Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Old May 28th 2011, 2:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Very educational, as usual.
You. Shut. Up.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
You. Shut. Up.
Mornin' Darlin'.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
It was a fellow Brit who got to make the decision to axe her not a Yank......just sayin'
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Simon Cowell? If so that's not what I read...it was the execs at Fox who decided to get rid of her.
Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I read Cowell was the one that wanted her and the execs here in the US gave it the .......did a few searches yesterday to see what all the fuss was about.
Either way, she was fired because nobody (as this thread illustrates) knew who the hell she was or could understand a word she said. It'd be like sending Jessica Simpson to the UK and expecting them roll out the red carpet for her ... not likely. A talentless annoying bimbo is fodder no matter which way the Boeing is flying.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:41 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Mornin' Darlin'.
Hiya Schnookums.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Her hideous, grating voice would drive anybody mad, but then I don't watch the show anyway.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I read Cowell was the one that wanted her and the execs here in the US gave it the .......did a few searches yesterday to see what all the fuss was about.
That's what I read too. Fox eventually gave way to him but made it clear if it didn't work out she would be out of the door.

Either way, she was fired because nobody (as this thread illustrates) knew who the hell she was or could understand a word she said. It'd be like sending Jessica Simpson to the UK and expecting them roll out the red carpet for her ... not likely. A talentless annoying bimbo is fodder no matter which way the Boeing is flying.
Very true.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:27 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

It's time the Americans recognised the fact that the entire British Isles are awash with all kinds of local and regional accents and dialects, often contained within comparatively very small geographical areas.
But they still wouldn't give a shit who Cheryl Cole is.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Cheryl Cole is a real Geordie, being from Newcastle-upon-Tyne / Tyneside. If she had been born in nearby Sunderland then she'd have been a Mackem, and not a Geordie, as true Geordieland covers a much smaller area of North East England than most people realise.

I went for an interview for possible admittance to Newcastle uni in 2000 and the two people on the reception desk (a man and a woman) had very distinct Geordie accents, the man particularly so, but strong as his accent was I had no problems understanding him - none whatsoever - as here in Edinburgh we are used to hearing the Geordie accent as so many of them come up here on jollies, being jot all that far from Geordieland.

Another lad was there with me for interview as well, and he came from Wiltshire, in the south of England, and even though the reception man was very well spoken his accent caused this lad appeared to have some problems with full comprehension and he had to ask the man to repeat himself several times. The Geordie accent was obviously quite new to him.

I eventually ended up at Leeds uni anyway, and I honestly had more problems understanding some of the broader aspects of the local Leeds/West Yorkshire accent.

I read in a newspaper here that many Americans thnnk that all British people (well, English British people, shall we say) speak Standard RP English and that they all speak like the Queen or Hugh Grant or Dame Judi Dench (and she's originally from York so I reckon drama school may have tones down her accent quite a lot!)

It's time the Americans recognised the fact that the entire British Isles are awash with all kinds of local and regional accents and dialects, often contained within comparatively very small geographical areas. Glasgow and Edinburgh "speak" are very different from each other - 40 miles apart, and similary Liverpool and Manchester, and Birmingham and Coventry, all down in England, to name just a few examples.

Listen to some Geordies speaking....from the Hebburn area of Tyneside, just across the River Tyne from Newcastle city centre. They all sound very clear and understandable to me, but as I say, I'm used to hearing Geordies sounding off. Perhaps there are a wee bit of the "posher" Geordies, if there is such a thing as a "posh" Geordie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordin...-hebburn.shtml
Um, shoe, foot, it's the same here too boyo.
Old May 29th 2011, 1:02 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Um, shoe, foot, it's the same here too boyo.
very true
Old May 29th 2011, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

They should roll out some episodes of Auf Wiedersen Pet! and Spender.
CCs accent will seem quite mild after that.
I'm hard of hearing but I still managed to follow and enjoy both before programs were generally subtitled.

I still don't understand what CC has not dropped Cole as her surname. Clearly works better as a brand than Tweedy!
Old May 29th 2011, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Who's Jessica Simpson?
Old May 29th 2011, 6:41 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Who's Jessica Simpson?
Exactly.
Old May 29th 2011, 7:21 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Who's Jessica Simpson?
Daisy Duke in the re murder of the Dukes of Hazzard
Old May 29th 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
Daisy Duke in the re murder of the Dukes of Hazzard
Oh. Never saw the original so can't compare. I would guess it is not worth wasting time watching it! Another name I keep "seeing/hearing is Snookie. Anyone who can enlighten me?
My knowledge has tripled since joining this forum...yeah I know I was pretty dumb to start with
Old May 29th 2011, 8:07 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. Never saw the original so can't compare. I would guess it is not worth wasting time watching it! Another name I keep "seeing/hearing is Snookie. Anyone who can enlighten me?
My knowledge has tripled since joining this forum...yeah I know I was pretty dumb to start with
Snookie .....a foul mouthed little trollop, thats cashing in while she can, many younger girlies appear to be following the Snookie hair style in this neck of the woods its not nice not nice at all....she gets drunk all the time shows off her ass and swears like a drunken fisherman ( I guess she might have some Poppy heritage in her back in the day lol)
Attached Thumbnails Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent-snookie-chav-us-style.bmp  

Last edited by Poppy girl; May 29th 2011 at 8:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.