Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Chicago...recommendations of must dos/sees please?

Chicago...recommendations of must dos/sees please?

Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago...recommendations of must dos/sees please?

Hi guys,

We are off to Chicago next weekend on a short honeymoon vacation!

Anything you recommend doing...whether it be touristy, or even better something special that not everyone knows about?

Cheers.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:46 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago...recommendations of must dos/sees please?

You can get Hamilton tickets there. Worth watching.
I liked the U-boat in the museum. Go up that tall tower and have a meal or a drink.
Visit Lower Whackjob Drive and see where the Blues Brothers was filmed.
Go to the streets beneath the streets and have a cheeseburger at the place where they are rude to you.
Billy Goat Tavern. And don't get shot.

Eat deep dish pizza. Eat the Polish sausages. Rent a boat on that big lake thing.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Aug 7th 2018 at 8:51 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:57 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Pizza in chicago is winner.

also, do this - TILT! Chicago's Newest Thrill Ride - 360 Chicago
Old Aug 7th 2018, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean you're going to be in town on Aug 11/12 then definitely go to the Northalstead Market Days up in Boys Town, that has to be one of the best things happening in Chicago this weekend. The Neighbourhood Summer Fests in Chicago are great and this is one of the best

https://northalsted.com/marketdays/

If the skies are clear then pop up the Sears/Willis tower and have your picture taken on the Skydeck
Go and see the Bean
The Art Institute is pretty good lots of well known paintings in there
Go to the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor of the Hancock, it's a great view at night
Go on the Ferris Wheel on Navy Pier
The Redhead Piano Bar on Ontario is good
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Chicago for several weeks last summer, and I agree with some of Dave's recommendations, but not all.

Much as the view from the Sears/Willis Tower is amazing, the wait to get up there in an August weekend will be unpleasant. Not sure if your best option is to go when it opens at 9, to go another time, or go up the other tower, whose name I forget.

Yes, the bean is very cool.

The Art Institute, the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry are all world class museums, though the Museum of Science and Industry is not downtown.

We didn't go to Navy Pier when we were there, partly because it's quite a distance from downtown. If I was there only for a weekend, I'm sure I wouldn't go.

Yes, eat the deep dish pizza. It's not some amazing culinary experience, but it's definitely a Chicago experience. That said, there are some really good traditional pizza places. We enjoyed eating at Eataly so much that we went there about five times.

Oh, and if you like them, Chicago has some really good donut shops, and other bakeries.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

PORTILLO'S!! Italian beef and cake shake. That is all.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 5:52 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot. There's some excellent music to be had. I was particularly fond of a style called The Jazz, which was enjoyed at a place called the Green Mill, supposedly frequented by local mobster Al Capone.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 5:56 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have much time, it's a big city.

My order of preference on the big museums:
1. Art Institute
2. Science and Industry
3. Shedd Aquarium
4. Field Museum
5. Planetarium

Avoid Navy Pier
The North Pond Restaurant is my favorite romantic dinner spot.
Renting a Divvy bike and riding up the lake front is fun if the weather's good.
Deep dish / stuffed is fine, I prefer tavern cut Chicago thin crust. Balena makes a mean (non-Chicago style) coal-fired thin crust.
Walk around the back streets of the Gold Coast, it's a cool neighborhood.
The Map Room is a great bar. Three Dots and a Dash is a fun retro Tiki place.
Lunch at Cindy's Rooftop on Michigan Ave is really nice if you can be outside.
I'd recommend seeing a baseball game at Wrigley but it's ridiculously expensive, out of the way, time consuming and it's hard to get tickets. Still worth doing if you can.
Avoid most anything "Al Capone" related.
Avoid most anything in the Loop (with several notable exceptions).
The Lyric Opera and Goodman Theater are both great.

Last edited by Hiro11; Aug 8th 2018 at 6:10 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
Hi guys,

We are off to Chicago next weekend on a short honeymoon vacation!

Anything you recommend doing...whether it be touristy, or even better something special that not everyone knows about?

Cheers.
Gino's East on Superior and Michigan for deep dish pizza. The Pizza and Oven Grinder Company at Clark near Armitage for a different type of pizza. Take an architectural boat ride on the Chicago River near the Tribune Tower (Michigan Ave. & Wacker). Anything along the lakefront stay on the northside. Avoid the black belt south or west of the loop.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Navy Pier
Miracle Mile
Second City comedy club (legendary; many of the cast of Saturday Night Live got their start there)
Wrigley Field if the Cubs are in town. Iconic American experience.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Isthisyourball is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in Chicago for 4 days last month - brilliant city. From my short break I'd agree on the Bean in Millennium Park and the Art Institute. As people say Wrigley is a great stadium if you are at all into baseball, and the area around it is pretty cool for bars.

My favorite thing was an architectural boat tour along the river run by the Chicago Architecture Center. Great views of loads of the skyscrapers with a very informative guide.

We also went to a rooftop bar at London House which is right by the river, about 20 or so storeys up and has great views (for 350degrees...). Just costs whatever you pay at the bar.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Much as the view from the Sears/Willis Tower is amazing, the wait to get up there in an August weekend will be unpleasant. Not sure if your best option is to go when it opens at 9, to go another time, or go up the other tower, whose name I forget.
Too late for this trip but the other tower is now the tower formerly known as the Hancock and there will be a long wait there as well. Top tip: Skip the observation deck and go up to the bar on the 96th floor. No admission fee so even with an expensive beverage it's probably cheaper and with less waiting.