Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:47 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Abortion doctors.
That's not today so it's forgotten.

Fortunately I despise all religions (somewhat) equally. I must admit to a certain bias creeping in of late however. I think I'm getting a bit tired of all the hand-waving-religion-of-peace bullshit.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In the 1500s, the Catholics would have, no question. The Islamist extremists now are no different than them. Interestingly, during that time, the Islamic world was one of enlightenment and scientific advancement.

It's the same stuff, just behind the banner of a different book. My point remains, in this day and age that any group of people would kill anyone under the banner of any mythology is just sad beyond words.
So we could say that extremists act in extreme ways.

I am not expected to apologise for deaths caused by Christian extremists or white supremacists.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Buddhists murdering Muslims in Burma.
Christians murdering (and eating) Muslims in CAR.
All contemporary.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So we could say that extremists act in extreme ways.
I already did, sort of.

I am not expected to apologise for deaths caused by Christian extremists or white supremacists.
Well of course you're not.

I personally don't think muslims have to apologise for anything. If the moderates alienate and marginalise the extremists, eventually the movement will lose traction. It'll take time, of course.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That's not today so it's forgotten.

Fortunately I despise all religions (somewhat) equally. I must admit to a certain bias creeping in of late however. I think I'm getting a bit tired of all the hand-waving-religion-of-peace bullshit.
There are things the west could have done better, going back to colonial times, which would have reduced the growth of Islamic fundamentalism. To then step back and say "why oh why has this happened?" is naive.

On a day-to-day basis, Islam doesn't affect my life at all; presumably you mean hand-waving in news items?

I just feel very sad all round, of course for the deaths in Paris and also for the race hatred that will ensue.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
All religions are not (so far as I know) killing people for drawing cartoons. .....
This.

Tolerance is not equally shared by the main global religions.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A small reminder that we lovely peaceful people have caused suffering too.

Iraq study estimates war-related deaths at 461,000 - BBC News
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are things the west could have done better, going back to colonial times, which would have reduced the growth of Islamic fundamentalism. To then step back and say "why oh why has this happened?" is naive. .....
That is part of the reason, but certainly not the only part. There is another peculiar reason for the rise of islamic fundamentalism in the 1970's. At that time there was considerable US paranoia about the direct intervention of the USSR invading countries, and which were later proved to be a legitimate concern when the USSR invaded Afghanistan, en route to an anticipated invasion of Pakistan. But there was also US paranoia about countries spontaneously (without an invasion) becoming satellites of the USSR, and indeed several Middle Eastern countries did develop close ties with the USSR, most notably Syria and Libya, but also Saddam Hussein's Iraq and post-revolution Iran. The CIA cooked up what even at the time can't have been the best idea, but looking back was just playing with fire, to promote islamic thinking as a bulwark against the spread of communist ideology in the Middle East.

It is ironic that after the collapse of the Communist Bloc, which never proved capable of delivering the threat which America and Western Europe feared, the greatest threat to peace and stability of much of the western world, though at a "small attack - terrorist level", not the nuclear holocaust level feared during the cold war, is from the islamic fundamentalist groups that were funded and encouraged by the CIA to "stop the spread of communism".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2015 at 2:56 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

presumably you mean hand-waving in news items?
Pretty much.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Publishing Muhammad cartoons would have been too risky, says Amol Rajan | Media | The Guardian

This says an awful lot.

I have never understood why the likes of the Independent have been apologists, you would have thought it would have been completely opposite their views.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
.... I have never understood why the likes of the Independent have been apologists, you would have thought it would have been completely opposite their views.
Just because you can jab a stick in a hornets' nest doesn't mean that it is sensible to do so.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:49 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

When will conservatives apologize for Anders Breivik? He killed 77 people and was a committed Islamophobe.

Collective guilt sure is good fun.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Just because you can jab a stick in a hornets' nest doesn't mean that it is sensible to do so.
They seemingly have no problem when covering other areas, when it comes to the religion of peace different standards seem to apply.

Which is of course part of the problem.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

As I've pointed out...my concern is what their religion actually teaches regarding gender equality and behaviour towards non-adherents, and in what manner conflicts can arise within the society that they currently exist.

A religion of peace?
A religion of equality for all?
A religion of respect for all humanity?

Would anyone claim these as core teachings?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
As I've pointed out...my concern is what their religion actually teaches regarding gender equality and behaviour towards non-adherents, and in what manner conflicts can arise within the society that they currently exist.

A religion of peace?
A religion of equality for all?
A religion of respect for all humanity?

Would anyone claim these as core teachings?
Addressing the points with respect to religion as a whole:

A religion of peace? I have yet to see one
A religion of equality for all? I have yet to see one
A religion of respect for all humanity? I have yet to see one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.