Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Changing Perceptions Back Home: I Miss The Jealousy!

Changing Perceptions Back Home: I Miss The Jealousy!

Old May 18th 2016, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Chestle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Perceptions Back Home: I Miss The Jealousy!

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'd like to start off with a confession that will make me appear somewhat shallow, but I say this somewhat tongue in cheek - I miss the jealousy of the people back home!

I moved to the US 15 years ago in 2001. I met my American wife and went through all the appropriate channels to get my green card and move to the US. I remember it all feeling like such a huge step up from dreary old Blighty. Every day felt like a vacation as I moved into a big house in the Texas sunshine, spending my weekends swimming in a pool surrounded by palm trees.

For a guy that grew up taking a summer vacation in a Welsh caravan park, it really was like a lottery win.

And I'll admit, I really enjoyed the jealousy of my friends and family back home. When I'd go home and get talking to strangers in the pub and the subject would come up about me living in the US these days, they'd grow fascinated and excited - what's it like, how can they get there, they'd love to move there themselves one day, etc.

Seems today in 2016, all of that has changed. Whether it's a post-911 world, whether it was the damage done by the Bush administration to America's reputation, whether it's the rise of annoying cultural icons like the Kardashians, Bruce Jenner, Honey Boo Boo, Donald Trump, etc, or the more serious social problems of weekly shootings and racist riots, it seems like the people in England just don't have any reverence or love for America anymore, at least in my world.

I went back home to Manchester and Liverpool earlier this year, and general opinions of me living there ranged from disgust and anger - "Why would you want to live over there, they're all fat/nuts/stupid/racist" to demeaning, patronizing bemusement "Aren't they all 25 stone and stupid over there?" "Have you been shot yet?"

I recall how growing up, America was always looked upon fondly by the UK, kinda like the weird little nephew that you laughed with but loved anyway. Today the UK's perception of the USA that I see on social media, in comments sections and in the pubs back home, is one of disdain.

Nobody asks how they can move here anymore. Nobody tells me how lucky I am. Nobody tells me how great it is that I moved out of England and bettered myself. Now it's the opposite - when are you coming home? You must be daft staying out there!

Anyone else have any similar feelings?

TL,DR: America has gone from this fantastical, wonderful larger than life playground of Hollywood, beaches and "Have A Nice Day" to a laughing stock of school shootings, race riots, and dumb reality TV characters that nobody looks up to.
Old May 18th 2016, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Perceptions Back Home: I Miss The Jealousy!

I think a lot of the mystery of the US has disappeared since more people have access to the internet. Back in 2001 the internet was still only really for techies.
Old May 18th 2016, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Chestle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think a lot of the mystery of the US has disappeared since more people have access to the internet. Back in 2001 the internet was still only really for techies.
I didn't think of that actually, that's a great point. I think now it's all been bared, warts and all.

It's funny though, because England is still VERY revered over here. There's so much love and respect for the Brits, and nothing seems to damage that - whether it's things like the BBC, Savile, Hillsborough, etc or any news stories about stabbings, immigrants, etc. They Americans love us.

It used to be more mutual, but sadly it's been lost.
Old May 18th 2016, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

or maybe 15 years on everyone is more cynical - your friends and family back home are now that much more world weary

The stereotype of Americans has always been that they are fat, watch TV all night eating pizza and have loads of guns and no culture.

and all you need to so is check out the constant threads of daydreamers wanting to move over here and start a new life, the American Dream is still there ( and regularly dashed! )
Old May 18th 2016, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chestle
I didn't think of that actually, that's a great point. I think now it's all been bared, warts and all.

It's funny though, because England is still VERY revered over here. There's so much love and respect for the Brits, and nothing seems to damage that - whether it's things like the BBC, Savile, Hillsborough, etc or any news stories about stabbings, immigrants, etc. They Americans love us.

That's because At least half the Americans I meet still think the UK is all Downton Abbey. Real global news or politics just doesn't enter their orbit.
Old May 18th 2016, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

When I told my work colleagues I was moving to California, it was a case of 'you jammy effer, sunshine all season, sit on the beach all day drinking mojito's'
The perception and reality, 12 hour days, certainly no beach or mojito's!" But you know what? Yeah I am a jammy effer!
I think the assumption is a holiday resort is the real world!
Old May 18th 2016, 9:47 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

This may come as a surprise but many people in Britain don't want to move to America because they enjoy a good lifestyle in the UK today. If a Brit wanted to emigrate to another country 3 out of five would choose Oz since the culture there is closer to that of the UK than that of the US

Last edited by dc koop; May 18th 2016 at 9:49 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
This may come as a surprise but many people in Britain don't want to move to America because they enjoy a good lifestyle in the UK today. If a Brit wanted to emigrate to another country 3 out of five would choose Oz since the culture there is closer to that of the UK than that of the US
Where do Americans dream of emigrating to? London is not paved with gold unless you're an oligarch.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:57 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

When I left the UK for Canada it wasn't my intention to end up in the US. The rotten winters and shortage of jobs in winter led me to move to the US. I met my wife who was from Minnesota not long afterwards, like me fleeing to California for the warmer weather. No regrets I came here. America my friends has been veddy, veddy good to me
Old May 18th 2016, 9:59 pm
Banned

Where do Americans dream of emigrating to? London is not paved with gold unless you're an oligarch.
A lot of Yanks like Australia it seems to me. At least anyway lots of them would love to take a trip there one day
Old May 18th 2016, 10:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

A big part of it could be that the people you are talking to are much more settled than they were 15 years ago.

When I left 10 years ago, lots of my friends, like me, had young children, people were just starting to get established in their careers and were buying family houses, everyone was oh you're so lucky... Now all our kids are early teens, they've grown up with the same kids playing the same sports and all the parents get together down the pub after the game. Careers are going well, and they are making more money, they've stayed in the same house and got it how they want it, go on a couple of vacations a year, have nice cars, and have lots more disposable income. They are basically happy with their lives. What's to be jealous of?
Old May 18th 2016, 10:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chestle

It is???????????????? I don't know one person in the greater NYC area, other than Brits, who feel that way.

Think you are just a bit too full of yourself.
Old May 18th 2016, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and they are able to get their fill of bacon and sausage rolls.
A bacon butty with brown sauce is so much better than a Big Mac
Old May 18th 2016, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Why would an American want to leave the land of the free and the home of the brave!?

Everywhere overseas is peasants living in mud huts, except England which is the aforementioned Downton Abbey scenario
Old May 18th 2016, 10:45 pm
Banned

Not to mention cozy village tea shops and rosy cheeked old ladies servings scones and biscuits and the rustic pub down the road where jovial red faced farm workers sup their daily helpings of Bulmers Woodpecker cider

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.