Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is a cancer in a number if countries that politicians seem unwilling or unable to deal with, and people are increasingly sick of it. Something will have to change.
I was saying this to the wife when we found out about this this morning. It's gonna get to a point where people say enough. It seems to be starting to happen in Germany already. The world seems to be getting a scarier place by the day at the minute!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Wonder how The Life of Brian would go down if they switched out the religion in question.
"The Interview (with Mohammed)". ..... Based on what's going on in Syria, I fear that that film would lead to a very different sort of "hacking" than "The Interview" did.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2015 at 5:55 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly they are clean away, but hopefully not.
Looks like an easy route to the UK via Calais from what I hear...
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a very tricky one for some sections of the media to deal with, the Pen comment is an example.

I read the Guardian on line and you can see the same confusion in their coverage.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is a very tricky one for some sections of the media to deal with, the Pen comment is an example.

I read the Guardian on line and you can see the same confusion in their coverage.
That's what happens when you argue without any solid moral foundation. If you want unfettered freedom from personal responsibility and from peer pressure to conform to society's norms, things can get mighty confusing.

[Politically Correct cartoon]
I think you've just offended some Eskimos.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2015 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

That's what happens when you argue without any solid moral foundation. If you want unfettered freedom from personal responsibility and from peer pressure to conform to society's norms, things can get mighty confusing.

I think you've just offended some Eskimos.
It would be fascinating to sit in on their editorial meetings.

As a general comment this sort of incident is not exactly surprising, and my assumption will become more common.

Not exactly clear how a hashtag campaign will change things.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is that the overwhelming majority of the "Christian community" (whatever that means) are as repulsed by the likes of M Veigh and Brevik, and in the US many Christians are fully supportive of the death penalty for such heinous acts, where as the muslim community is apparently (very obviously) at least passively tolerant of the terrorists in their midst, and It is well documented that certain mosques have supportive groups of like-minded individuals, and neither islamic leaders or the muslims who attend those mosques seem to be even trying to do anything to excise the cancer in their midst nor even to distance themselves from such extremist groups.

The analogy goes all the way to "the top of the house", where the Pope and other Christian leaders call for peace, out reach and reconciliation, whereas the Mad Mullahs of Tehran and other muslim leaders with a public platform often have a very different message to convey.
This is what I mean - yes there are certain hardline mosques as there are certain hardline churches or other groups. With reference to condemnation of the acts, I have read plenty of condemnation today online from faith representatives like Tariq Ramadan (UK), Ismael Menk (UAE)and others - there was a whole social media campaign recently #notinmyname that reflected mainstream Muslim opinion against extremism. It is there but it isn't trendy enough for widespread awareness. There is a rubric that Muslims=bad and against everyone, which isn't true.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of views on what has happened today. But ultimately I just feel immense sadness.

Tears formed when I saw the police officer already wounded and lying with his hands up get executed with a single shot to the temple.

Devastating. Brutal. I cried.

A very sad. HH.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is that the overwhelming majority of the "Christian community" (whatever that means) are as repulsed by the likes of McVeigh
No no, you've got it all wrong. McVeigh was just a mentally troubled lone wolf and in no way representative of white Christian community.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I have lots of views on what has happened today. But ultimately I just feel immense sadness.

Tears formed when I saw the police officer already wounded and lying with his hands up get executed with a single shot to the temple.

A very sad. HH.
Agree - it is devastating and I feel very upset about it too.

A sad Hoffage too.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by hoffage123
This is what I mean - yes there are certain hardline mosques as there are certain hardline churches or other groups. With reference to condemnation of the acts, I have read plenty of condemnation today online from faith representatives like Tariq Ramadan (UK), Ismael Menk (UAE)and others - there was a whole social media campaign recently #notinmyname that reflected mainstream Muslim opinion against extremism. It is there but it isn't trendy enough for widespread awareness. There is a rubric that Muslims=bad and against everyone, which isn't true.
You have misread or misconstrued what I wrote. "Christian" terrorists are almost universally ostracized by the Christian community. The same is not true of the muslim community, and the "notinmyname" campaign was notable exactly because it was so unusual and such a small minority of the billion muslims around the world. ..... And you apparently have no counter to my observation about the Pope, Arch Bishop of Canterbury etc. vs the Mad Mullahs of Iran, ...... because there is no counter, it's every bit as bad as it looks: chalk v cheese.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

There is a rubric that Muslims=bad
Any 'religion' in which females are inherently second class with less rights than males is absolutely bad.

In my opinion.

(And that's not just Islam.)

(Actually I think all religion is bad anyway. It's time humanity moved on from believing that the supernatural is an active influence in life. In my opinion.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 7th 2015 at 6:48 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

I know they did a poll in the UK about the Danish cartoons and the vast majority favoured prosecution.

I remember the Monty Python fuss way back when and some people did not like the film but that was as far is it went.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

A very sad. HH.
I agree with some of your sentiment, but you (and Novocastrian) are still oblivious as to how tough it is going to be to deal with this situation that has been brewing for many decades. ..... And saying that the policeman was "executed" is (very small) part of the PC nonsense that led us to where we are today: he wasn't "executed", he was murdered, plain and simple!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 7th 2015 at 6:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.