Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheryl Cole dumped from US X Factor due to Geordie accent

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I still say I'm British just to be a pain in the arse. But I'm a contrarian like that.

Hey - didn't homo sapiens originate in East Africa then migrate to Europe via the Middle East and that? Does that mean we can say we're African-Moorish-Arabic-Slavic-Teutonic-Roman-Viking-Anglo Saxon-American?

Or am I just stirring shit . . .
There is DNA testing that can tell you that.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:05 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
So I wonder, You do not hear American-Anglo very much, is it something long standing in the Anglo culture, or because the Brits have been in America for longer or is it something partly political, other elasticities want to differentiate themselves from the dominant or longer established culture? It could be the arrogance of power or entitlement (We have been reminded of something similar with the speech from Bernstein, at FIFA talking about "The F.A." seems it rubs others up the wrong way because he does not say "English F.A.")
Originally Posted by dakota44
I think it is quite likely because Brits have been here since before the Revolution, some tracing back to the Mayflower. But who knows for sure.
Been wondering about this one for some time myself.
How is it that Americans go all loopy over the Irish, alternately macho and soppy over the Wops and casually identify with Poland, Scotland or other places? All of which they can claim recent descent from......
Its pretty clear how black people here have the "curse" of slavery to overcome and in doing so, generate their own "replacement" culture and Indians are unique in that theirs is considered separate and distinct by the Yanks.

My own impression is that the US simply hasn't taken English culture into its own. Not laws, language and all that - I mean the culture.
You see Irish pubs, Polish and Italian foods, Black hairdressers and Churches, St Patrick's day, Scottish festivals and so on and so forth.....

Sure, I expect many here have found that the reaction is positive that you are English when asked where you are from, but it never ceases to amaze me how the Yanks are confused or amazed by the differences between us when you consider their first origins.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
There is DNA testing that can tell you that.
Yeah but it's way more fun to be facetious isn't it?
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I still say I'm British just to be a pain in the arse. But I'm a contrarian like that.

Hey - didn't homo sapiens originate in East Africa then migrate to Europe via the Middle East and that? Does that mean we can say we're African-Moorish-Arabic-Slavic-Teutonic-Roman-Viking-Anglo Saxon-American?

Or am I just stirring shit . . .
Yes, we all came out of Africa.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, we all came out of Africa.
I bet I'd get into some trouble if I tried to refer to myself as 'African-American' though, wouldn't I
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody considered that she may also have been fired because she's actually quite shit?

My perception of America is that they are much less forgiving than the British and not as eager to bolster celebrity onto talentless idiots. The whole Jade Goody debacle was testament that Britain often rewards the obnoxious and stupid.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Has anybody considered that she may also have been fired because she's actually quite shit?

My perception of America is that they are much less forgiving than the British and not as eager to bolster celebrity onto talentless idiots. The whole Jade Goody debacle was testament that Britain often rewards the obnoxious and stupid.
Yup, no celebrity talentless idiots here.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

Have you watched any American TV, or listened to any music in the last 20 years
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

My perception of America is that they are much less forgiving than the British and not as eager to bolster celebrity onto talentless idiots.
I refer the honourable person to post #45 in this very thread.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Might of been better to of thought up a different celeb to knock, what ever anyone thought of her she is dead now and was a mother and liked by many..poor choice
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I refer the honourable person to post #45 in this very thread.
She's better than the Kardashians
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:09 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
She's better than the Kardashians
the dump I took this morning was better than the Kardashians
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Juswus
They live in our town, what a shower (of shit).
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:14 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
I cannot stand those talentless bimbos...why do we have to put up with thier constant crap!!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Might of been better to of thought up a different celeb to knock, what ever anyone thought of her she is dead now and was a mother and liked by many..poor choice
I'm sorry but the fact that she is now dead is irrelevant, whilst I agree that it was a tragedy for any human being to die that age, that she even tried to profit to some extent from her treatment by allowing a camera crew to film her is testament to the kind of human being she was.

There is a massive culture in Britain for people to want, and occasionally obtain, celebrity without having pretty much any talent or skill to justify it. A few exceptions aside, like the Kardashians, I don't think that happens quite as much in the US.

Then again, America did create 'The Hills' so maybe I am wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.