Dec 24th 2014 at 6:40 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

You will likely see many more credit card companies and businesses getting onboard the Em's chip card wagon by October this year when rules regarding fraudulent use/reembersment change.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I used my Canadian Chip and Pin card at Wal-Mart last night in Skagit County, Washington and they did not ask for the pin, just swiped the card and off we went. Doesn't even appear the terminal they use at this store even has a spot to insert the card.

It appears Wal-Mart has not rolled it out nationwide at all stores.

Fair warning about Sea Tac airport, you may have issues with Canadian cards at the airport, our's will not work at this airport, tried both and no go both cards by different banks.

Called each bank and they say the cards should be working, and they worked fine last night at the hotel and Wal-Mart, so appears must be a airport issue.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed all the Trader Joes have switched their terminals for C+P rated units in the last couple of weeks.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Two of my cards (out of five) are C+P now. A Spark business card I received in December was still without C+P.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I noticed all the Trader Joes have switched their terminals for C+P rated units in the last couple of weeks.
I've noticed a lot of stores in the US have the terminals, but they haven't turned them on yet, except for Wal-Mart.

And I can't make heads or tails at this point of how it works at Wal-Mart. I've been into one store repeatedly where you always have to put in your PIN, and another one I put in my card and it just spat out the receipt, then another one I put in the card and I still had to sign on the screen. ???

I think their systems admin is still playing around with the software, I can't come to any other conclusion. The amounts are always around the same so it isn't that.

But looking on the bright side, after many years, I seem to finally be able to find my way around a Wal-Mart Supercenter.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Chip and Pin makes hotel guests aware of incidental holds and room + tax since now they have to put in their pin # for the pre-auth.

Seems based on reactions people for whatever reason think hotels don't take the money at check in, while we may not charge at check in, we certainly hold and make sure we secure the funds + incidental amount at check in.

Yes you need your entire stay + 100 for incidentals or I can't check you in.

Easier in the old days when you just held the funds and didn't tell the guest anything unless they asked.

Upside is its made charge backs nearly obsolete now that the PIN is required. In the past people would scam their banks and the hotel by saying they never stayed at a hotel in an effort to avoid paying, we generally won the charge back, but it was just a pain, now we get maybe 1 a month.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

So apparently I'm told by my bank that they've given up on chip + PIN and they're going with chip + signature. Even sent me a letter to this effect. And I went into a Wal-Mart in the US the other day and indeed, it is chip + signature.

I assume Americans were too dumb to get the hang of chip + PIN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.